Poll to see what people are using to make their decision

epsilon

Decision Factors!  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your top criteria for making this decision!

• Program/Department Rank
    • Overall Institution Rank/Reputation
    • Great Research fit with 1 PI
    • Pretty Good Resarch fit with several PIs
    • Course Work Requirements
    • Funding/stipend
    • TA/RA Requirements
    • Placement rates for postdocs/Industry
    • Welcoming and happy seeming department

I cheated and I voted for four things, but I think great research fit (and personality fit) with one PI was the most important thing for me.  It's a bonus if there is a second PI, but unlike some types of geology (coughcough stableisotopegeochemistry cough) most departments have at most two people who do what I want to do.  Everything else (nice group, happy students, funding, etc) is important to me but not as important as fit.  And personality fit is as important to me as research fit at this point.  I only applied to places where the research was something I could throw my back into, now I want to make sure I'm working with someone I actually like.

I dont think I can narrow my criteria down to one. There were several things that hit the mark with my decision - fit with PI, full funding, overall program...plus it was the only school I got admitted to lolz.

Of course, but there's gonna be one or two things that you just can't do without, or are important enough that they put one program above another. For me, institutional rankings and even department rankings were negligible, along with stipend (although all offers are funded w/stipend in my field). I am having to make the choice between 2 schools, one with one really groundbreaking prof and the other with several good ones. I see myself going with the several.

Plus, looks like people voted for a little over 4 of the choices on average, so far.

I have a husband and 2 kids, so location and funding are top of my list unfortunately. I can't even consider a school if it doesn't provide good funding and is in a good location for husbands work and kids' schools. Once that is sorted, post grad placements is pretty important to me, as well as department fit. This year I only applied to one school, but if I don't make it in and we decide that I will apply elsewhere, those will be my first considering factors.

i'm really surprised by how many people consider rank. it doesn't matter too much in my field of study, though, and it barely matters to me; i have such odd interests that research fit is priority numero uno for me, followed by cost, lab resources, and "mesh" with the place and people.

For me, the most important two things would be: fit with PI and him agreeing to work with me, and getting funding (I can not join a program without being funded.). I was surprised to see so many people voting for 'Pretty Good Research fit with several PIs'. I personally do not see why that matters, because in the end I would be working with one PI and this decision is taken prior to joining in most places for the doctoral program (except in places like MIT i think).

For me, the most important two things would be: fit with PI and him agreeing to work with me, and getting funding (I can not join a program without being funded.). I was surprised to see so many people voting for 'Pretty Good Research fit with several PIs'. I personally do not see why that matters, because in the end I would be working with one PI and this decision is taken prior to joining in most places for the doctoral program (except in places like MIT i think).

Maybe that depends on the field.  B/c in  a number of fields, you're acceepted to the department and you get your advisor later.  You'll certainly have POIs beforehand, but there's no guarantee that you'll get your #1 for any number of reasons.  So, that's why a lot of ppl think a good fit with ~3 profs is better than just one.

I"m sortof surprised that stipend out-ranks research fit and the atmosphere of the department. Yes, we all need money, but I'd rather poor and working in a department where I'm comfortable with everyone and where there are professors doing things I find interesting! I guess it varies by field, though as most programs in my field fund their students. It is just a question of how much they are funded.

I guess that makes me feel like people pick programs based on how much they will make, but hopefully people are selecting that option more to say they want programs that fund their students rather than a ton of money.

I"m sortof surprised that stipend out-ranks research fit and the atmosphere of the department. Yes, we all need money, but I'd rather poor and working in a department where I'm comfortable with everyone and where there are professors doing things I find interesting! I guess it varies by field, though as most programs in my field fund their students. It is just a question of how much they are funded.

I guess that makes me feel like people pick programs based on how much they will make, but hopefully people are selecting that option more to say they want programs that fund their students rather than a ton of money.

Insecure funding (or a very small stipend that basically means you'll have to live paycheck to paycheck) can easily be just as stressful as a toxic department or a lack of research fit.

Insecure funding (or a very small stipend that basically means you'll have to live paycheck to paycheck) can easily be just as stressful as a toxic department or a lack of research fit.

Right. And that was a new thought for me since my programs all make sure that you have enough to live in the area. I feel really bad for students outside of this field trying to hack it. :(

There are some stipends in the sciences that are impossible to stretch in the areas that the school is located. Stipend and POI are most important for me. I realized during this process that the TA requirement is just something that I don't want to deal with, so I liked programs that did not require TA'ing for the stipend.

I also cheated and voted for two - Funding and Research. I just can't afford to go to school w/o significant funding, so that's just the way it is. But aside from that, my goal for school is to feed and develop my research interests... I couldn't imagine there being a more significant factor for making a decision.

I chose placement, location, and program rank (which actually isn't incredibly important to me aside from the off-chance that I'll go for a PhD).

Funding hasn't really been on my radar since I'm not expecting much or any as an out-of-fielder accepted into competitive SLP professional programs.

• 3 weeks later...

1) Research fit with 1 PI... I'm already working in a fairly tight specialization, which most schools only have 1 good fit to, and I plan to continue this route.

2) Funding... My girlfriend (possible future fiancée) will be moving with me but I keeping the lights on are very important!

3) Location... After living in New England for 4.5 years, I need to be someplace warmer!

I think "funding" ended up a bit too vague:

• I wouldn't care if say one school gives 29k and another gives 31k. 10k over 5 years, just not enough money to be relevant for something like this. In this sense, funding is unimportant to me.
  • If I get an admit with no funding, that's basically a rejection. I'm broke, I can't afford it. In this sense, funding is make or break.
  • All the programs I am actually applying to guarantee funding with admission. So, it's irrelevant.

Also, because lists are nice, here's my priority order:

1. Program/Department Rank
  2. Pretty Good Resarch fit with several PIs
  3. Great Research fit with 1 PI
  4. Welcoming and happy seeming department
  5. Placement rates for postdocs/Industry
  6. Course Work Requirements
  7. TA/RA Requirements
  8. Location
  9. Funding/stipend
  10. Overall Institution Rank/Reputation

I would only pay attention to 10 if I couldn't get data on 1, and even then I'd pay very little attention to it. There's a huuuuge gap between 4 and 6, and 5 is right in the middle of it. 1-4 are tied, though I know I consider 2 more important than 3.

Any suggestions on ranking 1-4? 4 seems really important, but then what a department seems like and what it is like aren't necessarily the same. With 1, I know rankings are terrible, but I find it hard to abandon the notion that employers won't care about rankings. They are peer reputation rankings, after all.

On the one hand, when you look for a job, the important aspect would be your research and connections, and your actual school is a very small factor. On the other, the fact that a school is regarded as good by peers can be interpreted as a higher chance that you'll develop yourself better there.

That's as far as I could get.