What's the prettiest campus you've ever seen?

CQE

Clearly, nobody is basing their doctorate or Master's decision off of who has the prettiest campus...at least not entirely. That being said, I thought this might be a fun thread to see what others think, especially if there are differing views regarding the same campus. Moreover, this is simply just another thread to pass the time that we all wish we could just forward through until hearing our admission decision(s).

Anyway, I suppose I'll start...

I recently saw Penn, Harvard, and BC's campuses.  All were beautiful, but I believe Penn was the most beautiful of the three. BC's upper-campus was amazing as well, and I managed to see Harvard's campus after a nice snowfall. I think from top to bottom, Harvard's was more impressive than BC. However, BC's Gasson Hall might just have what I believe to be the single-most beautiful building of them all. 

Vanderbilt was another one I saw a few years ago that was amazing. Very clean, nice campus with tons of gorgeous trees (after all, the campus itself is referred to as an arboretum).  Additionally, I consider Nashville to be the "Boston of the South" due to its rich history and cleanliness. So while Nashville and Boston are not technically part of Vandy or Harvard's/BC's respective campuses, the fact that all are so close (or even within, in Vandy's case) to such great cities certainly adds to the draw of the schools.

So...what's the prettiest campus(es) you've ever seen?

Edited by CQE

I visited Harvard's campus on a whim while interviewing for a different MLS program during my senior year (which I ended up not being cazy about). And it just pulled me in, it was so gorgeous.

I am pretty spoiled, though. I went to a college for undergrad that's on an arboretum, and graduation takes place in an outdoor ampitheater. The vibe of a college campus is important for me, that's for sure.

In addition to my doctoral search, I took my daughters around as they looked for their undergrad school. Personally, I love being on any collegiate campus. But for beauty, Lehigh stands out for me.

P.S. Older one at Florida State, younger one off to Smith this fall.

My pick is rather moot since the school doesn't have a grad program, but my sister-in-law attended Connecticut College as an undergrad, and I thought the campus was lovely. The view of the Long Island Sound alone made me jealous, especially considering that my alma mater's campus was boring and suburban.

And Middlebury, of course. Simply beautiful.

I think the schools I've applied to (UVA and Boulder) have attractive campuses, even if they couldn't be more different.

(Please bear with me-- I LOVE visiting college campuses.  I would actually consider it a hobby!)

I am biased towards colonial colleges so College of William and Mary has my vote for best all around.

Middlebury College wins for me for most quintessential New England campus.

Larger research universities-- it gets harder because you are dealing with so many different architectural types usually.

For publics, I am partial to Berkeley and Michigan.  (Although, I hear UCLA is beautiful but I have never been....yet!)

For privates, Yale and Princeton.  (They are SO colonial :)  )

Internationally-- either Oxford or St. Andrews.  I am definitely a fan of stone buildings and history. 

Great topic, CQE! I love visiting college campuses, but I guess that comes with the territory of being a higher ed nerd. I've seen my fair share of campuses, but I'm always up for more!

I am a big fan of Duke, their buildings are simply gorgeous and I love the whole woodsy setting in NC. I finally visited Harvard for the first time last year, and I was a little let down, tbh. I think because I had very high expectations (it was my #1 choice for undergrad that I dreamed about for years), I was a little disappointed after all those years of build-up. But, that being said, the campus is very pretty and I love the Harvard Square area - the quintessential college town setting.

My favorite campus, though, has to be Stanford. Beautiful architecture, a gorgeous quad designed by Frederick Olmsted (Central Park architect), and lots of green and flora. Set on its own 8,000 acres, it feels like a world unto itself. But, I could be a little biased. :P

On 2/5/2013 at 5:42 PM, merrysoprano said:

Has anyone else seen Swarthmore's campus? :)

Swarthmore is nice. I like Bryn Mawr as well (maybe more)? I know Kenyon has been voted "most beautiful" before but I was not a huge fan. I visited WashU years ago when in high school. It was spring and gorgeous (which may have biased me). Sadly my undergrad institutions and all my grad picks are not the prettiest places. The west coast on the whole tends not to be, IMO.

Now I have to namedrop. Has anyone else seen Swarthmore's campus? :)

Yes! Didn't spend much time there or see the entire campus, but what I saw was beautiful. 

My favorites are:

Yale- The American collegiate gothic architecture is impressive.

Swarthmore- Great arboretum with nice stone buildings.

Stanford- Neat old mission style campus with a mix of beautiful new buildings.

WUSTL- Especially in the fall. So many trees.

Pomona- A beautiful campus that is especially nice when you can see the mountain without any smog.

All three service academies- Good locations and unique buildings.

Kansas- Allen Fieldhouse

Pepperdine- You might think you are at a resort.

Pepperdine - hands-down best view of the ocean. 

Vanderbilt - fall foliage on the Peabody lawn is quite amazing.

UCLA - South Campus is meh, but the area around Royce Hall is just breathtaking... and Westwood is a nice little addition :)

I'd love to visit Stanford & Harvard, as I've heard only wonderful things about the campus scenery/feel. Also, I feel selfish, but I will come clean and say that the the campus & city "vibe" is a rather significant factor for me  :rolleyes:

Of the schools I've personally seen, (USF, UF, GT, Duke, UNC, NCSU, Georgetown, Maryland, WashU, Penn, Rochester, Cornell, Utah, Colorado), I'm partial to WashU. The buildings all match, the architecture is beautiful, and the setting is nice. From pictures it looks amazing in the snow. Penn has some beautiful buildings (Fisher Fine Arts Library, the quad, etc). Cornell's law library is gorgeous. 

I'd have to put my vote in for University of Richmond. Gorgeous campus!

I'm taking an Italian class at UofR for fun right now, and the campus is nice. I like the lake and how the school has seamlessly integrated some of the newer architecture.

The campus apartments aren't so pretty, but at least they're off in their own little area.

Tufts- Medford campus...but then again I'm a little biased. I fell in love with it as a prospective student and still think it's very pretty as an Alum. Spring and Fall look so quintessentially New England.  ^_^

I visited University of Michigan's campus and thought their Law Library was incredible.

Wow, emg28, congrats on all your acceptances--and possibly more to come!

Aw, thanks! I feel very lucky to have options. This wasn't the case as an undergrad. But I know the hard part is coming....making the BIG decision. 

Great topic, CQE! I love visiting college campuses, but I guess that comes with the territory of being a higher ed nerd. I've seen my fair share of campuses, but I'm always up for more!

I am a big fan of Duke, their buildings are simply gorgeous and I love the whole woodsy setting in NC. I finally visited Harvard for the first time last year, and I was a little let down, tbh. I think because I had very high expectations (it was my #1 choice for undergrad that I dreamed about for years), I was a little disappointed after all those years of build-up. But, that being said, the campus is very pretty and I love the Harvard Square area - the quintessential college town setting.

My favorite campus, though, has to be Stanford. Beautiful architecture, a gorgeous quad designed by Frederick Olmsted (Central Park architect), and lots of green and flora. Set on its own 8,000 acres, it feels like a world unto itself. But, I could be a little biased. :P

Thanks, Loseric!

Your mentioning of Duke reminded me of UNC-Chapel Hill. I totally forgot about it, for whatever reason.

UNC was VERY impressive. I really liked Chapel Hill, mainly because it being a little college town makes it feel nice and cozy. Additionally, the buildings were pretty, the mature trees were beautiful, and the Carolina Blue street signs were a nice touch.

Edited by CQE