Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

I feel like this is 12-step program for anxiety  :)  Hi, my name is Goober and I check my email 40 times a day!  I just wanted to say that I have received no omens or hallucinations   However, I'm really glad that I'm not the only one who is anxious.   Like many of you here, I see the logic in "you'll get in somewhere" and I also the the logic of "here are my qualifications, this is what the program requires" and being able to honestly evaluate my chances.  Yet, it matters not, I'm still checking my email and googling my school of choice to see if there are any updates.  And going on the gradcafe for any kind of hint or tip that I might have missed.

YUK.  Maybe I'll go paint my nails in my chosen schools colors to create my own luck haha.

Welcome!  So glad you found us!  It's funny that you say that, because I have been to a support group that is kind of like a 12 step program and being with people who are going through what you are going through is sooooooo comforting!  No, you are not the only one who is anxious.  We all are!  There is no way around it - this is just plain hard.  But one by one people who have found this thread are starting to report their acceptances.  It will happen, we just have to survive the process.  And I am so glad I get to survive this process with my grad family!  Welcome!

Hi everyone! First of all, this is an awesome thread. So I've been feeling hopeless about getting accepted anywhere after I got rejected from a program a few weeks ago. But yesterday, something happened: I saw that a professor from a school I applied to had viewed my linkedin profile, and that we have one relation in common (whom I know from my summer internship, which is directly related to my academic area of interest). Now I'm wondering if that professor intentionally searched my profile, or if he just randomly checked the profiles of his relations' relations. If so it would be a surprising coincidence, since he teaches right in the field I'm interested in (international security), in one of the school I applied to. Also, he probably saw that I had viewed his profile after he had viewed mine, because today he checked my linkedin page again! Good sign or hallucination?

I am so sorry to hear about that rejection.  I know that it hurt.  But I am so glad that you have more options out there (unlike me who only applied to one program).  There is a program that will recognize your value and what you can bring to the table. In terms of Linkendin, what you experienced is definitely not a hallucination.  I care too much to just throw out words like Good sign, if I'm not sure.  it is certainly not bad when someone checks your profile.  What I will say though is that you should be patient and see how this thing pans out, and keep us posted!  Your success is important to us!

Edited by Eager

Lord have mercy on my soul, did I have a dream last night!  It was awesome.  I was accepted with a fellowship.  I can't describe to you the joy I felt.  I haven't had a dream like this since this whole process started.  My family was there, and they were so excited and proud and I was relieved that I hadn't let everyone down.  I was crying with joy!  And then...I awakened.  I literally cried out, "No! No!"  I'm surprised I didn't wake up my husband.  I was so disappointed, because it was soooooooo real.  When I told my mother, she said, "Surely that is an omen!"  Bless her kind heart.  I have not the strength to declare it an omen.  Maybe someone else can declare it thus (sorry, I was reading the Bible, so I"m going King James on you) All I know is....for a few moments I felt the joy of what it is to be accepted by your dream program.

It happened before, with my M.F.A in creative writing.  I will never forget that day when I received the call from Prof. X that told me they wanted me.  I was so excited.  But alas, that was thirteen years ago.  Now I'm in a different place and I understand what this program would mean for my life.  And I need very badly, very literally, for dreams to come true....

My UT Austin status recently changed from "Your application for admission is in review" to "Your file has been forwarded to the Graduate Committee for review."  Is this normal and a hallucination?

My application switched to this a few days ago.  Let's take it as a good sign!  

(I'm pretending my other application didn't exist.  The one that also reached this status for a few hours before getting the big D.)   

I interviewed at one of my schools a couple weeks ago.  At the end of the day I was saying goodbye to a couple of the professors and one of them said to me something along the lines of*, "keep believing psychdork".  He seemed completely sincere as he said this.  That has to be a good sign, right?

*Slightly changed so I don't out myself.

I interviewed at one of my schools a couple weeks ago.  At the end of the day I was saying goodbye to a couple of the professors and one of them said to me something along the lines of*, "keep believing psychdork".  He seemed completely sincere as he said this.  That has to be a good sign, right?

*Slightly changed so I don't out myself.

First, Welcome!  Secondly, sounds like a good sign to me.  This person obviously wanted to give you a few encouraging words without saying too much!  We could all use a few encouraging words about now.  Keep us posted on this.  :)

I've had a few dreams about being accepted and one about being denied. Not only are you not alone, but there is someone else in Miami doing the same thing!

^^ This makes me feel a tad better...

That is wonderful.  Of course it is a good sign.  It wasn't placed on the rejection pile.  You have gone to the next level!  You get my official....wait for it....wait for it.....Woooo Hoooooo!  I agree with Narcisso.  Good news is on the way!

I was hoping it was good news.  I wasn't sure if everybody who had the minimum requirements made it this far.  :)

I was hoping it was good news.  I wasn't sure if everybody who had the minimum requirements made it this far.  :)

Mine is still in the stage "We've received your application and we are currently reviewing it", so your application must have advanced to a later stage.

Mine is still in the stage "We've received your application and we are currently reviewing it", so your application must have advanced to a later stage.

Thank you!  Good luck on your application!

I received an email from the acting program director asking to arrange a video skype interview. That should be a good sigh, right?

