NPSIA Fall 2013 Applicants

kdav

Maybe either the FGPA just decided to create their own new clusters this year haha. This is driving significant curiosity. Sounds like that could be a really interesting stream though, Blake091, even if we aren't sure what it is exactly haha!

I emailed one of the assistants two days ago and have yet to receive a response. Is it safe to assume I am being considered for the next round? Any idea when that is?

Tough to say, iamnicole... I think Tabbatha and Norean try to respond as soon as they have available information, so fingers crossed that you find out (positively!) soon!

Thanks everyone, I'm pretty excited to be heading to Paris. Though it is a little bittersweet; so many classes I still want to take at NPSIA!

By the way, I believe the School has been thinking about restructuring clusters and everything, so I'm not surprised about that. Although things shouldn't be too different.

Finally, I'm not sure whether or not the School will be having an open house considering a lot of its recruits are scattered all across Canada. However, like Joe said, I'm sure we could get some current students to speak with you if you came up. One of the best things about NPSIA is the community here. Everyone is willing to help each other out and it really is almost like a family. The alumni network included... there are a lot of high profile alumni (former Ambassadors, policy makers, etc) who have been involved and giving advice to current students and having that network available to you is invaluable. My biggest advice to you all is network the hell out of your time here - there are a lot of impressive people who will be coming in with you and who have been here and they will be there when you need it!

Thanks! I spoke too soon...in case anyone else is still waiting to hear something, Tabbatha just wrote back and said I'd have a final decision on my application by the end of the month. Maybe there's still hope...

Tough to say, iamnicole... I think Tabbatha and Norean try to respond as soon as they have available information, so fingers crossed that you find out (positively!) soon!

I don't know... you can't very well change your statement of interest at this point.

Are you attending the open house tomorrow?

Perhaps I am confused, does the acronym mean person of interest? Thus my thought process would be that several of you have emailed individual professors to lobby about your shared interests :D

Sadly no since I live in the United States. However receiving the email is a good omen. I never received any emails from Carleton so... :D

@Rumcajs, Perhaps I'm completely naive, I actually didn't reach out to a single professor there if it makes you feel better. I gleaned all my information from various websites in determining fit and spoke with a past student after I'd applied. My first contact with the professors will be once I'm actually in!

I didn't know that reaching out to POIs was a big thing until I started reading these boards, and am still not entirely sure that it's something a lot of people do at NPSIA - perhaps that's something the others can speak more towards!

Thanks! I spoke too soon...in case anyone else is still waiting to hear something, Tabbatha just wrote back and said I'd have a final decision on my application by the end of the month. Maybe there's still hope...

Thanks Nicole, I was thinking of emailing but I guess I'll just continue to wait :(  

Perhaps I am confused, does the acronym mean person of interest? Thus my thought process would be that several of you have emailed individual professors to lobby about your shared interests :D

Yes, but the idea is that you establish the relationship beforehand so that you can speak about it in your statement of interest. If you can say in your statment that you spoke to Dr. So-and-so and that s/he has expressed interest in supervising your graduate research, this can work in your favour when it comes time for admission. I would think that contacting them after the application deadline would have significantly less impact.

I think this practice is less prevalent for professional programs than for academic ones. I know many people have been admitted to NPSIA and GSPIA without making prior contact with faculty. At the same time, whatever you can do to help your cause is worthwhile, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by thunderchunky

Thanks for the update.  I'm emailed Tabbatha yesterday and haven't heard back yet, but your post gives me a little hope.

Another update for you guys in the line of statuses to expect... At some point between leaving work and getting home, my application status changed to "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs". I'm hoping that since I got allocated a cluster today while it said "Review in progress by department" that all the details are now ironed out, and the official offer will come out from the FGPA shortly!

What a drawn out process... Looking forward to final results (...and really curious to know what the new clusters they came up with are...)!

Last status change. :) "Decision made by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs: Application Approved".

Aaaaaaaaand I've accepted. Finally!

Hope to see all of you there in September! Wishing you nothing but the best with speedy and positive results!

Hello all, like Kdav (congrats!), I received an e-mail yesterday accepting me to the program in the Conflict Resolution cluster :). I also received funding, which one can find if you look at the admissions section (the same place where you saw "Recommended for Assessment"). In that very place you have information on funding, a personal acceptance letter, and a place where you can accept or refuse their offer. It's a big decision, as I was accepted in two other Master's programs, but I'll make my final decision this coming weekend.

Best of luck everyone!! :)

-CC

Edited by Cybercollector

I was really hoping to hear something by today! Oh well, I guess I get to wait through another long weekend.... 

Honestly, this stupid grad school application stuff is making me dread the weekends. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy. :-D

Thanks, Blake! Super curious. It seems like all of us are in different ones so far, so it's interesting getting a sense of the new world order, so to speak haha.

@rmrda - Mine did too... Probably still does... Hahaha, whatever, all of us are going through the same thing! Best wishes for speedy results. :)