Waiting for Guffman (the waitlist thread)

That's some rough shooting on the Rochester list...ouch.

Imma go back to nail-biting now. :)

Sorry. That's how it is for my Irvine waitlist - they accepted 15 and are aiming for an entering class of 10, so at the VERY least, 6 people will have to decline.

For what it's worth, I am still 99% sure I will be declining Rochester, and I know of another person who was accepted and will be declining. So... there's 2! (I haven't declined yet, because I want to visit some of the other programs I am favoring first just to make sure they go ok. If they go well, I will decline Rochester ASAP). 

Agreed; different programs do it different ways and the way the schools you applied to do it may be the most common. I just know that UT does only accept the number they can fund.

ETA: sorry, this was in response to the earlier convo on waitlist structures at different unis.

Edited by GuateAmfeminist

Agreed; different programs do it different ways and the way the schools you applied to do it may be the most common. I just know that UT does only accept the number they can fund.

ETA: sorry, this was in response to the earlier convo on waitlist structures at different unis.

So if UT is aiming for an entering class of 15, say (I have no idea how big the program there is) they only accept 15 students? They don't initially accept a few more, knowing that at least some will decline?

Sorry. That's how it is for my Irvine waitlist - they accepted 15 and are aiming for an entering class of 10, so at the VERY least, 6 people will have to decline.

For what it's worth, I am still 99% sure I will be declining Rochester, and I know of another person who was accepted and will be declining. So... there's 2! (I haven't declined yet, because I want to visit some of the other programs I am favoring first just to make sure they go ok. If they go well, I will decline Rochester ASAP). 

No, it's good to know what I'm up against--in this vast empty void that is application season, information, no matter how stressful, is welcome.

And I hope, slightly for my sake but mostly for yours, that whichever program you want most has a visit that goes amazingly well.  You've had some awesome outcomes this season.  Thank you for keeping me updated on what you're doing; you didn't have to, and I appreciate it very much. :)

I have exactly zero point zero zero zero hope of getting off my waitlist, so I've just resigned myself to applying again. I even thought up a new topic for my next statement of purpose. Though it will probably change a lot in the intervening 9-10 months. 

Next time around, I suppose I'll apply to more schools.

I have exactly zero point zero zero zero hope of getting off my waitlist, so I've just resigned myself to applying again. I even thought up a new topic for my next statement of purpose. Though it will probably change a lot in the intervening 9-10 months. 

Next time around, I suppose I'll apply to more schools.

Weren't you accepted at CUNY?

No movers from CUNY English wait list? Also wondering how the Open house went on Friday- anyone go?

I haven't heard anything yet. I was hoping that a lot of people would start officially accepting/declining after the open house, creating some movement.

Remember when you asked why I was applying to so many schools. This is why.

Fair enough. But I'm still going to have some trouble figuring out which schools to apply to next go-around, since I don't want to just get in SOMEWHERE. I want to get into places I'd willingly attend.

Fair enough. But I'm still going to have some trouble figuring out which schools to apply to next go-around, since I don't want to just get in SOMEWHERE. I want to get into places I'd willingly attend.

Posted at 4:44, nice!

Doesn't quite make up for your goose-egg season, but it's a start.

ETA: I can say this because I know fishbucket very well personally and we are actually quite fond of one another. Or at least she is of me.

ETA x 2: It was 2:44 where you were. Just forget this whole post.

Edited by Deadinthewater

I can say this because I know fishbucket very well personally and we are actually quite fond of one another. Or at least she is of me.

You wish I were fond of you. See how I used the subjunctive mood in that sentence? Most people wouldn't have done that!!!

I have declined UW and UChicago. Hopefully that will help someone out.

May I ask where you're finally headed? Just curious, since turning down Chicago is a fairly big deal! Feel free to PM.

If anyone else is waitlisted at Texas Tech, I got an email from Dr. McFadden this morning.  Four initial offers went out and there are four of us on the waitlist.  I don't know what the situation with anyone else is, but he said that there is only one student in my field (LSJE) who got an initial offer, so if that student or any two other students reject their offer, I'm likely in.  The waitlist is not ranked and they're trying to organize it so they have a variety of incoming students.

Wondering what's up with UVA. I got what seemed like a very encouraging waitlist email from them in Mid-February. They said I was towards the top of their waitlist and they hoped to have good news for me soon and made me feel like a pretty pretty princess. Now I see they've accepted four more people this week, seemingly not from the waitlist, which makes me wonder why they were waitlisting people if they still had spots open, and makes me feel like I was somewhat naive to be optimistic, and like I'm writing a run-on sentence. 

Seriously, though, any thoughts on what it might mean for the waitlist if they're still accepting people now? I don't think it can be good news.