Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

Hey, everyone! I received a an e-mail from the department head of one of the mathematics PhD programs I applied to saying that I did not indicate in my application whether I am also applying for admission without their financial support,in which case they would not offer admission with assistantship to me. 

I honestly am not sure what to make of this. The e-mail was addressed to about 6 other students as well. However, why would the program ask me if I needed financial support unless they were interested? I hope it is a positive sign! Did anyone else have something similar happen to them?

Best of luck everyone :) I know this time of year is so stressful with all of the uncertainty and waiting to hear back from schools.

Wow!  It's hard at this point to offer any clear advice when I would be so happy with an email that they could offer me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and I would jump for joy.  But, if I squint past my haze of desperation for just a moment I would say ANSWER THEM ASAP.  If you cannot attend without funding let them know that you are applying for funding.  If you can do without it, let them know that.  I have seen so many acceptances without funding on the results page it might be that they have a spot for you, but not the funding.  It could be that not applying for it could mean a swifter acceptance.  Anyone with more experience, please add your thoughts...Oh, oh, the haze of desperation is returning....what I wouldn't do for an email asking me anything.... :blink:

I don't know if this is some kind of omen or whatever, but my advisor here at undergrad just sent me an email on an unrelated topic (a letter of recommendation for a fellowship) with a cryptic line attached to it. She doesn't know I haven't heard back from anyone yet, since I haven't spoken to her about grad schools since the spring semester started. 

"By the way, I just had a fabulous conversation with (Professor) from (University I'm applying to)! Sounds like a great person to work with! :)" 

.....A conversation?!? About work? About me?!? WHAT? What happened?! SPILL! 

Edited by Halcyon17

For some reason, I can't edit the status above, but I just got a response back from the professor in question. I told her I hadn't heard back yet and asked her what it was about. Her response? 

Well stay tuned then :) :) :)

AH!!!! 

For some reason, I can't edit the status above, but I just got a response back from the professor in question. I told her I hadn't heard back yet and asked her what it was about. Her response? 

AH!!!! 

Congratulations!!!!!! I think we can all agree that this is a great sign!

Congrats.  That is awesome!!!!  Here's to you!  We'd love some details.

There aren't many details about my acceptance to Purdue, they basically just said I was accepted. But, I got an email from Georgia Tech the next day saying that I am accepted pending graduate school approval, told me who my POI would be (I have been talking to him since October so no surprise there) and said that my tuition would be paid and I have a TA position for my first year to allow time for my POI to find funding for me. Then the POI responded to that email within 5 minutes to congratulate me on being accepted and that he really hopes I choose to go there!

AH!!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let us know when it's official!

Edited by Pericles II.ii.48

AH!!!! 

First of all, welcome! Secondly that is an amazing sign.  She obviously doesn't want to spill the beans.  I would get ready for some good news if I were you....so exciting!

There aren't many details about my acceptance to Purdue, they basically just said I was accepted. But, I got an email from Georgia Tech the next day saying that I am accepted pending graduate school approval, told me who my POI would be (I have been talking to him since October so no surprise there) and said that my tuition would be paid and I have a TA position for my first year to allow time for my POI to find funding for me. Then the POI responded to that email within 5 minutes to congratulate me on being accepted and that he really hopes I choose to go there!

I am so happy for you!  That is so exciting..two acceptances all ready.  Well excuse me!  Here's to you.  We celebrate your success, even as we bemoan our own fate, rending our garments and gnashing our teeth.  But enough of that.  Congrats, congrats!!!!

I'm not sure if it's all the time I've been spending on here, but last night I had a dream where I realized I wasn't accepted anywhere. I'm hoping it's just a manifestation of my anxiety and not an omen.

:unsure:

First of all, welcome! Secondly that is an amazing sign.  She obviously doesn't want to spill the beans.  I would get ready for some good news if I were you....so exciting!

I hope so, the school in question was my second choice, and now that I looked up that guy, it's moved up to my first choice. His research interests perfectly line up with mine! *fingers crossed* 

I hope so, the school in question was my second choice, and now that I looked up that guy, it's moved up to my first choice. His research interests perfectly line up with mine! *fingers crossed* 

Fingers, toes, eyes....but honestly it doesn't sound like you're going to need it.  I'm not one to make predictions, but it sounds like you are so in....keep us posted.  :D

Honestly, I don't know if I can consider that a good sign, and if it were an omen it would not be a good one.  So, let us not name it.  Let us just wait for the good news that you are going to get soon!!!!! And we want all the details when it comes!  :D

fnx Eager, i thought so too. fingers crossed.

Received two interview invites over the weekend, one of which was from the dream school!! I have to share that my GRE scores were awfully low and I wrote the wrong SCHOOL halfway in my application, because I was doing two apps on the same day.

I was DISTRAUGHT when I realized...but quickly contacted the department to let them know of the mistake. I had almost given up hope until this weekend!

I'm praying that the interview will not be in vain! All things are possible!! Be encouraged.

Received two interview invites over the weekend, one of which was from the dream school!! I have to share that my GRE scores were awfully low and I wrote the wrong SCHOOL halfway in my application, because I was doing two apps on the same day.

I was DISTRAUGHT when I realized...but quickly contacted the department to let them know of the mistake. I had almost given up hope until this weekend!

I'm praying that the interview will not be in vain! All things are possible!! Be encouraged.

What a positive post.  I saw this in the morning, just when my day was getting started and I was encouraged.  AND so excited for you.  Getting interviews is a significant accomplishment, and one from your dream school? Wowzer!.  I've read posts on the results page where people were rejected and didn't even get an interview.  I'm sure they will go well. Keep us posted and congrats!

I had yet ANOTHER nightmare about not getting in anywhere. Except this time, I could see all the reasons why they hadn't admitted me. I hope I have one night of sleep during this month. 

Got an Email ( in my spam, no less- and yes, I'm checking my spam-don't judge me :)), from dream school's store with a 10%discount to buy school apparel for my a valentine! Good sign?

Makes me want to read and re-read my spam box all day today. ;)

Fingers, toes, eyes....but honestly it doesn't sound like you're going to need it.  I'm not one to make predictions, but it sounds like you are so in....keep us posted.  :D

Well, I'll be sure to post here once I hear something (and upload my results to the results search too). Gah, the wait is killing me! (And to make matters worse, my own University keeps sending me emails with the words 'university' or 'program' in the subject, giving me mini-heart attacks every time I check my email, haha.)

Got an Email ( in my spam, no less- and yes, I'm checking my spam-don't judge me :)), from dream school's store with a 10%discount to buy school apparel for my a valentine! Good sign?

Well, I care too much to lie, it's not a good sign in the traditional sense.  A good sign would be an interview invite, a nice email from a POI, things like that.  Now, omens are mystical, so someone might consider it an omen.  Personally, I wish I had an email about anything, for anything, regarding anything (except a rejection) from my program.  So..let's go with an omen.  It would be so courageous to actually buy some apparel and wear it as though you got in.  Not sure I could do that.