Wow!  First, Welcome!  Second, that is awesome!  As I've said before, there are people that would give their left pinky toe for an interview.  And on Skype? Excuse me!  That means they are interested and interest is good.  Keep us posted, we want to know how this interview goes. Sending you such good vibes from Brooklyn!

Edited by Eager

I was "referred to department" very early on in the process. Others are now just receiving this notification. Good omen?! 

Welcome Beth23!  Referred early you say?  Sounds like someone's application generated interest early in the process.  I think it's a good sign, not necessarily an Omen.  Omens are mystical like dreams, songs that give us premonitions, etc.  Don't leave us hanging with this one.  We want to know how it goes for you!  Nothing but good vibes coming to you from your grad family!

I was "referred to department" very early on in the process. Others are now just receiving this notification. Good omen?! 

I was also referred to the department just a week after submitting my application. I am also hoping it is a good sign!

I was also referred to the department just a week after submitting my application. I am also hoping it is a good sign!

How could it not be?  You must have had an impressive application.  Probably a dazzling SOP?  Come on don't be modest!  The bottom line is that your application drew enough interest to be moved ahead quickly.  That my friend, is a beautiful thing!

Edited by Eager

Welcome Beth23!  Referred early you say?  Sounds like someone's application generated interest early in the process.  I think it's a good sign, not necessarily an Omen.  Omens are mystical like dreams, songs that give us premonitions, etc.  Don't leave us hanging with this one.  We want to know how it goes for you!  Nothing but good vibes coming to you from your grad family!

Thanks, guys! Definitely needing a confidence booster right about now and there it is! 

Good luck to everyone! 

Eager -- I just wanted to encourage you as you have been doing for all of us selfish needy people :)  You will find your way, even if the doors close. I'm not trying to say you won't get in to your dream school and get into your dream spot, but I do have to say the most magical paths I've been on had nothing to do with what I had actually planned!!!   I'm in a completely different place and older with a family as well.  I know how you feel because I've sunk all my dreams and plans into one place, and it really, really makes me nervous because I'm usually a plan A, B, C, D and backup E kinda person. 

So be encouraged!  I just want you (as I want to also) enjoy the journey.  

Goob :)

Lord have mercy on my soul, did I have a dream last night!  It was awesome.  I was accepted with a fellowship.  I can't describe to you the joy I felt.  I haven't had a dream like this since this whole process started.  My family was there, and they were so excited and proud and I was relieved that I hadn't let everyone down.  I was crying with joy!  And then...I awakened.  I literally cried out, "No! No!"  I'm surprised I didn't wake up my husband.  I was so disappointed, because it was soooooooo real.  When I told my mother, she said, "Surely that is an omen!"  Bless her kind heart.  I have not the strength to declare it an omen.  Maybe someone else can declare it thus (sorry, I was reading the Bible, so I"m going King James on you) All I know is....for a few moments I felt the joy of what it is to be accepted by your dream program.

It happened before, with my M.F.A in creative writing.  I will never forget that day when I received the call from Prof. X that told me they wanted me.  I was so excited.  But alas, that was thirteen years ago.  Now I'm in a different place and I understand what this program would mean for my life.  And I need very badly, very literally, for dreams to come true....

As I've seen mentioned here already, one of my documents (a letter of recommendation) was still missing, and the department emailed me asking for me to give that professor a friendly nudge so they could finish reviewing my app. If they really wanted to reject me, they wouldn't raise a fuss over one letter, would they? They had already received my transcripts/GRE scores/everything from my end. I am hoping it's a sign of good news. :D

I wanted to set up a campus visit with my number one school so that a) the visit would be set up if I get accepted and B ) it shows them how seriously I am taking this by willing to fly out even thought I haven't heard a decision.

The enrollment counselor set up an appointment to meet with me in late March, and also said that she scheduled a student worker to show me around campus. She also encouraged me to set up a meeting with the head of the program.

The thing is, apparently applicants don't find out a decision until mid March. So my visit is schedule for after the decision happens. Basically I have all of these appointments and I would have to obviously cancel them if I don't get accepted.

Is it normal to encourage students to buy plane tickets for after the decision date and fly out even if there is a chance they will be rejected? Or is this a good sign?

Edited by pandaloo

I wanted to set up a campus visit with my number one school so that a) the visit would be set up if I get accepted and B ) it shows them how seriously I am taking this by willing to fly out even thought I haven't heard a decision.

The enrollment counselor set up an appointment to meet with me in late March, and also said that she scheduled a student worker to show me around campus. She also encouraged me to set up a meeting with the head of the program.

The thing is, apparently applicants don't find out a decision until mid March. So my visit is schedule for after the decision happens. Basically I have all of these appointments and I would have to obviously cancel them if I don't get accepted.

Is it normal to encourage students to buy plane tickets for after the decision date and fly out even if there is a chance they will be rejected? Or is this a good sign?

Is it possible that the enrollment counselor is not aware of the deadline? It seems to me that they wouldn't have started reviewing applications if they are coming out with decisions so late. It may be either here nor there.  :wacko:

Is it possible that the enrollment counselor is not aware of the deadline? It seems to me that they wouldn't have started reviewing applications if they are coming out with decisions so late. It may be either here nor there.  :wacko:

Yeah, I feel like she just really isn't thinking that far into it. She's probably just carrying out her own duties of setting up a visit, and assuming that you'll take care of the stuff on your end (like determining whether it's smart to book a flight, etc.). Good luck!