Ohio State - Columbus

I hope to attend the visiting day as well. One of my interests is also queer studies! I'm primarily, however, a Victorianist.

I'm definitely more into contemporary literature, but if you happen to pick OSU I'm sure we can learn quite a bit from each other. My interests are constantly evolving.  :) 

After waiting and waiting some more I finally broke down and e-mailed Dr. Garcha. He called me within five minutes and told me that I'd been awarded the fellowship. Super excited! *dances*

Yay! Yay! Yay!

Hello everyone, quick question. Has anyone received the funding email that was supposed to be sent on the 18th? I received a phone call this past Friday offering me a spot and a teaching assistantship, but I haven't yet received an email. My status online has finally been updated, though. Just wondering what the delay was. Congratulations to all others accepted!

Have you gotten that e-mail yet? I still haven't.

Hey Zachary and sebastian, a PDF explaining TA funding at Ohio State was attached to the email I got about my position on the wait list. Although I'm not exactly sure of how I could send that document to you (privately, of course), I would be happy to do so. (I could probably just copy and paste the thing into a PM). I understand, however, if you'd rather receive it directly from them, but if you really want the details soon, feel free to let me know.

Edited by HHEoS

@HHEoS : I got my e-mail from Prof. Garcha this morning informing me that I have been waitlisted at OSU. However, he mentioned that the waitlist is unranked and I did not receive the PDF that you have mentioned. I wanted to confirm this news since you mentioned that Prof. Garcha has informed you of your position on the list. Shoul I e-mail him about mine after he's explained that it is unranked? Or does it mean that my chances of admission are low?

Hey feraleyes,

Congrats on being waitlisted! I'm not sure why you didn't receive the PDF about funding, but it seems that maybe it's just that he forgot? Did the email explain funding at all? Mine did, but it also referred to the attached document. PM me, and I can tell you what's on it if you'd like to know more. Dr. Garcha didn't exactly tell me what 'position' I was in on the list, since it is unranked. Unranked just means that they don't have a 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. ranking of WL students, but getting in off the list depends on speciality. For instance, if you're a Victorianist, getting in off the list depends on if the accepted Victorianist/s says "no". Therefore, I don't think anyone can really speak to your chances. They're not low, but they are uncertain and depend specifically on those applicants accepted in your field. Hope that helps!

Edited by HHEoS

Have you gotten that e-mail yet? I still haven't.

No, I haven't. I e-mailed Dr. Garcha yesterday; he apologized that I hadn't received it yet and told me he would check with their office and make sure I receive an email in a few days. At the end of his email he copy-and-pasted some information about funding and the teaching associateship and told me that I would receive a more formal and better-worded version in an email soon to come. If you'd like I can PM you the information.

Hey Zachary and sebastian, a PDF explaining TA funding at Ohio State was attached to the email I got about my position on the wait list. Although I'm not exactly sure of how I could send that document to you (privately, of course), I would be happy to do so. (I could probably just copy and paste the thing into a PM). I understand, however, if you'd rather receive it directly from them, but if you really want the details soon, feel free to let me know.

That would be awesome. As I told sebastian, Dr. Garcha gave me some minimal information in a reply to my query, but he told me that I should receive a more formal and detailed email soon. But I would still like to see that PDF so I have something to look at in the meantime. You could PM me, or if that doesn't work I could PM you my email address and you could attach it in an email, if that works better for you. Thanks a bunch!

That would be awesome. As I told sebastian, Dr. Garcha gave me some minimal information in a reply to my query, but he told me that I should receive a more formal and detailed email soon. But I would still like to see that PDF so I have something to look at in the meantime. You could PM me, or if that doesn't work I could PM you my email address and you could attach it in an email, if that works better for you. Thanks a bunch!

Hey Zachary, just sent you a PM. Sorry about the delay, I was out all afternoon. 

