Waiting for Guffman (the waitlist thread)

this one goes out to you: 

Thanks, everyone! It's been a crazy 24 hrs, as I found out this afternoon I was accepted to UCSB off the waitlist as well (will be declining).

I have also formally declined my UT Austin offer, as well as an M.A. offer from UConn (both fully funded). Hope this helps out a fellow waitlister soon!

Just got an email from Michigan saying they are likely to go their wait list and are contacting the "top few people" to see if they are still interested. AHhhhhh. Just when I thought I could make a decision... :wacko:

Officially notified Michigan earlier today, so hopefully that helps one or more folks out!

I may have asked this before, but would you remind me what your area of specialization is and who your main faculty of interest are at Chicago?

This may sound like a stupid question, but do schools send out notifications when they've officially made all decisions and plucked all from the waitlist they're going to pluck?

I only ask because I was on Iowa's waitlist last year, and I eventually had to Email them in, like, May to find out for sure.  (As I type this I have a weird feeling I asked this question before. If I have, forgive me, and still answer...my brain doesn't work anymore).  I still have hope for my spot converting, but I'm curious about this, especially is Iowa's not known for great communication so I don't want to take them as a great example.

Can I email the phd recruiter where I'm waitlisted today and ask them what they think my chances of this converting on Monday are? They said they would tell me anything as soon as they knew, but there's another offer I may or may not turn down, so I want to know how smart it is to hang on until April 16th or 17th...

To anyone still waiting: Michigan's comp lit dept. has had very few concrete answers. If you still haven't heard anything from them there's definitely a chance that you'll get a call soon.

Thanks all.  Any suggestions between Austin and Michigan?  From what I'm hearing both have congenial, friendly, and supportive departments, and great locations.  Placement rates and overall reputations both seem good, with it hard for me to tell if there's a significant difference, though it seems Michigan is rated slightly higher.  Was anyone else considering both programs?  Anyone want to weigh in with advice.   Right now I have an acceptance to Austin and am very excited about the school, but I'm also still waiting to hear from Michigan, and this late in the game, I imagine I should know what I would do if I got that call.....

I may have asked this before, but would you remind me what your area of specialization is and who your main faculty of interest are at Chicago?

19/20th-C American and African American, critical race theory, racial and cultural construction through text. Since my interests are (as of now) so broad, I figure there's a great amount of people I could eventually work with: Ken Warren, Bill Brown, Eric Slauter, Lauren Berlant... I had an awesome conversation with Adrienne Brown who was hired in 2011. I probably have the least defined list of who I'd be interested in working with at Chicago than any of the other schools I chose from, which was part of my decision to go there.

Edited by jazzy dubois

Hah, that's ...well, it could cut both ways. I always felt Chicago was so interdisciplinary that it is fantastic for someone who has a core set of interests but is keen on building new connections. On the flip side, it could be debilitating for someone with very amorphous interests since they might never find a real focus. But, with that said, I'm sure you'll get a great dissertation put together--clearly the faculty deemed you fit!

In other news, anyone who is still waitlisted at Pitt may be in for disappointment. I just had a quick exchange with the DGS (English) who confirmed that I will not be offered a spot as not enough people have declined. Also, they're running late and many are finalizing decisions rather late in the game. So if you're still holding out for Pitt, you may want to contact them now. 

Accepted off the wait list to Irvine. This makes things interesting! I am not sure how I am ever going to make a decision tomorrow...

I'll make it easy for you. Assuming the fit is good, pick Irvine if they are funding you right. Though I admit I am biased because KeelyMk accepted there and a comrade (MA cohortmate) of mine also accepted there and will be starting this fall.