Ohio State - Columbus

FYI, I called the OSU office today for something else and their director of graduate admissions isn't in the office today. So if she is coordinating these announcements, or if RCL department members are off for President's Day too, the notices won't be going out until tomorrow. 

I was awarded a fellowship - calls should be coming throughout the day. Btw, sounds like they are planning on admitting another 18th C. British candidate!

Yeah! Congrats. I'm still waiting to hear back. Definitely a bit nervous. 

Waitlisted at Ohio State! A really kind email explaining that they were impressed with my app but limited in funding. 

CONGRATS!!! When I spoke to Dr. Garcha last week, he said that the department CANNOT accept more than 18 students for financial reasons. He sort of implied that they were not going to accept many, but keep a wait list. In other words, he made it seem like they were going to accept close to 18, and then go to the wait list as someone declines. I think that makes the odds better for those on it, so you have a decent shot!! 

(The above is my impression of what he said, not anything he explicitly stated.)

Waitlisted at Ohio State! A really kind email explaining that they were impressed with my app but limited in funding. 

Congrats, proflorax! I haven't heard anything yet. Still hoping for a position on the wait list, though, at least. 

Thanks, sebastiansebby! The email I received was also really optimistic and welcoming. I am just not sure how to process it, you know? Ohio State was my top choice when I was applying, but now I have two offers from amazing choices with great funding, faculty, fit, and placement. I'm in feelings limbo! 

Thanks, sebastiansebby! The email I received was also really optimistic and welcoming. I am just not sure how to process it, you know? Ohio State was my top choice when I was applying, but now I have two offers from amazing choices with great funding, faculty, fit, and placement. I'm in feelings limbo! 

My advice would be to visit as many of your programs as you can, including Ohio if possible. Maybe once you visit it'll be easier to think everything through.

Thanks! I'm not sure. There wasn't anything about it on the email I received. Do you know when it is? I guess I should ask about it, huh? I'm hoping it doesn't conflict with anything else I already committed to. 

Oh no. Gonna have to try to get out of a prior commitment. Didn't think any program would have anything that late. Thanks for the info though! I'll let you know if I am able to make it. It would be cool to meet a few of you awesome folks on here. 

After waiting and waiting some more I finally broke down and e-mailed Dr. Garcha. He called me within five minutes and told me that I'd been awarded the fellowship. Super excited! *dances* 

Edited by Gwendolyn

Hello everyone, quick question. Has anyone received the funding email that was supposed to be sent on the 18th? I received a phone call this past Friday offering me a spot and a teaching assistantship, but I haven't yet received an email. My status online has finally been updated, though. Just wondering what the delay was. Congratulations to all others accepted!

Hello everyone, quick question. Has anyone received the funding email that was supposed to be sent on the 18th? I received a phone call this past Friday offering me a spot and a teaching assistantship, but I haven't yet received an email. My status online has finally been updated, though. Just wondering what the delay was. Congratulations to all others accepted!

No e-mail, but another user and I heard over the phone. I had to e-mail Dr. Amanpal Garcha to get a phone call (his number isn't easily accessible apparently). If you'd like I can message you his number, but he might be gone for the day. 

Edited by Gwendolyn

No e-mail, but another user and I heard over the phone. I had to e-mail Dr. Amanpal Garcha to get a phone call (his number isn't easily accessible apparently). If you'd like I can message you his number, but he might be gone for the day. 

No thanks, I'll just wait a little longer for an email. Like I said, I got a phone call from Dr. Chadwick Allen, the director of grad studies, on Friday informing me that I was awarded a five-year assistantship so I already know I'm funded; I was just wondering if I hadn't received the email because of some fluke. Congrats on your acceptance, by the way!! Are you going to the visiting day? And what are you studying?

No thanks, I'll just wait a little longer for an email. Like I said, I got a phone call from Dr. Chadwick Allen, the director of grad studies, on Friday informing me that I was awarded a five-year assistantship so I already know I'm funded; I was just wondering if I hadn't received the email because of some fluke. Congrats on your acceptance, by the way!! Are you going to the visiting day? And what are you studying?

Thanks & congrats to you as well! I will be attending the visiting days. My primary research interests are ethnic queer studies & film (as a literary medium). I'm also interested in the narrative capacity of social networking websites. 

Edited by Gwendolyn

Thanks & congrats to you as well! I will be attending the visiting days. My primary research interests are ethnic queer studies & film (as a literary medium). I'm also interested in the narrative capacity of social networking websites. 

I hope to attend the visiting day as well. One of my interests is also queer studies! I'm primarily, however, a Victorianist.