How Soon After a Decision do You Post?

musichistorygeek

So, you get the call/email/letter/link to Youtube/status change! And you got in! (Congrats!) Or you didn't. (Screw them, you're going someplace better.) How quickly do you post to Grad Cafe? Immediately? Sometime that day? After calling everyone you know and grabbing either celebratory or consolatory drinks? After you get all of your decisions and are deciding where to go?

I know when I was applying for my MA program, I tended to post rejections and waitlists immediately for some reason, but wait until I had told a few people before posting admits. I don't know why, but I've been pondering it as the results for musicology programs begin to trickle in. (Unfortunately, most of my programs probably won't send out decisions until mid-February or early March. Boo! :( )

Also, you know you've looked at the results page and wondered, "What time did they post that? Is there still a chance my admit/rejection/waitlist/interview decision is on its way?"

a good question. i have thus far posted all of my admits/interviews immediately. if i get a rejection (which is more than likely) then I plan to wait until there's a string of rejections...

y'know...misery loves company and all.

When I get news my first thought isn't "omg, must add my results on GC!!", but I don't purposely hold off until I've informed people in "real life". I know there are people (*points to self*) who check a few times a day to see if someone has heard from their program, why torture them? Even if your'e the first to post a rejection, It's not like they know who you are...

I plan to post more or less immediately when I hear something. Two of my programs currently have NO listings in the GradCafe results page, so I know I'm not listing superfluous information. As for telling everyone else... I think I may actually hold off on any positive decisions, at least a little bit. I know people will freak out and want to know all the details I just don't know yet.

I post to GradCafe quite quickly. In my field we don't have interviews or Recruitment Weekends - an offer is an offer. I gave myself a bit of time to let the first admission offer sink in for me before I told anyone (since this is my second application cycle, getting 1 offer is quite a big deal!) and posted it all over GC/Facebook/Twitter, etc.

As I'm being neurotic about checking the Results listings and using that to decide the likelihood of my being accepted or rejected from Program X I think it's fair to assume that other people are doing the same thing and that I should post results within a day of receiving them. At least on an anonymous listings board I can't be accused of bragging or wallowing...

I waited until I had an official-ish email rather than just an email from a POI. That way, the rug wasn't somehow going to be pulled out from under me plus I would potentially have more details to add to help people down the line. Plus, I just reveled in the shock and awe a bit.

I waited until I had an official-ish email rather than just an email from a POI. That way, the rug wasn't somehow going to be pulled out from under me plus I would potentially have more details to add to help people down the line. Plus, I just reveled in the shock and awe a bit.

I have a feeling this is what I'll be doing when/if I get admissions offers.  Rejections might be posted a bit sooner - less information to wait on...though more crying to do...

What's everyone's take on filling out your stats, the "red diamond" information?  I'm planning to post mine, but I noticed lots of people haven't been doing so.

I have a feeling this is what I'll be doing when/if I get admissions offers.  Rejections might be posted a bit sooner - less information to wait on...though more crying to do...

What's everyone's take on filling out your stats, the "red diamond" information?  I'm planning to post mine, but I noticed lots of people haven't been doing so.

I haven't decided yet. It does make you much more identifiable if anyone from your programs happens to be browsing there... but how bored would they have to be to do that?

I haven't decided yet. It does make you much more identifiable if anyone from your programs happens to be browsing there... but how bored would they have to be to do that?

Exactly my take on it. Then again, it IS totally possible adcom/faculty lurk on TGC, but I won't let that stop me from helping others gauge where they are. If anything, it's a bit like free advertisement for the program (look it IS possible to get accepted with an average GPA!) So I will put my stats for all my programs. 

I posted my acceptances/waitlist offers within 48 hours of the email. I needed some time to let the reality sink in and realize that I'm not just in some waking dream. Rejections I sometimes post, most of the time, it's because it's easier for me to forget. Out of sight, out of mind. But I'll try to do better this year. xD I do not post when I get interviews/informal interview since it seems to make people feel upset ("Oh, I didn't get an invite") prematurely sometimes ("Oh wait, now I got one a few days later!")  so I try my best to prevent that emotional rollercoaster.

Great question. For all of my posts, I put them up within the hour, if I have computer access. Rejections I posted almost immediately, as if I am quickly trying to get over it. Acceptances I usually told my closest family and friends, and put it up after that. I doubt any of them patrol these forums and would be upset if I told these anonymous people before them.

Does it make anyone else just a teeny bit mad to see someone post an interview invite 2-3 weeks later than received? All of a sudden I get hope, and then realize that the date of notification was the same day everyone else got their invites, and I'm sad all over again.

It is kinda discussed above... but are you guys worried if anyone from the schools you applied would find out if you posted with too much information? Not just the results, but regular threads also. Especially posts in the discipline forums under "The Menu."

Because I know that some people directly quote parts of the emails they got from professors, or even the whole email itself.

Also, it will be very easy to tell who's who in the result section if your discipline usually has a small department.

I am concerned.  :mellow:

It is kinda discussed above... but are you guys worried if anyone from the schools you applied would find out if you posted with too much information? Not just the results, but regular threads also. Especially posts in the discipline forums under "The Menu."

Because I know that some people directly quote parts of the emails they got from professors, or even the whole email itself.

Also, it will be very easy to tell who's who in the result section if your discipline usually has a small department.

I am concerned.  :mellow:

I would, in all candor, be completely surprised if professors had the time or the concern to navigate through all this information for the sake of a mere possibility that someone has quoted their email. I doubt they care.

That being said, unless it's a form email, I don't understand why someone would copy and paste an email conversation.

However, the chances of a professor having the time to sift through the constantly updated material is highly unlikely. So I would say no worries.

Don't post anything you wouldn't be okay with everyone in your program reading, and it's not really an issue. If you really want to stay anonymous, just don't include any details.

Anyway, I've posted my results pretty quickly so far (within 15 minutes), since I've been at the computer both times.

Edited by asleepawake

If it's a rejection, I post right away. It seemed to let off steam. With the one acceptance so far I was kind of like a deer in headlights and didn't even think of posting I think till a day or two later.