Good Sign, Omen or Hallucination - All Are Welcome!

Eager

I GOT IN!!! So damn excited right now!!!

Congratulations!!! :D 

Isn't it amazing how torturous this entire process is?  I need to hold back on saying this is a good sign, only because you have already been told you have been rejected.  However, there is always room for a good surprise.  So I would say that you do not need a piece of paper to have closure.  You can find that within yourself.  Accept it, move on....but if good news comes, then you will be able to rejoice.  :)

It totally is. I feel like this program has really messed me up emotionally, and then just when I feel a bit better about everything, they pull this shit.  I do agree I don't need a piece of paper for closure, but it just makes it official. Having a professor say "no dice" is definitely official, but a letterhead saying that same thing is just more meaningful. I keep reading other stuff about the program and it seems like rejections have already gone out. 

I just don't know what to do. Should I call the registrar office again next Friday to ask if my status has changed? I just don't want my hopes raised (too late) and then have them crushed which is what's going to happen.

I GOT IN!!! So damn excited right now!!!

You have no idea how excited I am for you right now!  This is awesome!!!!! Someone in Brooklyn is doing a happy dance for you right now!!!!!! Good things are happening people!!!! Wooooooooooooo HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Eager

It totally is. I feel like this program has really messed me up emotionally, and then just when I feel a bit better about everything, they pull this shit.  I do agree I don't need a piece of paper for closure, but it just makes it official. Having a professor say "no dice" is definitely official, but a letterhead saying that same thing is just more meaningful. I keep reading other stuff about the program and it seems like rejections have already gone out. 

I just don't know what to do. Should I call the registrar office again next Friday to ask if my status has changed? I just don't want my hopes raised (too late) and then have them crushed which is what's going to happen.

Listen, as your grad cafe godmother :P, I have to be honest with you....I'm a little worried about you right now.  I can understand if you were calling because you hadn't been told anything.  But in being told that you have been rejected, and still calling about a letter....I just don't want you to board the obsessive train.  I was on that train and totally consumed about my program.  My mother even had to tell me, "I've never seen you like this before,"  It wasn't pretty.  I want you just to make sure that you are keeping the correct perspective and that most of all you have balance: enough sleep, good food, good love, self care.  If you do that, I mean really do that, you will have the kind of closure that matters, and the strength to move forward into the next adventure.  :) Keep your grad family posted!

Very well said Eager!  I totally understand how Kaipsychology may be feeling.  I'm not sure if this analogy fits but it is sort of like when you *know* that your boyfriend/girlfriend has broken-up with you and even though they have pretty much said it, you still don't quite believe it because you've created a different measuring stick in your head. For instance, he/she cant possibly *mean* it if he/she is still calling me/emailing me, etc. It sort of negates the break-up statement because it doesn't fall in line with what a break-up means to you.  So in this instance, even though the POI told Kaipsychology that he/she was rejected, the fact that the letter didn't come might mean that they are reconsidering.

Obviously to those who are not emotionally invested in this, the writing is clearly on the wall. But for someone who is looking for the faintest bit of hope, no letter means 'it ain't over till it's over'.  Chances are it is just a situation where the paper work is still being processed but the decision that was relayed to the applicant is the correct one.  It is a hard truth to accept and I truly empathize with Kaipychology.  Hopefully the letter will come soon and provide the closure he/she is waiting for. 

Listen, as your grad cafe godmother :P, I have to be honest with you....I'm a little worried about you right now.  I can understand if you were calling because you hadn't been told anything.  But in being told that you have been rejected, and still calling about a letter....I just don't want you to board the obsessive train.  I was on that train and totally consumed about my program.  My mother even had to tell me, "I've never seen you like this before,"  It wasn't pretty.  I want you just to make sure that you are keeping the correct perspective and that most of all you have balance: enough sleep, good food, good love, self care.  If you do that, I mean really do that, you will have the kind of closure that matters, and the strength to move forward into the next adventure.  :) Keep your grad family posted!

Very well said Eager!  I totally understand how Kaipsychology may be feeling.  I'm not sure if this analogy fits but it is sort of like when you *know* that your boyfriend/girlfriend has broken-up with you and even though they have pretty much said it, you still don't quite believe it because you've created a different measuring stick in your head. For instance, he/she cant possibly *mean* it if he/she is still calling me/emailing me, etc. It sort of negates the break-up statement because it doesn't fall in line with what a break-up means to you.  So in this instance, even though the POI told Kaipsychology that he/she was rejected, the fact that the letter didn't come might mean that they are reconsidering.

Obviously to those who are not emotionally invested in this, the writing is clearly on the wall. But for someone who is looking for the faintest bit of hope, no letter means 'it ain't over till it's over'.  Chances are it is just a situation where the paper work is still being processed but the decision that was relayed to the applicant is the correct one.  It is a hard truth to accept and I truly empathize with Kaipychology.  Hopefully the letter will come soon and provide the closure he/she is waiting for. 

