Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

I had yet ANOTHER nightmare about not getting in anywhere. Except this time, I could see all the reasons why they hadn't admitted me. I hope I have one night of sleep during this month. 

Gosh, that sucks goos eggs.  Sorry to hear that!  Try doing something pleasant before you go to sleep, kinda help yourself along.  it's funny that you say that because this entire process is extremely nightmarish...the only question is: when will it in? :wacko:  

I had a phone interview with my dream school a couple weeks ago. Coming out of it, I was surprised by the questions, but I answered them to the best of my ability. Even my profs thought the questions were geared more for a job interview than a grad interview. The conversation was friendly, interesting, and lasted roughly 40 minutes. I thought all of these were good signs. I sent a thank you email a few days later, but only recently got a reply. The professor was still very friendly in the email, but given the gap from when we spoke to when she emailed me, I thought it strange that she hadn't indicated whether or not I had been accepted or rejected. Realistically, I assume that I've been rejected. The website also doesn't indicate that any decision has been made. 

Should I take her lack of notification as a bad sign?

I had a phone interview with my dream school a couple weeks ago. Coming out of it, I was surprised by the questions, but I answered them to the best of my ability. Even my profs thought the questions were geared more for a job interview than a grad interview. The conversation was friendly, interesting, and lasted roughly 40 minutes. I thought all of these were good signs. I sent a thank you email a few days later, but only recently got a reply. The professor was still very friendly in the email, but given the gap from when we spoke to when she emailed me, I thought it strange that she hadn't indicated whether or not I had been accepted or rejected. Realistically, I assume that I've been rejected. The website also doesn't indicate that any decision has been made. 

Should I take her lack of notification as a bad sign?

First, Welcome!  Secondly, congrats on the interview.  Sometimes people have poker faces (or poker emails) when it comes to things like this, so as not to be the one who let the cat out of the acceptance bag.  So I wouldn't go so far as to say this is a bad sign.  I think  you are really going to have to wait and see on this one.  But for goodness sake, don't keep us hanging.  Let us know what happens. :)

I had a dream last night that my undergrad roommate sent me a fake acceptance from a made up school to study something I don't study, just to make me feel better. I'm going out of my mind.

Try to hold it together a little while longer. We are all in the same boat. My thought is we can all go as crazy as we need to, just as long as we don't jump overboard.  Hang on!  We will celebrate together on this forum!--Gosh I'm looking forward to it! :rolleyes:

Well, I care too much to lie, it's not a good sign in the traditional sense.  It would be so courageous to actually buy some apparel and wear it as though you got in.  Not sure I could do that.
Thanks for keeping it Real! :) :) I actually got a sweatshirt for Christmas! I truly believe there is power in positive thinking! Hoping I can wear it in my pic to celebrate my acceptance!

Wow, EdYouKateOr that is such an awesome idea!!!! I kept fooling around with my picture today.  First I wanted a picture of Bert from Bert and Ernie.  Then I uploaded a real picture of myself, that I really like, but I thought almost no one has a picture of themselves and I didn't want to be in the minority and people think I'm a weirdo.  And believe me with all this obsessing about my program, I feel like a weirdo!  So finally I found a picture of a beaver (get it, eager beaver) and I uploaded that.  But your post gives me the idea that once I get accepted I will either upload a picture of my sweatshirt from the school or a picture of me wearing it.  Why can't we all just show ourselves I wonder?  What is the big secret of the fake names and odd pictures?  I don't get it, I just go alone with it.  If anybody knows why we do this, I would love for you to tell me.  I for one would like to see the people I'm talking to and not just flowers and animals and random things...

By the way, I need your opinion people.  I have never visited my program physically.  I am in Brooklyn and the school is in Manhattan so not far at all.  The wait is driving me batty.  I would love to go visit the school.  I've heard it's nice.  But is that pushing it too far?  No matter how hard I try, I will end up in the English department and I don't want them to find me wandering around before acceptances go out - like A WEIRDO!  As much as I want to, maybe I should just wait until I get accepted so I have a real reason for being there.  Thoughts anyone?

Why can't we all just show ourselves I wonder?  What is the big secret of the fake names and odd pictures?  I don't get it, I just go alone with it.  If anybody knows why we do this, I would love for you to tell me.  I for one would like to see the people I'm talking to and not just flowers and animals and random things...

No telling how people in our current departments or hoped for future departments would view our presence here, or how they would judge random comments made. Plus, for some, GradCafe is a place to let off steam or stress where they don't have to worry about professionalism, or things being permanently linked to their name. Not that I ever recommend posting something you wouldn't want anyone who knows you to see, but even if you're careful (or just plain uninclined to ever post anything that might reflect poorly on you), there is comfort in anonymity. 

I have a profile on academia.edu, but I don't post anything on it... I just use it to keep track of new papers in my field, what my postdoc friends are up to, etc.  That said, it's on the first page of results if you google me, and the website provides free analytics of page visitors.  Usually I get one per month, and it's usually an undergrad friend adding me even though our fields are unrelated.  In January however I "spiked" to 5 page visits, all in the space of a week.  

Obviously I have decided that these must be adcom visitors googling me.  Instead of viewing this as "oh they're considering me" I'm not thinking "geez, will they judge that half the people I follow on here aren't even in my field? I just like to know what my friends are doing, academically!  Oh MAN they were referred from google, I hope they used [My Name]+ [undergrad institution] so they don't confuse me with that OTHER person who has my name." And so on.  

