Waiting for Guffman (the waitlist thread)

Speaking of which, did you find departments to be forthcoming regarding waitlist policy, or was all this conveyed in the original email? I was advised not to ask specifically about rank, chances, etc., so I know nothing except that mine is "very short." Can't decide whether ignorance truly is bliss in this case or not...

I too was advised similarly but it varied. I felt Wisconsin and Vanderbilt were very forthcoming about information in the initial email but I only just found out that Brandeis' was tiered the other day via gradcafe. I thought, however, that Brandeis indicated more openness to questions both in general and about the wait list specifically (I just didn't ask about it).

On 4/3/2013 at 2:13 PM, christakins said:

I'm only waitlisted at one school, Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL), but I found the Academic Coordinator to be incredibly helpful and honest throughout this entire process. She's answered all of my questions, and I know exactly (as in the numerical digit) where I stand. The department seems very organized; I would be delighted to attend if offered the chance.

It seems awkward that a department told you specifically not to inquire about the waitlist or your position on it. I know it's a business and they have to cover their asses, but geez.

To clarify: my undergrad advisors told me not to ask for too many specifics. The department itself has been friendly and responsive. I've just chosen not to inquire too much.

So, how's everyone holding up during the last few days of this waiting nightmare? Sending positive energy everyone's way!

I'm dying, and have possibly turned into the crabbiest most uninterested composition teacher ever. Sorry, students--it's the grad apps faults that your teacher looks like a crazy person.

I'm waitlisted for (more) funding at U South Carolina, and they've been very straightforward and forthcoming with information. Texas A&M, on the other hand, where I'm waitlisted for direct-admit (but in for Masters!) has been considerably more cryptic. I was upfront with my questions about the waitlist and received answers that basically told me nothing in return.  

My waitlist at UVA converted! I'm so psyched! 

For what it's worth, girl who wears glasses (and others) I hear that visiting the program can make a difference, as well as letting them know you would attend if accepted. I remember there was some controversy about telling programs you would definitely attend earlier, but I think this late in the game we have a better sense of our options and know if we would or would not attend. 

For what it's worth, girl who wears glasses (and others) I hear that visiting the program can make a difference, as well as letting them know you would attend if accepted. I remember there was some controversy about telling programs you would definitely attend earlier, but I think this late in the game we have a better sense of our options and know if we would or would not attend. 

Congrats! Do you plan to attend?

Congratulations! That's so exciting! What a great program!

I'm planning on sending an email tomorrow or so when I feel less raw/desperate to ask a few more questions (and, implicitly, to express continued interest). I'm thinking it's HIGHLY unlikely that mine will convert but if it doesn't, I'm definitely reapplying there and feeling out the program more isn't going to make me less prepared for that. (Though it's kind of scary now because I had a nightmare last week that Caren Irr hated me and oh my god this process needs to be over because that is unacceptable subconscious behavior.)

Amazing!  Congrats!

I'm so ready for my wait list spot to convert.  I have good reason to suspect that it will, but nothing is guaranteed, so I could still end up empty-handed this season.  I still have to wait for up to 12 more days... ugh...

Congrats to you! I knew they wouldn't be able to not take you. Possible cohort-mate here.

^ Forgive me for losing track, but your signature indicates one acceptance; why are you talking of ending up empty-handed this round?

My one acceptance is--as of yet-- unfunded, so unless I'm notified of funding sometime between now and the 15th, I'm counting it as a rejection, as I won't take an unfunded offer.

Doesn't seem to be any movement yet on Michigan's Lit waitlist... think I'll email today to see if there's any info about when people might hear. I'm really pretty ready to accept Penn State, but I just want to be sure. Uuuuugh, this uncertainty sucks. :unsure:

Doesn't seem to be any movement yet on Michigan's Lit waitlist... think I'll email today to see if there's any info about when people might hear. I'm really pretty ready to accept Penn State, but I just want to be sure. Uuuuugh, this uncertainty sucks. :unsure:

Guys, I'm really sorry, but I'm part of the problem. I am 99% sure I am accepting Michigan's offer but am not visiting until next week and want to wait to make sure. There is always the possibility that Ann Arbor will be unbearable and my POIs evil robots. This was the soonest (after they took me off the waitlist) that I could affordably get there, so I'm late giving them an answer. I'm sure they're just waiting for all of us to notify before they convert your waitlist status. Again, sorry. 

ETA: I'm comp lit. 

Edited by smellybug

YOU GUYS!!!  I've just been accepted to UNC-Chapel Hill!  :wub:

Holy wow, dude! That's awesome!!! This story just had to end well; no other options.

I really love how this season has gone well for so many of us. Hopefully, those of us who didn't make it this year will draw renewed energy from this for another round. 

Seriously, this has been an amazing season. I'm so happy for everyone!

Thanks, everyone!  I'm super excited.  I got the email at work, and I was shaking pretty much the rest of my shift, haha.

F*** yes. I've been waiting for this. Great going. I really love how this season has gone well for so many of us. Hopefully, those of us who didn't make it this year will draw renewed energy from this for another round. 

Thanks, Swagato!  Grad Cafe members did awesome this season!  For those who weren't successful this round, try again next year: you certainly have our moral support every step of the way!