NPSIA Fall 2013 Applicants

kdav

@Blake091, did you ever end up hearing anything back about those cluster changes?

Yes! She just responded this morning: 

"

NPSIA  has reformatted the program and clusters to better suit  the needs of the students.  I will be sending an email to all admitted students  later this week outlining the changes.   HSD has changed to DPP and while the names are not similar, the same classes will be available with a few additional courses."

Hey everyone, I finally got updated to "review in progress by department" after getting that e-mail of being recommended for admission. I was starting to think it was a mistake! My cluster is international development policy -- I suppose that is the revamped version of international dimensions of development?

Hey guys! After weeks of being "review in progress by department" my status just changed to "recommended for assessment"- probably happened sometime between 3pm and now!!!! Very happy to finally see a change, whether for good or bad at this point haha.

It's funny how ours kind of changed in opposite ways as mine went from  "Recommended for Assessment" to "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs." 

I swear they are just arbitrarily changing our statuses to give us hope :P 

I'm probably (like 80% at the moment) going to be declining my offer in favour of the Master's of Strategic Studies at the University of Calgary.

But congrats to everyone that got in! 

The lack of funding / International Development stream is what swayed me to consider my other options. 

Best of Luck everyone! 

Thanks guys! This is so surreal. I really thought I was going to be waitlisted. I am soo happy I waited till this afternoon to pay my deposit at Queen's. I saved myself $300! 

I am rooting for you @iamnicole and anyone else still waiting. I hope this gives you hope that they are definitely still assessing applicants!! :-)

To those who are still waiting for a response (like me), I just spoke to Tabbatha and she said she's aiming to have admission offers out by the end of this week, or early next week at the latest! Good luck, and congrats to everyone else who got in :)

Edited by BondAir

Nice, congrats @rmrda!

@iamnicole, hopefully you find out soon and will be joining us, as well!

@Blake091, sorry to hear you're most likely not going to be in Ottawa in the fall, but based on the other thread, it seems like UofC would be great fit for you. Funding makes a huge difference, too!

Congrats to everyone who received offers... and good luck to those still waiting! There are always very high quality applicants and getting in is nothing to sneeze at.

That being said, for those who plan to accept their offers, feel free to join our community on fb right away; I'm sure you're all very excited! https://www.facebook.com/groups/NPSIA1213/

For those of you in Ottawa or are planning on visiting, we are having a private end of the year party on the 5th in the Market and would love to have you there. It would be a good opportunity for you to get to know some of the current students and ask the many questions that I'm sure you have. For details, feel free to pm me!

Edited by Skip

My status just changed from review in progress to recommended for assessment. What does this mean? is that a good thing or a bad thing?

As far as I know it means you have met the minimum requirements and the department will eventually decide whether or not to recommend you for admission.

Mine went through the following sequence:

January 31: Preliminary review required

February 14: Review in progress by department

February 28-ish: Recommended for assessment

March 18: Received email from department informing me of unofficial acceptance, status remained at "recommended for assessment"

March 22: Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs

March 25: Decision made by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs: Application Approved

As far as I know it means you have met the minimum requirements and the department will eventually decide whether or not to recommend you for admission.

Mine went through the following sequence:

January 31: Preliminary review required

February 14: Review in progress by department

February 28-ish: Recommended for assessment

March 18: Received email from department informing me of unofficial acceptance, status remained at "recommended for assessment"

March 22: Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs

March 25: Decision made by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs: Application Approved

Mine went through the exact same process (give or take a day or two) EXCEPT that I never received an email on March 18th, I think they just thought it would be more fun if I was in the dark for another week ;-) 

Good luck! :-)

Congrats on the good news guys!

I called Tabbatha today and didn't receive as good news.  My application has been put on "hold," which means I'm waitlisted.  I will not be in the first round of applications, but there is a chance, depending on how many people accept their offers, that I will be in the second round.  She could not say how far down the list I was, or what my odds were, because the list she had was just alphabetized.

As for waiting time, she said I would not hear by the end of this week, and it was unlikely that I would hear by the end of next week.  She said it would be in the following weeks.  Once the first round is complete, she will be sending an email to the hold applicants to let them know they have been waitlisted.  That doesn't mean that everyone who hasn't heard by now is waitlisted, as it seems they are still sorting through the applications in the first round.

Definitely disappointing news to hear, but at least I have an idea of where I stand now.

Congrats on the good news guys!

I called Tabbatha today and didn't receive as good news.  My application has been put on "hold," which means I'm waitlisted.  I will not be in the first round of applications, but there is a chance, depending on how many people accept their offers, that I will be in the second round.  She could not say how far down the list I was, or what my odds were, because the list she had was just alphabetized.

As for waiting time, she said I would not hear by the end of this week, and it was unlikely that I would hear by the end of next week.  She said it would be in the following weeks.  Once the first round is complete, she will be sending an email to the hold applicants to let them know they have been waitlisted.  That doesn't mean that everyone who hasn't heard by now is waitlisted, as it seems they are still sorting through the applications in the first round.

Definitely disappointing news to hear, but at least I have an idea of where I stand now.

what is your status on carleton central? 

"Review in progress by department."  It was "recommended for assessment" until about the 18th, and before that I can't remember.

Interesting called yesterday, the response given was "you will be receiving an update by the end of this week of whether you been wait-listed or will be placed on  hold. I was told that my application was not included in the first round but will be considered for second round".

Interesting called yesterday, the response given was "you will be receiving an update by the end of this week of whether you been wait-listed or will be placed on  hold. I was told that my application was not included in the first round but will be considered for second round".

That makes sense with what I was told.  I think they have put people on hold because they did not make the first round (what I was also told), and they will re-review them once they see how many open seats they have in the second round. 

She just looked up my name and saw it right away, but they may still be reviewing other people.