Ohio State - Columbus

I got more info about my placement on the Ohio State wait list. They are only able to admit one student in the area of disability studies, and I am #2 on that list. So if the #1 applicant declines, I'm in! However, I was also notified that Professor Brenda Brueggemann, THE disability studies scholar in rhet/comp, will be leaving Ohio for the University of Louisville. Interesting... I guess this means I will be taking my name off the wait list. Or not? I dunno. 

I got more info about my placement on the Ohio State wait list. 

Hey proflorax, 

Sorry to hear about your PoI leaving. Did you ask someone directly about this in order to get this info? May I ask who gave you these specifics? I don't mean to badger you or anything, but my fate rests with Ohio State right now, so I'm super on edge about them/this/everything. 

Aww, sorry to hear that. At least you have other great options. Is there anyone else at OSU you'd want to work with?

Thanks! They have some other great faculty in the rhet/comp program, but so do the other schools to which I've been accepted.  It was time for me to start narrowing down my list, so I think OSU will be the first to go. Sigh!

Hey proflorax, 

Sorry to hear about your PoI leaving. Did you ask someone directly about this in order to get this info? May I ask who gave you these specifics? I don't mean to badger you or anything, but my fate rests with Ohio State right now, so I'm super on edge about them/this/everything. 

Hey! No need to be sorry; if anything, I am happy Dr. Garcha was so upfront about Dr. Brueggemann leaving! That helps me make my decision. I emailed Dr. Garcha a quick note asking about my status on the wait list, and he replied quite quickly and kindly with a load of information. If his email demeanor is a sign of how he interacts with grad students, ya'll will be in good hands! 

Thanks so much. I got some fairly specific info a few weeks back, but nothing as specific as what you received. Recently, I've been trying to compile some questions to ask that will segue nicely into asking for more specifics about my position. Like you said, Dr. Garcha has been very pleasant to deal with thus far. While it's a bummer that you probably won't end up at OSU, I'm happy to hear that your decision is now slightly easier. Good luck with the rest of that process!

Edited by HHEoS

I got more info about my placement on the Ohio State wait list. They are only able to admit one student in the area of disability studies, and I am #2 on that list. So if the #1 applicant declines, I'm in! However, I was also notified that Professor Brenda Brueggemann, THE disability studies scholar in rhet/comp, will be leaving Ohio for the University of Louisville. Interesting... I guess this means I will be taking my name off the wait list. Or not? I dunno. 

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that! I have no idea what other disability scholars they have besides Brueggemann. If you really just wanted to work with her, then maybe you should remove your name? I don't know. I'm sorry!

are any of you in the program for US Ethnic literature and Post colonial studies???

I am like HHEoS, hanging onto OSU since I am on the wait list.... man o man.... I really want the spot.. :(

although i think most of you in this forum are entering the program as PhD rather than MA/PhD. ....

are any of you in the program for US Ethnic literature and Post colonial studies???

although i think most of you in this forum are entering the program as PhD rather than MA/PhD. ....

I am not in poco or ethnic lit, though I am entering with a BA.

I am like HHEoS, hanging onto OSU since I am on the wait list.... man o man.... I really want the spot.. :(

I'm entering with only a BA, though I'm Victorian lit myself. I was told that out of the expected cohort of 18, 9 are entering with BAs and 9 with MAs (ideally, I suppose). I don't know if this helps you at all. Best of luck!

I'm in the program for US Ethnic literature and post colonial studies (partially). I'm entering with a BA (I can confirm what ZacharyBinks said about 9 students with a BA and 9 with an MA), but my acceptance letter states that I'm being welcomed to the Engish PhD program, so I'm lead to assume the program differentiates more between PhD candidates and pre-quals students rather than MA and PhD students.

I'm in the program for US Ethnic literature and post colonial studies (partially). I'm entering with a BA (I can confirm what ZacharyBinks said about 9 students with a BA and 9 with an MA), but my acceptance letter states that I'm being welcomed to the Engish PhD program, so I'm lead to assume the program differentiates more between PhD candidates and pre-quals students rather than MA and PhD students.

thank you for the clarification. :) Will you be attending OSU? If I get through the wait list, it would be great to get to know you better!! 

thank you for the clarification. :) Will you be attending OSU? If I get through the wait list, it would be great to get to know you better!! 

I will be attending and it'd definitely be great to know someone with similar research interests. Feel free to PM me! :)

Well this is strange. Will you guys let me know if he does inform you of that?

...What if they want me less than everyone else they admitted?

...Are you guys flying or driving? I am within driving distance, but will be staying in a hotel.

Did any other admitted students receive an e-mail from Dr. Garcha that the department is not able to fund visits after all? What is up with that?!

I received this email today as well. He said that the graduate school stopped funding visits last year but that he forgot (or wasn't told?).

I'm kind of upset, because I hadn't budgeted for that, and a plane ticket from OK to OH is already pretty expensive.

Edited by ZacharyBinks

Well this is strange. Will you guys let me know if he does inform you of that?

...What if they want me less than everyone else they admitted?

...Are you guys flying or driving? I am within driving distance, but will be staying in a hotel.

Also, not to be creepy but do you know which hotel you'll be staying in? I'm trying to find somewhere cheap that's also within walking distance/is near a bus route. I'm very unfamiliar with Columbus's bus system so the closer the better.

I'm kind of upset, because I hadn't budgeted for that, and a plane ticket from OK to OH is already pretty expensive.

You certainly have more cause to be upset than I am since I can drive. But still... it's frustrating. Even if it is something he genuinely didn't know... I don't know it just seems in bad form to let people make plans and then tell them afterward that the university will o longer fund those plans.

I am also wondering if the university is still paying for Gwendolyn and Laokoon because they are fellowship recipients, maybe? IF that is the case, it does make me a bit nervous that there could be some sort of divide in the department between those on fellowship and those on normal TA-ship (which a current student sort of suggested on this thread earlier).

You certainly have more cause to be upset than I am since I can drive. But still... it's frustrating. Even if it is something he genuinely didn't know... I don't know it just seems in bad form to let people make plans and then tell them afterward that the university will o longer fund those plans.

I am also wondering if the university is still paying for Gwendolyn and Laokoon because they are fellowship recipients, maybe? IF that is the case, it does make me a bit nervous that there could be some sort of divide in the department between those on fellowship and those on normal TA-ship (which a current student sort of suggested on this thread earlier).

It does seem that the grad. school proper is paying (based on the forms). I am driving, and we are not staying in a hotel. I'm really not sure what accommodations in the area look like.