Ohio State - Columbus

I just spoke with Dr. Garcha, and I let him know that I will be accepting their offer. I am so excited to meet everyone at the visiting day! For everyone waiting, I hope that good news come your way quite soon. Go Bucks!

Wow, congrats! I am excited to meet everyone there too!

I just spoke with Dr. Garcha, and I let him know that I will be accepting their offer. I am so excited to meet everyone at the visiting day! For everyone waiting, I hope that good news come your way quite soon. Go Bucks!

Congrats! 

Congrats on your decision! I'll see you at visit day!

I'm interested in early 18th century art and lit. (British and French), digital humanities, and narrative theory.

I know next to nothing about queer studies/theory; any primer recommendations?

ETA: I'm well versed in Foucault and Butler, and I know I need to read Halerpin's Saint Foucault. That's about all I've got.

Edited by Laokoon

I'm interested in early 18th century art and lit. (British and French), digital humanities, and narrative theory. I know next to nothing about queer studies; any primer recommendations?

my work tends to focus on queer negativity as opposed to more utopian queer theory. my favorite is lee edelman's  _no future_. i think his writing style is very clear and often entertaining.

other recent queer theory: halberstam's _the queer art of failure_, freeman's _time binds_, and more utopian & perf. studies based theory munoz's _cruising utopia_

Edited by mindlesspleasures

my work tends to focus on queer negativity as opposed to more utopian queer theory. my favorite is lee edelman's _no future_. i think his writing style is very clear and often entertaining.

other recent queer theory: halberstam's _the queer art of failure_, freeman's _time binds_, and more utopian & perf. studies based theory munoz's _cruising utopia_

Thanks, mindlesspleasures!

_Time Binds_ looks to be right up my alley. I think I'll start there.

Edited by Laokoon

enthusiastic columbus native & osu-employee here. feel free to PM if you've got questions about the city -- esp. if you're

interested in food-sy farm-sy things, or are looking to scope out potential places to live. i also have an adorable and extremely

cheap apartment that my partner and i will be looking to sublet/turn over to a new leasee in mid/late july and/or early august -- $515/mo. currently! -- right straight down the road from campus (seriously. the road ends in thompson library) if any of you potential OSU-ers are interested! send me a PM!

congrats all! and my infinite enthusiasm to anyone who ends up working with elizabeth renker, or barry shank in comp. studies!!!

<3!

also, don't know when this visiting weekend is, but i'd be HAPPY to talk volumes about my favorite

restaurants/ice cream shops (you gotta visit jeni's -- absinthe & meringues just launched! and savannah

buttermint is back in town! woohoo!) if you're innerested. or i'll just post a quick shortlist ;)

yay! welcome to town soon, all!

Just booked my travel plans for the visiting day. Is anyone going the day before so that they can attend a seminar?

I'm planning on getting into town Thursday, but I don't think I'll get there in time for a seminar. I am going to stay in town all day Saturday so I can scope out the city and apartments.

I really want to make sure I sit in on a seminar at my prospective schools, so I am getting there Wednesday night, attending a seminar on Thursday, and probably leaving on Saturday. I am not quite ready to look for apartments yes, because I have no idea what I'd do if my wait list at Irvine converts...

Hi guys!!

Writing this from South Korea. I am obviously an international student. About a week ago i received an email from Dr. Garcha (right?) that I have made into the wait list for MA/PhD program and that I am the top candidate for the specific area of the program. His words were really hopeful. OSU is most definitely my top choice for me. I would love to be a part of this group of exciting grad students!! :) cross fingers for me if you would!!

Edited by smy917

Two things to note about the fellowship that I wish I knew last year: you can't hold any other jobs or appointments while on fellowship (fellowships last 12 months, they pay you through the summer as well), and because you are taking additional classes and not teaching (therefore not in the pre-semester teaching workshop and various other professional development things) it can be difficult to meet people or feel connected to the department. This definitely varies from person to person, but I've personally experienced this, and so have many people I know. Regardless, a fellowship is a wonderful opportunity, and OSU is an amazing program. Every day I'm in awe of the brilliant professors and graduate students.

I'm super late to this party, but-- not to overgeneralize from two examples, but this is a point that has been made by people in my program under fellowship as well. Missing the week-long mentor program and twice-weekly practicum meetings does make some people feel a little alienated. I'm lucky to be in an extremely tight-knit cohort, and the fellowship students are integral parts of our group. (The first years are crazy close, too. They had Christmas photos taken at a professional studio together!) It helps, here, that the first of our five core classes is always the first semester and always the new cohort. But I think this feeling is pretty common, and it isn't always ideal to miss out on the teaching experience.

That said, what are you gonna do, turn down a fellowship? The money is better and you have a CV line for life. It's a great honor and a good thing. I would just make sure to reach out to your cohorties who have regular TAships. I'm in love with my program, but I can't imagine it if I wasn't so close to my cohort. They're incredible.

Hi guys!!

Writing this from South Korea. I am obviously an international student. About a week ago i received an email from Dr. Garcha (right?) that I have made into the wait list for MA/PhD program and that I am the top candidate for the specific area of the program. His words were really hopeful. OSU is most definitely my top choice for me. I would love to be a part of this group of exciting grad students!! :) cross fingers for me if you would!!

Best of luck!

Also, where in South Korea are you from? I have a few friends from Seoul.

Edited by ZacharyBinks

Best of luck!

Also, where in South Korea are you from? I have a few friends from Seoul.

I am from Seoul!! Do you have friends in Seoul? it's random but one of important reasons for me wanting a spot in OSU is because my best friend lives in Columbus, Ohio!

I am from Seoul!! Do you have friends in Seoul? it's random but one of important reasons for me wanting a spot in OSU is because my best friend lives in Columbus, Ohio!

I have friends from Seoul, yes! I went to a boarding school for high school and we had several students from South Korea, so that's how I know them. My closest friend is currently in the military right now, though, on his second year. I hope everything goes well for you!