This is what I've become... instead of obsessing about what could be a good sign, I chose to see it as a sign of the apocalypse. 

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this.  I had a status changed from Awaiting Program Decision to Final Review.  Do you think that means the department has accepted me and has passed me to the grad school or if they are putting me in the maybe pile?

A what-I-hope-was-a-good-sign has been driving me crazy for a while. I had a Skype interview with a POI, and the end of the (very cheerful, very informal) conversation went something like this, from her:

"Well, we should have word back to you within the next two weeks. And - "

*longest pause ever. Begin to nervously tap foot/break own fingers from wringing hands.*

"Well, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere."

That same old line, but coming from a POI it opens up a whole new world of GAH-ness. I'm not optimistic (or foolish) enough to think that this was somehow an endorsement, but yeesh! Any thoughts from anyone?  :blink:

A what-I-hope-was-a-good-sign has been driving me crazy for a while. I had a Skype interview with a POI, and the end of the (very cheerful, very informal) conversation went something like this, from her:

*longest pause ever. Begin to nervously tap foot/break own fingers from wringing hands.*

That same old line, but coming from a POI it opens up a whole new world of GAH-ness. I'm not optimistic (or foolish) enough to think that this was somehow an endorsement, but yeesh! Any thoughts from anyone?  :blink:

I think it depends on the "type" of pause. If it is a happy, supportive "I dont want to say too much" pause then it is a VERY good sign. If its a "oh gosh, I have no idea what to say because this interview went horribly" pause then that isnt so good. It sounds like the interview went well, so that has to be a good thing. I doubt she would say that after a good interview if she didnt think you were a strong canidate. yay!

Got an email yesterday notifying me that a department had received my completed application...that's good, since the deadline was January 15th!

No idea what kind of sign it is...maybe that there was something of an admin snafu, and even if I get accepted now I won't get funding?

Of course now my Final Review has been changed again to Decision Made but it wont tell me what that decision is.  For the love of god just tell me already.

Ugh, I hope you find out soon (hopefully good news!).    Even thinking about that makes me feel squirmy.  

Of course now my Final Review has been changed again to Decision Made but it wont tell me what that decision is.  For the love of god just tell me already.

I think this is great.  At least you have some movement!  My app doesn't say a blessed thing.  It simply records what has been submitted.  I would love to see final review.  That would mean that something is going to happen.  We are all thinking positive thoughts for you - that's how we roll here!  Let us know what happens!!!!!

Got an email yesterday notifying me that a department had received my completed application...that's good, since the deadline was January 15th!

No idea what kind of sign it is...maybe that there was something of an admin snafu, and even if I get accepted now I won't get funding?

First, the fact that they have your completed app is important!  I read a post by someone on another topic saying they were rejected and found out that one of their recommenders never submitted.  That's terrible.  So now you know they have all your materials.  Excellent!  I don't know why you think you won't get funding once accepted.  Think positive.  There has to be some good news on the way for all of us.....

I agree with spacezepplin.  It sounds like the vibe was really good.  And as I have said before, POI's don't want to be the one who let's the cat out of the acceptance bag too soon.  If I were you I would expect good news... :)

No telling how people in our current departments or hoped for future departments would view our presence here, or how they would judge random comments made. Plus, for some, GradCafe is a place to let off steam or stress where they don't have to worry about professionalism, or things being permanently linked to their name. Not that I ever recommend posting something you wouldn't want anyone who knows you to see, but even if you're careful (or just plain uninclined to ever post anything that might reflect poorly on you), there is comfort in anonymity. 

This actually is a great explanation.  Thank you.  I had been wondering for awhile now.  There are some posts that seem a little....out there.  But for the most part the forums seems filled with down to earth people who want to go to grad school.  Having said that, I'm not the anonymous type.  So, I will probably be switching from the cute beaver to the my real picture at some point!  :)

Edited by Eager

I have a profile on academia.edu, but I don't post anything on it... I just use it to keep track of new papers in my field, what my postdoc friends are up to, etc.  That said, it's on the first page of results if you google me, and the website provides free analytics of page visitors.  Usually I get one per month, and it's usually an undergrad friend adding me even though our fields are unrelated.  In January however I "spiked" to 5 page visits, all in the space of a week.  

Obviously I have decided that these must be adcom visitors googling me.  Instead of viewing this as "oh they're considering me" I'm not thinking "geez, will they judge that half the people I follow on here aren't even in my field? I just like to know what my friends are doing, academically!  Oh MAN they were referred from google, I hope they used [My Name]+ [undergrad institution] so they don't confuse me with that OTHER person who has my name." And so on.  

This is what I've become... instead of obsessing about what could be a good sign, I chose to see it as a sign of the apocalypse. 

Don't do that to yourself.  I don't think the adcom from your program is googling you and saying "Ah Ha! Look who she is following."  Relax....Do something good for yourself.  Think about all the other great things you've accomplished and wait for good news!

I fully admit this post is braggy. Sorry, but I have to freak out about it somewhere because i'm stuck at work and my co-workers arnt quite as happy about it because it means they have to replace me. I am officially 2 for 2 for graduate acceptances!

The "omen" in this whole thing is that these schools are leading up to my top two choices which are both a bit harder to get into. Hopefully i'm building up positive momentum! Maybe the universe is telling me I will be a good graduate student after all!