Waiting for Guffman (the waitlist thread)

I'm actually wondering a similar thing. I have an acceptance to a school and am on the waitlist for funding at another, both of which I have not visited. I can only gauge the department environment via what I read online. I'd like to know how others think about not visiting any of the schools and choosing based on data alone.

Personally, it would concern me. However, I know some people who have accepted offers "sight unseen" and been perfectly happy. You might see if the department could put you in touch with a current grad student...that would give you a more candid idea of the program's culture, etc. 

I'm actually wondering a similar thing. I have an acceptance to a school and am on the waitlist for funding at another, both of which I have not visited. I can only gauge the department environment via what I read online. I'd like to know how others think about not visiting any of the schools and choosing based on data alone.

Anoveldave: I actually ended up accepting an offer off the waitlist that I hadn't visited, even though I had visited my other three schools. It made me nervous initially, but I talked to a whole bunch of profs and grad students, and in the end I was pretty convinced. However, there's still a chance that I'll hate the campus, which worries me.

congrats, gwwg and Two Espressos!!! it's great to see things work out for both of you.

I'm reposting this again in case it just got lost in the mayhem last time: anyone know anything about CUNY's waitlist? any movement? when we might hear?

Personally, it would concern me. However, I know some people who have accepted offers "sight unseen" and been perfectly happy. You might see if the department could put you in touch with a current grad student...that would give you a more candid idea of the program's culture, etc. 

That's a great idea. gwarner13, do you think it would be better if I personally contacted current grad students or if I requested the department put me in touch with one? I feel that it might seem like I'm asking for my hand to be held if the latter...

Anoveldave: I actually ended up accepting an offer off the waitlist that I hadn't visited, even though I had visited my other three schools. It made me nervous initially, but I talked to a whole bunch of profs and grad students, and in the end I was pretty convinced. However, there's still a chance that I'll hate the campus, which worries me.

ghijklmn: Thanks! That definitely gives me some confidence in making an *objective* decision. Both of the schools are on the west coast and it's not possible for me to make the cross country trip in the next week or so. I suppose it's down to doing enough of the research to make an educated choice.

Holy shit, dude!!!! Congrats! It feels like one of Oprah's Giveaways in here, man. "You get a PhD! And you get a PhD! Everyone's getting a PhD!!!"

Oh, and as promised earlier,

tumblr_m38yxqdxxl1qaji28o1_500.gif

A gif of John Green doing the happy dance. Because that's totes how I felt when I just read that :)

This is perfect, thank you. (I am so glad I got to see it!)

YOU GUYS!!!  I've just been accepted to UNC-Chapel Hill!  :wub:

I know I congratulated you in another thread, but THIS IS SO PERFECT. I have been waiting for you and gwwg to really complete this application season. I can't imagine how the wait was for you two! 

Edited by asleepawake

Congrats to girl with glasses and Two Espressos! That's awesome! 

I just turned down offers from TCU, Texas Woman's, South Carolina, Houston, and Virginia Tech and a waitlist from LSU. I'm not sure if anyone here is on any of their waitlists, but if so, I hope you hear good news from these schools soon!

Two Espressos and girl who wears glasses: so, so happy to hear your news - been rooting for you both! I was once a waitlister-turned-admit to my top choice program myself and know how you feel! Summed up thusly:

D9rmH.gif

Congratulations!!

Up-voted because Corgi.

I think you'll be fine. It's a lovely campus. Not much going on in Evanston, but there's a shuttle or something from Chicago to campus. When I visited in November I was told that most grad students live in Chicago.

I got into Brandeis. Having so many good feelings.

YOU GUYS!!!  I've just been accepted to UNC-Chapel Hill!  :wub:

OMG to both of you!!! I am so excited for you two!! I don't post much, but I read this forum all.the.time. I feel like I know you personally have even have pictures in my heads of what you look like.

These posts show the awesomeness that is on this board. Congratulations to you both and to everyone else with such great news!!

OMG to both of you!!! I am so excited for you two!! I don't post much, but I read this forum all.the.time. I feel like I know you personally have even have pictures in my heads of what you look like.These posts show the awesomeness that is on this board. Congratulations to you both and to everyone else with such great news!!

Thank you and congratulations to you as well!

Hi guys, I am also wait-listed by my top choice program. I just got accepted by a conference today, and I wonder whether it would increase my chance of acceptance if I email the grad program and update my CV with this conference? Has anybody done similar things before?

The paper that I will be presenting at this conference is exactly my writing sample for application. The paper will also be published in a subsequent journal. It is a decent enough interdisciplinary conference held by a relevant department in my university, probably the biggest one in the field in my country (I'm international and the sorts of theoretical angles I am pursuing are still new here), but it is far from internationally prestigious.

I was informed of my waiting list status when the program was giving out its first round of offers. I am high on the list, I couldn't make it to the campus visit but I was in touch with a few people within the program. Now it is April 7 and I haven't heard from them for 2 weeks... Just wondering whether updating my CV is the right thing to do for a literature program? I know some friends in business and science have done it...

Edited by elizabethj

Hi guys, I am also wait-listed by my top choice program. I just got accepted by a conference today, and I wonder whether it would increase my chance of acceptance if I email the grad program and update my CV with this conference? Has anybody done similar things before?

The paper that I will be presenting at this conference is exactly my writing sample for application. The paper will also be published in a subsequent journal. It is a decent enough interdisciplinary conference held by a relevant department in my university, probably the biggest one in the field in my country (I'm international and the sorts of theoretical angles I am pursuing are still new here), but it is far from internationally prestigious.

I was informed of my waiting list status when the program was giving out its first round of offers. I am high on the list, I couldn't make it to the campus visit but I was in touch with a few people within the program. Now it is April 7 and I haven't heard from them for 2 weeks... Just wondering whether updating my CV is the right thing to do for a literature program? I know some friends in business and science have done it...

I did this! I emailed UI Urbana-Champaign with a detailed email of updates (academic and professional) to supplement my application. I also attached an updated CV. I sent that two weeks ago (near end of March) and heard back with an acceptance from the wait list on last Tuesday!  So I say: go for it! :)

PM me if you want to know how I worded it or whatever. Best of luck!

I did this! I emailed UI Urbana-Champaign with a detailed email of updates (academic and professional) to supplement my application. I also attached an updated CV. I sent that two weeks ago (near end of March) and heard back with an acceptance from the wait list on last Tuesday!  So I say: go for it! :)

PM me if you want to know how I worded it or whatever. Best of luck!

PMed you. Thank you! And congratulations!!