Fall 2014 applicants??

An SOP is a document intended to demonstrate that you're ready to transition into being a professional scholar. I would not use a term like "dream school" in that context.

Okay, that was my impulse, too. Thanks for the confirmation.

Two questions about the fit paragraphs:

Is it all right to mention professors in other affiliated departments (says, comp lit or romance languages) whose research interests match yours?

How should one refer to the POIs in the statement- as Professor X, Dr. X, or just plain X?

Is it all right to mention professors in other affiliated departments (says, comp lit or romance languages) whose research interests match yours?

How should one refer to the POIs in the statement- as Professor X, Dr. X, or just plain X?

If they are tenured or tenure track, put Professor. If they are not, use Doctor. Don't refer to them simply by their first and last name (or even worse, only one of their names) unless you refer to them multiple times, then maybe only the last name is ok. Erring on the side of formal is better, particularly in the SOP.

If they are tenured or tenure track, put Professor. If they are not, use Doctor. Don't refer to them simply by their first and last name (or even worse, only one of their names) unless you refer to them multiple times, then maybe only the last name is ok. Erring on the side of formal is better, particularly in the SOP.

Would you also give me a tip how to refer to someone in the SOP if that person is a senior lecturer without a Ph. D.? 

Would you also give me a tip how to refer to someone in the SOP if that person is a senior lecturer without a Ph. D.? 

Hmm, I'm really not sure about that. That might be a rare case where full name is appropriate. Or you could say 'Instructor John Smith' maybe? Yikes. Sorry I can't be of more help there.

For a fit paragraph, I would try to stay within the department. You don't know how open the department is to interdisciplinary work. For survival purposes most departments these days have to be, but some are more open to it than others. You are applying to English after all. You don't want someone to finish reading your SOP and think, "Well, if they like so-and-so so much, why aren't they applying to their department?". Focus instead on the people in the department you are applying to. This doesn't mean you won't ever have the opportunity to work with other people, but best not turn anyone off before you even get in the door. The exception imo would be someone with dual appointments in say, English and Comp Lit, or English and French. 

For a fit paragraph, I would try to stay within the department. You don't know how open the department is to interdisciplinary work. For survival purposes most departments these days have to be, but some are more open to it than others. You are applying to English after all. You don't want someone to finish reading your SOP and think, "Well, if they like so-and-so so much, why aren't they applying to their department?". Focus instead on the people in the department you are applying to. This doesn't mean you won't ever have the opportunity to work with other people, but best not turn anyone off before you even get in the door. The exception imo would be someone with dual appointments in say, English and Comp Lit, or English and French. 

I'd also say that it's fair to mention interdisciplinary programs or certificates, and faculty affiliated with those programs (a.e. Berkeley Critical Theory, Duke Feminist Studies, Princeton IHum & Media and Modernity, etc). It also, as jazzy mentioned, depends a lot on the school. Berkeley, for example, actually prefers candidates to have at least one committee member external to the English department. 

In any case, I would do a bit of research before hand. Go into ProQuest and look at past disserations; see how many of them have been interdisciplinary and/or involved external readers/committee members. If it looks like it is a common occurrence, I would say that it's fair to briefly mention work that you are excited about in other departments. If not, try to tread lightly. In any case, you do want to emphasize English as the best fit, and treat secondary interests as complimentary. 

Also.. I know this has been asked before, but what are the thoughts on the necessity (not the appropriateness) of including theoretical views/interests in ones SOP? I feel like this knowledge should be covered in the writing sample, but maybe not.

Also.. I know this has been asked before, but what are the thoughts on the necessity (not the appropriateness) of including theoretical views/interests in ones SOP? I feel like this knowledge should be covered in the writing sample, but maybe not.

I mean you are proposing an area of interest in your SoP correct? If so, showing an awareness of current trends in the field/ how your work takes them into account can only help (unless you are talking about a place like Austin, which does not want a proposed area of research).

What is the protocol on reminding people to write letters?! This professor said she was writing mine a week ago but it hasn't been submitted yet and the deadline is tomorrow :S

I would definitely remind her ASAP. Obviously you don't want to be annoying, but I wouldn't risk not getting in a letter in time for something like that. I'm sure she'll understand your concern!

Hi! Quick question: 

A friend who's a first-year History PhD at UC Berkeley is strongly recommending that I include a 1 page, single-spaced abstract at the beginning of my writing sample (which is an excerpt from my longer thesis). He says it was the strongest part of his history application because it summarized his writing sample really well.  He also says it's useful because apparently professors often skim the writing sample; they rarely read it full out. An abstract grabs their attention, and lets them know the purpose of the sample, without them having to read everything. 

However, none of the English programs suggest including an abstract. I'm not sure how they'd feel about it. I've written one now and think it's pretty good. I also emailed a grad program about whether it'd be acceptable, but haven't heard back yet. 

Any thoughts?

Hi! Quick question: 

A friend who's a first-year History PhD at UC Berkeley is strongly recommending that I include a 1 page, single-spaced abstract at the beginning of my writing sample (which is an excerpt from my longer thesis). He says it was the strongest part of his history application because it summarized his writing sample really well.  He also says it's useful because apparently professors often skim the writing sample; they rarely read it full out. An abstract grabs their attention, and lets them know the purpose of the sample, without them having to read everything. 

However, none of the English programs suggest including an abstract. I'm not sure how they'd feel about it. I've written one now and think it's pretty good. I also emailed a grad program about whether it'd be acceptable, but haven't heard back yet. 

Any thoughts?

I'm including my abstract from my thesis so that the readers know where it fits in the larger context of the thesis itself. I also really like my abstract, so that's why I'm putting it there too. I don't see why it would be a bad thing...

Err, I realize that this is a bit late, since the Michigan deadline has already passed. But when I emailed the department about submitting an abstract along with my thesis excerpt, I was advised not to. However, I imagine this isn't consistent across departments...

Err, I realize that this is a bit late, since the Michigan deadline has already passed. But when I emailed the department about submitting an abstract along with my thesis excerpt, I was advised not to. However, I imagine this isn't consistent across departments...

WOAH WOAH woah. You just freaked me out. The application for the PhD in English at U of Michigan is due on December 15th--so it hasn't passed yet. Am I reading the website wrong?

WOAH WOAH woah. You just freaked me out. The application for the PhD in English at U of Michigan is due on December 15th--so it hasn't passed yet. Am I reading the website wrong?

you're completely right. Apologies - I ended up submitting all of my apps due in December at once a couple weeks ago, and mixed up the actual due dates in my head.

you're completely right. Apologies - I ended up submitting all of my apps due in December at once a couple weeks ago, and mixed up the actual due dates in my head.

Understandable. No worries...well, there were lots of worries for a few minutes, but thank god for the internetz!