Very well said MSW13!  I love that you say "emotionally invested".  People on the outside looking in just don't understand what the big deal is, why we are so emotional about a program and why we can be so very devestated if we are rejected.  That is why I am so happy I have my grad family...You all understand and that is a very cool thing.  By the way congrats, congrats and CONGRATS on being accepted to The University of Toronto.  I know I'm a little late, but it's never too late for a happy dance is it? Woooooooooo Hooooooooooo!

Edited by Eager

Aww, thank you so much! I'm so excited to start this new journey in my academic life. Also, I'm not much of a dancer but what the heck, wooooo hoooo!! :D

Very well said MSW13!  I love that you say "emotionally invested".  People on the outside looking in just don't understand what the big deal is, why we are so emotional about a program and why we can be so very devestated if we are rejected.  That is why I am so happy I have my grad family...You all understand and that is a very cool thing.  By the way congrats, congrats and CONGRATS on being accepted to The University of Toronto.  I know I'm a little late, but it's never too late for a happy dance is it? Woooooooooo Hooooooooooo!

Thanks Eager and MSW13 for your kind words. I do want to make it clear that I had accepted I was rejected until this small glimmer of hope appeared. 

I actually did receive an e-mail today, and I am on the waitlist hence why no letter has arrived. Apparently, I will know in a little over a week if I get in. They seem to be waiting to hear back from someone. So maybe I wasn't 100% delusional and there is some little hope? 

Oh I totally forgot about the awesomeist ever omen I had during my waiting process. I'd applied for USC's MSW program - the ONLY school I applied to. And one day, at work, a Social Work Today magazine arrived on my desk, addressed to no one in the building. We'd never had a person by that name in the building before. And what's more, the issue was ALL about military social work - my sub concentration. All I remember thinking at the time is "This is a sign I'm meant to do this". Almost forgot about that one!

And eager, I'm glad to hear you've been waitlisted and not totally rejected. Good luck to you!

So this afternoon I get an automated email from a school that I haven't heard anything from for like 2-3 months now indicating that the financial aid office added documents that I needed to submit on my "to do list." I definitely haven't heard anything from them about the status of my application, no rejection, no accceptance, no waitlist, absolutely nothing. I assumed that I was rejected, but it baffles me as to why they would ask for documents so late. Maybe good news will be forthcoming from that program. Would be nice to have options after all.

Thanks Eager and MSW13 for your kind words. I do want to make it clear that I had accepted I was rejected until this small glimmer of hope appeared. 

I actually did receive an e-mail today, and I am on the waitlist hence why no letter has arrived. Apparently, I will know in a little over a week if I get in. They seem to be waiting to hear back from someone. So maybe I wasn't 100% delusional and there is some little hope? 

Oh that is amazing!  Waitlisted? My God what I would have done to be wait listed....But back to you.  Yes, a glimmer of hope.  So I'll just dance on one foot for now until we hear...and then, full on happy dance.  Until then you get my official, woooooooo hooooooooo!!!!!! I am sending you Brooklyn good vibes - and those vibes are gangsta!  :P

Oh I totally forgot about the awesomeist ever omen I had during my waiting process. I'd applied for USC's MSW program - the ONLY school I applied to. And one day, at work, a Social Work Today magazine arrived on my desk, addressed to no one in the building. We'd never had a person by that name in the building before. And what's more, the issue was ALL about military social work - my sub concentration. All I remember thinking at the time is "This is a sign I'm meant to do this". Almost forgot about that one!

And eager, I'm glad to hear you've been waitlisted and not totally rejected. Good luck to you!

You are mistaking me for Kaipsychology.  I was totally and ruthlessly rejected (weeping and gnashing of teeth).  However, I was told I could email in May about taking the course at my program.  I know it is a little desperate to email on May 1st, but it is what it is.  I think I have an email to send.  Everyone send me good vibes that things will go well with my paper work and I will soon be in my program (non-matriculated, but I'll take what I can get!)

So this afternoon I get an automated email from a school that I haven't heard anything from for like 2-3 months now indicating that the financial aid office added documents that I needed to submit on my "to do list." I definitely haven't heard anything from them about the status of my application, no rejection, no accceptance, no waitlist, absolutely nothing. I assumed that I was rejected, but it baffles me as to why they would ask for documents so late. Maybe good news will be forthcoming from that program. Would be nice to have options after all.

Welcome! I say this is a good sign.  My friend, there is still hope and that is such a beautiful thing.  Keep us posted on every little detail!  :D

You are mistaking me for Kaipsychology.  I was totally and ruthlessly rejected (weeping and gnashing of teeth).  However, I was told I could email in May about taking the course at my program.  I know it is a little desperate to email on May 1st, but it is what it is.  I think I have an email to send.  Everyone send me good vibes that things will go well with my paper work and I will soon be in my program (non-matriculated, but I'll take what I can get!)

