Waiting for Guffman (the waitlist thread)

I think so. I WAS planning on UCLA until I heard the funding offer from Berkeley last week. That played a huge part in reversing my decision because it was far more money than everyone else offered. #1 funding + #1 department + convos with several profs saying they personally really wanted me to stay (not just recruitment talk) won me back over.

What an amazing offer! Congrats!

Just saw this on a different grad student forum and I thought I'd post it here, since the mods here don't really moderate, well, at all:

Hi all, 

I'm a fairly laid back mod, but will not tolerate any pleading to decline offers. It doesn't matter how the process works on the school's side, I'm sure there's lots of variation. The fact is that the April 15th deadline is there for a reason and I don't want anyone doing anything they might regret from pressure on here. Campus visit days haven't happened, information that might be relevant might come to light prior to April 15th (suppose your dream school burns down or three top faculty announce moves), and not all offers are out... there is no way anyone can know for sure that their choice now will be the same on April 15th or whenever they choose to make it. 

After April 15th, any remorse is your own fault, until then, no one should be trying to make it theirs.

Not sure if anyone else on here has been wait-listed at U Pittsburgh, but I contacted the DGS about prospects of being accepted off the waitlist and figured I'd share that information. She said that, although it's highly variable, last year more people than expected accepted their offer, so they were told to accept fewer students this year—16 instead of 20. She wrote: "We are not allowed to go to the wait list until our number of acceptances is clearly going to be less than 11, but 16 is closer to 11 than 20 was."

Is anybody else attending an open house at a school where they were wait listed? I'm nervous because I feel like I'll have to really sell myself to the program while trying to take in if the school really is a good fit or not. Anyone else feeling nervous about this?

Is anybody else attending an open house at a school where they were wait listed? I'm nervous because I feel like I'll have to really sell myself to the program while trying to take in if the school really is a good fit or not. Anyone else feeling nervous about this?

I am not attending the open house, but I am going to visit the school and meet with my POIs and the DGS. For that, I am nervous. I am sort of treating it like an interview. But yes, nervous.

Yeah, sort of. I'm going to visit Texas A&M, where I'm waitlisted for PhD but in for MA. It's just kind of a weird situation. :/

just turned down my offer at u.t. austin -- so hopefully someone doing american studies-y things or popular culture

will hear soon? nods, though, to fishbucket -- this shit's important, too. trying to balance keeping *myself* from being

overwhelmed with too many options, being courteous to the waitlisted folks, and, of course, trying to hold on to some options,

too, in light of catastrophes (i.e. the fickleness/full-changin' vision of my mind!)

whew-o! ready for this blessed process to be over, folks!

good luck to everyone still waiting!

So, I'm on the waitlist at Chicago and Emory, and I assume Maryland--I feel like I should have been rejected by now, if I wasn't. Then I've been accepted into UT and SMU. As a Medievalist, I don't think Emory is going to happen, so I have decided to remove myself from the list tomorrow. I've also decided to reject UT (yay waitlisters for Austin!!)...I'm scared to withdraw from Chicago though. My funding package from SMU was incredibly generous, and I have cousin in town that might be able to help watch my toddler vs. whole new territory in Chicago. But Chicago is Chicago! Does anyone know if their waitlist is ranked? I feel guilty stressing over this when I know others have less options. :-(

So, I'm on the waitlist at Chicago and Emory, and I assume Maryland--I feel like I should have been rejected by now, if I wasn't. Then I've been accepted into UT and SMU. As a Medievalist, I don't think Emory is going to happen, so I have decided to remove myself from the list tomorrow. I've also decided to reject UT (yay waitlisters for Austin!!)...I'm scared to withdraw from Chicago though. My funding package from SMU was incredibly generous, and I have cousin in town that might be able to help watch my toddler vs. whole new territory in Chicago. But Chicago is Chicago! Does anyone know if their waitlist is ranked? I feel guilty stressing over this when I know others have less options. :-(

I'm really curious about why you picked SMU. I assume this is Southern Methodist? I've only heard little tidbits here and there about the program, but it doesn't look to be old enough to have any graduates yet. I would be terrified about the sheer youth of the program. The funding package does look amazing though!

I'm really curious about why you picked SMU. I assume this is Southern Methodist? I've only heard little tidbits here and there about the program, but it doesn't look to be old enough to have any graduates yet. I would be terrified about the sheer youth of the program. The funding package does look amazing though!

