Waiting for Guffman (the waitlist thread)

Congratulations to all of you who got off the wait list! Wait-listers hold a special place in my heart :lol: I remember that feeling last year... You will all be amazing.

And don't give up yet, those of you still waiting. I found out 2 days before the deadline, so there is still hope! 

Congratulations to all of you who got off the wait list! Wait-listers hold a special place in my heart :lol: I remember that feeling last year... You will all be amazing.

And don't give up yet, those of you still waiting. I found out 2 days before the deadline, so there is still hope! 

I legit reread last year's wait list thread a few days ago and you and fiona thunderpaws give me hope. (Cautious, cautious hope.)

Hey, looks like someone got off the waitlist at Pitt! I just sent in my thanks but no thanks this morning, and I was hoping someone from gradcafe would get off the waitlist. I can't think of any regulars who were waitlisted there though...

Two Espressos and girl who wears glasses: so, so happy to hear your news - been rooting for you both! I was once a waitlister-turned-admit to my top choice program myself and know how you feel! Summed up thusly:

D9rmH.gif

Congratulations!!

THAT IS ME RIGHT NOW.

Thanks everyone, I feel like I'm in the best of company.

YOU GUYS!!!  I've just been accepted to UNC-Chapel Hill!  :wub:

tumblr_lt4djiyO7k1qbymhco1_r4_250.gif

YEAH TWO ESPRESSOS!! I came here just to congratulate you AGAIN, haha! I am so psyched to be cohort mates!

I got into Brandeis. Having so many good feelings.

cosplay-Wacky-Waving-Inflatable-Arm-Flai

Aaaaahhh I am SO delighted to hear this! Yes yes yes! :D :D

Hah. Two bits of good news in as many days. This year really has been good all around. I feel that being waitlisted and getting accepted off it is, in many ways, so much more difficult than getting a straight admit or reject. You're forced to endure an indefinite period of knowing you're good enough to be accepted, if only they had enough spaces, yet you have to wait at the very threshold. I can imagine when the good news arrives for waitlisted folks, it must feel especially sweet. 

FUCK YES!

Amazing work, gwwg.  I was rooting for you so hard.

tumblr_lt4djiyO7k1qbymhco1_r4_250.gif

YEAH TWO ESPRESSOS!! I came here just to congratulate you AGAIN, haha! I am so psyched to be cohort mates!

Thanks, It's (Not) About Me!  I'm psyched to be cohort mates as well; it's going to be awesome!  B)

Hah. Two bits of good news in as many days. This year really has been good all around. I feel that being waitlisted and getting accepted off it is, in many ways, so much more difficult than getting a straight admit or reject. You're forced to endure an indefinite period of knowing you're good enough to be accepted, if only they had enough spaces, yet you have to wait at the very threshold. I can imagine when the good news arrives for waitlisted folks, it must feel especially sweet. 

It's the best feeling in the world.  I'm sure gwwg, It's (Not) About Me, and other former waitlisters would agree.

Holy shit, dude!!!! Congrats! It feels like one of Oprah's Giveaways in here, man. "You get a PhD! And you get a PhD! Everyone's getting a PhD!!!"

Oh, and as promised earlier,

tumblr_m38yxqdxxl1qaji28o1_500.gif

A gif of John Green doing the happy dance. Because that's totes how I felt when I just read that :)

So I have a bit of a dilemma. I've been lucky enough to have been accepted to three great programs and wait listed at another. DGS informed me I'm the first person in line. I'd definitely consider the school that wait listed me (and although this should be taken with a grain of salt, this school is better ranked in my field than my other admits), but I haven't been invited to visit. I'm going to be visiting the other schools, and I just can't imagine myself making a last minute decision should I be admitted without having visited the school and mentally prepared myself.

Should I remove myself from the wait list? Would you choose a school that you haven't visited, when you've seen other schools that admitted you outright?

I'm actually wondering a similar thing. I have an acceptance to a school and am on the waitlist for funding at another, both of which I have not visited. I can only gauge the department environment via what I read online. I'd like to know how others think about not visiting any of the schools and choosing based on data alone.