I'm currently at OSU as an undergrad and am now applying to English PhD programs for fall of 2013. I just wanted to say that it's a great school. I've received a fantastic education there, the faculty in the English department are so supportive, very knowledgeable but very student-friendly. If any of you have questions about specific faculty members, I can maybe answer them. I've focused a lot on early modern and gender studies, but I've also worked with Americanists, Victorianists, Medievalists, etc. Feel free to ask if you want to! Congrats to all who have been accepted!

Accepted: UW-Madison

Interview: Notre Dame

Rejected:Duke, Northwestern, Brown

Waitlisted: UC Davis, U of Michigan

Pending: U Penn, Columbia, UC Santa Barbara, Indiana University, University of Illinois, WUSTL

@HHEoS Congrats to you too :) on the OSU waitlist and your other acceptances. I know things are unpredictable at this stage. If you don't mind could you please PM me the PDF  regarding the TA funding that you have received from Prof. Garcha. Like Zachary said, it is something to look at while we wait for further news. :) Thanks.

So... should I be worried if I still haven't received anything from the department, other than the phone call acceptance?

I just today received an official letter, and my phone call from Dr. Garcha was like 10 days ago. Otherwise I've received nothing. So I think you're fine. I guess they're just backed up?

Am I the only person whose application is still "in review" for OSU? I had some issues with a study abroad transcript, which apparently has finally been resolved on their end. And yet while I was initially given optomistic feedback by a women in the graduate studies office, I was recently told that "they [the admissions committee] could have gone ahead without this information."

I am not terribly hopeful, but I am quite confused. Waitlist perhaps?

Edited by Pranayama

Pran, I would e-mail or call to ask.

Thanks, will do. I have called multiple times about this issue, and I have been in frequent contact with their office. I was told that my newly completed file would be reviewed this Monday via email, so I was holding off for a bit. Their admissions office makes it sound like they have no direct contact with the admissions committee in charge of acceptances/rejections, which is plausible but makes this whole process all the more difficult to navigate. At this point I have a complex about "annoying them," but really this needs to be resolved one way or another.

Thanks, will do. I have called multiple times about this issue, and I have been in frequent contact with their office. I was told that my newly completed file would be reviewed this Monday via email, so I was holding off for a bit. Their admissions office makes it sound like they have no direct contact with the admissions committee in charge of acceptances/rejections, which is plausible but makes this whole process all the more difficult to navigate. At this point I have a complex about "annoying them," but really this needs to be resolved one way or another.

If it helps at all, I know that they've been doing their acceptances over the course of a few weeks; I got my acceptance call on the 15, which was several days after they began. However, at this point they might be finished and you might just be on the waitlist. Sorry I don't know more :(

Am I the only person whose application is still "in review" for OSU? I had some issues with a study abroad transcript, which apparently has finally been resolved on their end. And yet while I was initially given optomistic feedback by a women in the graduate studies office, I was recently told that "they [the admissions committee] could have gone ahead without this information."

I am not terribly hopeful, but I am quite confused. Waitlist perhaps?

My status still reads "In Review," but I was informed that I'm waitlisted. 

Have you been in contact with Graduate Admissions or the English department? It sounds like maybe it's the former, so that might be why there seems to you to be a disconnect between the office and the departmental ad-comm. If you haven't already, I'd suggest sending an email to graduateenglish@osu.edu or contacting Dr. Garcha, the head of Grad Admissions in the English department, directly. 

If it helps at all, I know that they've been doing their acceptances over the course of a few weeks; I got my acceptance call on the 15, which was several days after they began. However, at this point they might be finished and you might just be on the waitlist. Sorry I don't know more :(

Thanks for the info, Zachary :)

My status still reads "In Review," but I was informed that I'm waitlisted. 

Have you been in contact with Graduate Admissions or the English department? It sounds like maybe it's the former, so that might be why there seems to you to be a disconnect between the office and the departmental ad-comm. If you haven't already, I'd suggest sending an email to graduateenglish@osu.edu or contacting Dr. Garcha, the head of Grad Admissions in the English department, directly. 

HHEoS: Solid advice. My app for Madison still reads "pending" and I am waitlisted there, so that might be the case. I have been in touch with the Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions. I will try contacting the English department directly.