Waiting for Guffman (the waitlist thread)

I don't think they're accepting people from the general pool.  At least one of the people accepted in the last week later posted that it was from the waitlist, and s/he had been notified earlier about being waitlisted.

Really? I didn't see that. It looks like somebody was asking if they were from the waitlist, but i didn't see a response.

I don't think they're accepting people from the general pool.  At least one of the people accepted in the last week later posted that it was from the waitlist, and s/he had been notified earlier about being waitlisted.

Does anyone know how many people were accepted to Nevada-Reno and whether they already had their visit weekend? I have a friend who's apparently at the top of the waitlist there, but she doesn't use gradcafe and could use some good news. At the least, does anyone know whether there's the chance of any movement on the waitlist?

Does anyone know how many people were accepted to Nevada-Reno and whether they already had their visit weekend? I have a friend who's apparently at the top of the waitlist there, but she doesn't use gradcafe and could use some good news. At the least, does anyone know whether there's the chance of any movement on the waitlist?

Yes.  There were eight initial acceptances and I went out for visiting weekend on March 1.  I would advise your friend to shoot a message to Cheryll Glotfelty, who's been extremely forthcoming with information this whole application cycle.  Those of us who did go out for visiting weekend had a great time and all seemed to enjoy the program, but unfortunately I can't tell you about what the others are thinking and whether there's been any movement on the waitlist.  Personally, I am leaning toward UNR, but I'm not going to commit until I get funding information from my other acceptance and have a good idea about whether I'll get an offer from either of my waitlists.

Congrats!!

Thanks, though my liver does not thank me.  I'm playing "Grad School Chicken," or as my friend calls it "Playing for Pinks."

Rules (for those who have been playing along/want to play next year/want to catch up and join me):

1. every rejection before acceptances = 1 night of debauchery and drinking to excess.

2. any rejection after an acceptance = no drinks for you, you're already in somewhere you dumbass.

3. waitlists = bonus round.  You get to drink no matter if you're in or out.

4. Acceptances = get drunk as shit as well.

Even though I got one acceptance fairly early in the cycle, my waitlists were already breaking my liver, and now getting in off them = liver hates me.

While you don't have to take these nights of excess immediately after hearing word, it is encouraged.

Yes.  There were eight initial acceptances and I went out for visiting weekend on March 1.  I would advise your friend to shoot a message to Cheryll Glotfelty, who's been extremely forthcoming with information this whole application cycle.  Those of us who did go out for visiting weekend had a great time and all seemed to enjoy the program, but unfortunately I can't tell you about what the others are thinking and whether there's been any movement on the waitlist.  Personally, I am leaning toward UNR, but I'm not going to commit until I get funding information from my other acceptance and have a good idea about whether I'll get an offer from either of my waitlists.

Thanks for the info! I guess I'll keep my hopes up then; this is her third app season so I'm hoping she'll have some success.

On 3/28/2013 at 9:04 PM, nada.am said:

Declined UIC and WashU yesterday. Great programs, so I hope it makes someone happy :)

On 3/29/2013 at 9:02 AM, girl who wears glasses said:

Thanks for all your updates!

Seconded!

Okay! I've made my final decision to go to University of Michigan, so I just sent out notices to the schools I've declined: (recently): Case Western, U Illinois Chicago, and Iowa.

The DGS at UIC was a bit aggressive in asking for my decision this week, claiming that they have students on the wait-list for whom UIC is their top choice. SO, I'm assuming that my notice will mean good news for someone there.

I also received an email the other day from Pittsburgh, asking if I still wished to be considered from their wait-list. Since I've just accepted at Michigan, I told them to take me off—but that means that they will probably be going to their wait-list, and someone else will have a spot.

That's all my news!

Okay! I've made my final decision to go to University of Michigan

CONGRATS!!!

After a great visit to OSU, I have declined fully funded offers from Santa Cruz, Stony Brook, and Rochester. I am still considering Irvine and Riverside and am hoping to have a clear picture after I visit them both next week. Hope those three help some people out!!

For anyone else out there who may be waiting on Irvine, I've been told that so far only one person has declined. To get to the waiting list, they'd still need  at least 5 more people to decline. They hope to know more within the next few days.