Hey Eager, thanks so much for being everyone's Gradcafe godmother :) Your positive spirit has really helped us all through some rough times. I hope that everything works out for you!

Hey Sweetpearl16!  Long time no hear!  It is absolutely my pleasure.  And thank you, I know it will work out eventually.  I'm thinking of starting a new thread for the rest of the non-matriculated homeless grad hopefuls like myself.  They really need a grad cafe godmother!  :D

The positivity in this room reaches all across the Atlantic to the Netherlands.  I have 2 offers from the UK, one of which I declined, but I am still frantically waiting to hear back from Switzerland. 

In terms of omens: only bad ones sadly..  A lot of back and forth with Switzerland about one stamp missing on a transcript, and very distant and uninterested e-mails. Still: not losing hope yet! But the waiting is absolutely terrible..

Also, Eager, I admire your positive spirit, please don't lose it! I hope it's going to work out for you. 

I got an email from a school that I would like to go to today. It stated something along the lines of "program decision was made to the dean...once he approves you will get an official letter" What do you guys think this means?

I got an email from a school that I would like to go to today. It stated something along the lines of "program decision was made to the dean...once he approves you will get an official letter" What do you guys think this means?

Ahhh....it means once the dean approves you, you will get an official letter.  For goodness sakes, this is great news!  Why aren't you celebrating?  I mean really, have you even done the happy dance yet?  Keep us posted on every little detail.  Until then, you my friend, get my official Woooooooo Hooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

The positivity in this room reaches all across the Atlantic to the Netherlands.  I have 2 offers from the UK, one of which I declined, but I am still frantically waiting to hear back from Switzerland. 

In terms of omens: only bad ones sadly..  A lot of back and forth with Switzerland about one stamp missing on a transcript, and very distant and uninterested e-mails. Still: not losing hope yet! But the waiting is absolutely terrible..

Also, Eager, I admire your positive spirit, please don't lose it! I hope it's going to work out for you. 

Wowzer Larrie!  Two acceptances already....going back and forth with Switzerland....Excuse me!!!!!  I am so happy that you are still in the game.  Hang in there.  It is such a frustrating process.  But to have received two offers already means that programs see your worth...and that is a very awesome thing.  Keep us posted.  We are your grad family now!

So I been on edge ever since I got an email on 4/20 stating that my application package was sent to the Criminology Department for review (GWU). It is now May 8, and still no word. Thoughts?? 

By the way, I was rejected from one school this past weekend via email so not feeling very optimistic.

can i be wrong?  :mellow:

So I been on edge ever since I got an email on 4/20 stating that my application package was sent to the Criminology Department for review (GWU). It is now May 8, and still no word. Thoughts?? 

By the way, I was rejected from one school this past weekend via email so not feeling very optimistic.

can i be wrong?  :mellow:

Welcome!!! First, I am sorry to hear about the rejection.  I know that hurts.  But you are still in the game.  Your application is up for review - that's exciting.  So, try to stay as calm as you can, and don't obsess!  (Easier said than done, I know).  Be good to yourself throughout this process.  Keep us posted!!! :)

Welcome!!! First, I am sorry to hear about the rejection.  I know that hurts.  But you are still in the game.  Your application is up for review - that's exciting.  So, try to stay as calm as you can, and don't obsess!  (Easier said than done, I know).  Be good to yourself throughout this process.  Keep us posted!!! :)

Thanks I will try!  :)

One application under review for 3 months now, final grades went out today so I will hopefully know in the next 2 weeks. 
Another conditional acceptance, but the condition wasn't met. They said they would look at my application again and decide then. I initially was conditionally accepted based on my statement of interest within 2 weeks of my application, the condition being I have a certain average and I provide 2 letters of recommendation (letters were received last month, grades will be sent this week). Hopefully all this put together leads to an unconditional acceptance despite my bad GPA. 

Edited by MissMoneyJenny

One application under review for 3 months now, final grades went out today so I will hopefully know in the next 2 weeks. 

Another conditional acceptance, but the condition wasn't met. They said they would look at my application again and decide then. I initially was conditionally accepted based on my statement of interest within 2 weeks of my application, the condition being I have a certain average and I provide 2 letters of recommendation (letters were received last month, grades will be sent this week). Hopefully all this put together leads to an unconditional acceptance despite my bad GPA. 

Wow!  You have a lot going on don't you?  Conditional acceptances are good signs.  It will definitely be an interesting wait.  But it sounds like you are on the right track.  Try not to stress too much.  I am hoping as well that you will receive an unconditional acceptance.  Keep us posted on every little detail.  :)

Edited by Eager