Honestly, one of my mentors suggested it; it would have never occurred to me otherwise. They have one of the premier feminist Medievalists in the country on staff, so after I saw that, it made sense to apply. But SMU wasn't my top pick until I went there last week. They have graduated most of one cohort, who have all been placed in tenure-track jobs, and for me, their focus on professional development and pedagogy was, after a chance to work with Bonnie Wheeler, what decided me. I'm doing my thesis on professional development and mentorship in graduate schools, so it really resonated.

Plus, they were one of the few schools that didn't recoil in horror when I mentioned having a two year old, which I was very upfront about. Ultimately, for me at least, their youth is a strength. It is allowing them to put in systems of tracking and support immediately from the beginning. Some/most of the older programs never did that...I assume because they never realized they'd become so large. As a result, they struggle to place their candidates after graduation.

I concede that it wouldn't be for everyone, though. :-)

Edited by m_pru

But Chicago is Chicago! Does anyone know if their waitlist is ranked? I feel guilty stressing over this when I know others have less options. :-(

I thought Chicago didn't have a wait list! Food for thought though: many advisors have warned me not to chose a program based on ONE faculty member. What if that person ends up being a jerk? What if that person retires? Moves? Etc. At SMU, are there other people you could and would want to work with beside Bonnie Wheeler? Just something to consider.

I know that at some schools, they have a waitlist that they never announce; they just wait until they have people turn down offers to extend more. I think the theory is that it will help avoid making people who get in off the waitlist feel stigmatized. I personally wasn't waitlisted, but I did hear quite late in the day.

And while I can't speak for any other programs, at both my MA department and my PhD program, nobody knew or cared in the slightest who got in off a waitlist or in what order or whatever. It's just totally irrelevant. You meet the actual people and that sort of thinking just seems pointless.

How did Chicago phrase it...it was something to the effect of: while we are not currently extending you an offer, we are keeping you in mind in case an opening develops. Please do not hesitate to call us if you have any questions. It was an awkward email. I was tempted to call and make sure that meant I was waitlisted. Now, I think I might need to!! Eek!!

M_pru, after checking out SMU's website, I must say that their funding is phenomenal, and it's even better that visiting campus has made you fall in love with the program.  Congrats!
Yeah, I was surprised by both the offer and my reaction to the school on my visit. I'm starting to feel really calm about it, so I think it might be The One. :) And I love your profile pic, by the way!

Yeah, I was surprised by both the offer and my reaction to the school on my visit. I'm starting to feel really calm about it, so I think it might be The One. :) And I love your profile pic, by the way!

Thanks!

I wonder if SMU, being a really new program, gets to be cutting edge.  It certainly seems so in terms of funding -- you're even provided a laptop, right?.  I'm curious what your overall impressions of the program were.

Fellow waitlisters ---  How long do you/we wait?  I know its only March, but I feel like April is coming up so fast.

I'm waitlisted what feels like everywhere.  How long do I give these programs before I go with the 1 program I've been accepted to (so far)?

The program I've been accepted to wants to know 4/1 if I'm coming! I realize technically I have until 4/15, but I get the impression many are not offered a spot off the waitlist until at least then.

Fellow waitlisters ---  How long do you/we wait?  I know its only March, but I feel like April is coming up .
I'm in the same situation. I have a great TAship offer at one of my top choices, am waitlisted at another top choice and suspect I'm wait listed at another program that could be a great fit. Some days I'm ready to throw in the towel and accept my TAship offer, but then I think about how much effort I put into each app and feel like I owe it to myself to wait it out for the absolute best situation. The thing is, I am freaked out about waiting it out until the 15th! Argh, what a process.

Fellow waitlisters ---  How long do you/we wait?  I know its only March, but I feel like April is coming up so fast.

I'm waitlisted what feels like everywhere.  How long do I give these programs before I go with the 1 program I've been accepted to (so far)?

The program I've been accepted to wants to know 4/1 if I'm coming! I realize technically I have until 4/15, but I get the impression many are not offered a spot off the waitlist until at least then.

Well, first, you might want to double-check that you are allowed to wait until April 15 here, if you haven't already. The national deadline only applies to schools that have agreed to this resolution.

I'm 100% ready and willing to wait until April 15 to see what happens with the one program at which I'm waitlisted. However, if you can't wait that long, you might want to wait until the programs where you are waitlisted have held campus visits. Accepted students usually have a definite feeling about their potential decision after visiting all of the programs at which they were accepted and will probably begin to finalize those decisions then. This year, it looks like most campus visits will be through by the week of April 1, although there are exceptions. Hope this helps.

Edited by HHEoS