Opinions on Fat Studies

Now I'm curious. What makes you uncertain?

it's just so the sort of thing that makes our field seem like a parody of itself. it's so hyper-specific and so aimed at a very specific set of very contemporary concerns. i mean i'm sure there are papers to be written about various body types in literature. but is it really worthy of its own subfield?

it's just so the sort of thing that makes our field seem like a parody of itself. it's so hyper-specific and so aimed at a very specific set of very contemporary concerns. i mean i'm sure there are papers to be written about various body types in literature. but is it really worthy of its own subfield?

I mean, are you familiar with the field at all? It's all kind of new, but there is, indeed, plenty to say about it, and not just in contemporary culture. I do agree that I'm a bit more comfortable with terms like "body studies" or "weight studies," but those terms seem to have other implications.

This.  Most "-studies" fields have some merit, but I question whether they really need their own demarcation.  I'd prefer to see gender, race, sexuality, etc. studies integrated into applicable disciplines; it would shut up a lot of the anti-intellectualism from the public as well, who see these fields/degrees and wail about their not being "practical."

Were a B.A. in Beckett Studies offered, for example, I'd never major in it.  It's too specific, as I'd say other "-studies" programs are as well (with some exceptions).

ETA: I'm not an expert in any of these fields, so of course the value of my opinion is limited.  Maybe you all can see where I'm coming from, though?

Edited by Two Espressos

Were a B.A. in Beckett Studies offered, for example, I'd never major in it.  It's too specific, as I'd say other "-studies" programs are as well (with some exceptions).

There's no Fat Studies degree, though... it's like a sub-subfield. Saying "fat studies" is just a term for quickly explaining the work you do... I do animal studies, but I wouldn't expect to attend a special animal studies program...

It totally makes our field a parody of itself! It's just the "intellectual" discourse attendant to the ridiculous idea in this country that being overweight is a "lifestyle choice" that is totally divorced from any kind of personal responsibility.

"Personal responsibility"? What forum am I even on? Like, fatties are just lazy?

I totally understand this concern, but I also think the same argument could have been (and probably was) used in the past to describe then-burgeoning fields like Queer Studies, Black Studies, Chicano Studies and so on. Obesity is such an issue today, at least in America, that the topic merits some level of discussion from people other than public health professionals. 

I hadn't heard of this subfield until just now, but I'm intrigued. Some readings in "The Fat Studies Reader" sound interesting to me ("Double Stigma: Fat Men and their Admirers," comes to mind) whereas others seem a bit obvious ("Does Social Class Explain the Connection Between Weight and Health?" I assumed this to be common-ish knowledge?). 

In any case, I've always wanted to thoroughly examine the nearly barbaric obsession with fatness in the gay male community. Perhaps I'll be able to, now, and get it published in a future edition of The Fat Studies Reader!

There's no Fat Studies degree, though... it's like a sub-subfield. Saying "fat studies" is just a term for quickly explaining the work you do... I do animal studies, but I wouldn't expect to attend a special animal studies program...

Sensible enough.  My point above would only apply to "-studies" degrees that actually exist.

It totally makes our field a parody of itself! It's just the "intellectual" discourse attendant to the ridiculous idea in this country that being overweight is a "lifestyle choice" that is totally divorced from any kind of personal responsibility.

okay whoa just for the record i totally did not mean THAT.

"Personal responsibility"? What forum am I even on? Like, fatties are just lazy?

No, overweight people are a subculture and should be treated accordingly. We should have subdisciplines for Chicano/a literature, Asian-American literature, Jewish literature, African American literature, and overweight literature.

I hadn't heard of this subfield until just now, but I'm intrigued. Some readings in "The Fat Studies Reader" sound interesting to me ("Double Stigma: Fat Men and their Admirers," comes to mind) whereas others seem a bit obvious ("Does Social Class Explain the Connection Between Weight and Health?" I assumed this to be common-ish knowledge?). 

I think a lot of what we take to be "common knowledge" is made such through the work of people who study identity.

In any case, I've always wanted to thoroughly examine the nearly barbaric obsession with fatness in the gay male community. Perhaps I'll be able to, now, and get it published in a future edition of The Fat Studies Reader!

I want to hear more about this.

Yeah, I don't get the personal responsibility comment at all. I only recently started thinking about Fat Studies in any kind of critical way because it came to my attention that fat people are increasingly used as examples for the deterioration of society. Just like gender studies, I think it examines the assumptions we make and the qualities we assign to those who have been effectively othered. For comparison, I think of the term "deficiency" used to explain homosexuality as a defect; in the same way, "epidemic" Is used to describe fat people, as though it's a contagious disease that must be eradicated. I don't see it as fat forgiveness necessarily, but as an attempt to return people's right to dignity and existence regardless of circumstances.

I think a lot of what we take to be "common knowledge" is made such through the work of people who study identity.

Fair enough. I guess I was just surprised that that particular essay would need to be reprinted in a recent anthology. Surely the connection between weight and social class was established so long ago that anyone at the point in their educational/professional careers in which they'd pick up an anthology of essays in such specific subfield would be aware of it. 

I might be entirely wrong, though. Perhaps the connection between weight and social class is a much more recent discovery than I think?

It seems like it would certainly overlap with other identity-studies, especially gender and class. While my initial reaction was totally in line with (fat) Homer jumping the shark, it really only takes a minute or two of closer consideration to see that it could potentially be a really important topic in contemporary cultural studies.

Is this real life? Am I the only person that thinks this is ridiculous? The "personal responsibility" comment that you "don't get" derives from the fact that in the vast majority of cases being overweight is directly involved with diet and physical activity. Are you sure you didn't know that? I know it's hip and trendy to claim that pretty much everyone is a minority, but seriously this kind nonsense is only advocated by WASPS who are desperately trying to minoritize damn near everyone.

I might be entirely wrong, though. Perhaps the connection between weight and social class is a much more recent discovery than I think?

It's also that it has completely reversed: at the turn of the 20th century, before the industrialization of agriculture, poor people often starved to death. Now there are "nutritional deserts" in urban communities where there is an excess of calories--so many people are overweight--but no real nutrition at all. The more I think about this... I'm kinda excited. ;)

I'm very interested in issues of public health, and particularly agriculture and food production in America, so "fat studies" would definitely take those areas into consideration as well.

ETA: I think the name "fat studies" is kind of degrading and potentially misleading, though. Not to mention that it might de-legitimize itself because it will inevitably lead to many of the (shocked, irritated, "SRSLY?!?!") reactions already expressed here.

Edited by bfat