Waiting for Guffman (the waitlist thread)

Hi! I just declined offers to UCONN and CUNY. Both offers were fully funded--UCONN's came with the OSP award, and CUNY's with the Graduate Center Fellowship (25,000/yr teaching one class a semester for years 2-4). Hope this helps someone with their waitlist!  :)

Edited by strawberryfrap

LOL @ thestage downvoting my gif explosion of celebration for gwwg. What a terribly rotten party pooper.

9y8e7J3.gif

if there's any post more interesting than a series of endless dumb gifs, it is a post complaining about button clicking on the internet

just to annoy you I am going to downvote every post on this page. serious repercussions. CAN YOU HANDLE IT!?

Edited by thestage

Hi, folks -- just checking in to let you know I'm still on the waitlist at Brandeis. Does anyone know anything about their processes? I'm not sure I have a great chance at the moment as, according to their admin, they've already sent out the first round of waitlist acceptances. Woof.

Well, she didn't reject me haha so I guess I am still in the running.

Anyone planning to turn them down? :rolleyes: Please? :ph34r:

omg. this. is. never. going. to. end. 

I hear ya. Today is my two month wait-list-a-versary. -_______-

To make matters worse, I'm fairly certain I suffered a minor heart attack last night when I saw a message from the DGS in my inbox that essentially said: "We still know nothing."

May I ask where you're heading?

Ohio State!

Aw, that's too bad. I guess Ohio State really pulled you in, huh?

Yeah.  It came down to faculty fit, really.  I had such a positive experience meeting the profs at OSU, and their research interests work really well with mine.  Still, it was tough turning UT down.  I've had to spend the past few days telling myself that it's OK.

If I get into UT, he's getting into heaven. Duh.

I'll take that as a promise.

Yeah.  It came down to faculty fit, really.  I had such a positive experience meeting the profs at OSU, and their research interests work really well with mine.  Still, it was tough turning UT down.  I've had to spend the past few days telling myself that it's OK.

Dude, I know those feels. None of my other choices had anything close to the research fit that UT has (seriously, I think that program was built just for me), and I still felt intense discomfort turning Pitt down. It was nice meeting you though; good luck!

ErnestP, I really hope you get in.

Dude, I know those feels. None of my other choices had anything close to the research fit that UT has (seriously, I think that program was built just for me), and I still felt intense discomfort turning Pitt down.

I know exactly how you feel, dazedandbemused.  UNC couldn't be a better fit for me, and various faculty members, students, etc. said as much when I visited in March!  When you find a great graduate program like that, it's just beautiful.

Dude, I know those feels. None of my other choices had anything close to the research fit that UT has (seriously, I think that program was built just for me), and I still felt intense discomfort turning Pitt down. It was nice meeting you though; good luck!

ErnestP, I really hope you get in.

I know exactly how you feel, dazedandbemused.  UNC couldn't be a better fit for me, and various faculty members, students, etc. said as much when I visited in March!  When you find a great graduate program like that, it's just beautiful.

Fit is fate, my friends.

Dazedandbemused, it was nice meeting you, too, and I'm really glad that UT Austin has lived up to your dreams! Best wishes for your future scholarly endeavors.

UCLA and UC Berkeley officially declined. Thank you to everyone on the forum for your support of me and of each other! I am so happy for all the good news I've read on here in these past few months, and thoroughly impressed by everyone's intelligence and determination, even/especially those who may not have received good news (yet!). I am SO excited for all of our futures and I will be sending plenty of happy thoughts and good luck wishes to everyone from Irvine this fall! :D

^ Reading that makes me actually really glad I didn't have any especially tough choices to make (Yale vs Chicago vs Berkeley, for example--which would be a deathmatch between my three top choices). Congratulations on being able to make a reasoned choice, though--I recall Berkeley had offered you some excellent terms.