What surprised you the most going through this whole process?

budgie

Definitely how important visiting the school is.

Should have realized this sooner since it was basically the same in undergrad, but yeah this is definitely true. 

That, and realizing how important references are. I feel like above all, my references could have made or broke the application decision for me. The fact that there were a lot of professors/faculty members that my references knew helped a ton. 

I was actually very surprised about which programs I got into and which ones I didn't. I thought I would end up at a lower ranking program, but lots of those rejected me. Now I'm probably attending the highest ranked program that was on my list, and I still can't believe that. 

This, I got into about everything from the upper half of my list, but nothing from the lower half. I think this stems from the importance of research fit: My top choices were strong programs that were relevant to my interests, while my lower choices were places that I didn't have much of an affinity for but I applied to because they are statistically easier to get into. While I couldn't have know that things would go that way, something I likely did right was not bothering to apply to strong programs with which I did not have much of a match in research interests, I'm sure I would have been rejected from any of those.

What is surprising to me now is that everyone is saying, visiting school is very important and I can not visit the schools I have the chance to attend :D

But also how important is sending emails to PIs before application and also how your priorities can change during the process.

Also how annoying it can get when your PI or graduate assistants do not answer your emails after a while :D

Been on ~10 interviews for psych programs, about half of which were at R1 institutions. Have not met any ivy leaguers who are either (1) prospective candidates or (2) current PhD students. 

I work for a social science research firm and nearly all of my PhD, BA/BS, and MA/MS level colleagues have ivy league pedigrees.

Do they all become disgruntled with academia and head for the hills? If so, I don't blame them one bit because I have a few acceptances, and I already feel like doing the same. 

:)

Edited by TheMercySeat

I was surprised that I got into...anywhere.  

Background story:

I only have a 3.2, and a guidance counselor told me not to bother applying anywhere.  She said I wouldn't get in anywhere decent.  I went ahead and applied anyway.  And I guess all the undergraduate research paid off.  I think my grades were offset by the fact I was in ROTC for the first half of college... it was tricky to juggle a math-heavy major while in the program (I'm not a math whiz).

And here I am, 12 months after she told me not to bother applying, getting ready to go to Hopkins, the top school in my field :) so glad I didn't listen!

Your post makes me so happy. No the perfect candidate in my field, but worked my butt. Hoping the same comes true for me! Congratulations on your placement!! 

How much prior contact with POIs helped in my application process (and how incredibly receptive some were of me!).

How I was rejected from many of my "safety schools" (wouldn't really call them safety because I wouldn't apply anywhere I wasn't interested in attending, but you get the point), but accepted to schools that are ranked higher, top-15.

How one POI called one of my LOR writers to ask about me, my skills, etc. And, how uncomfortable I felt asking said LOR writer for details.

Edited by lxwllms

How important it is to ask multiple professors about different schools and POIs before contacting schools and POIs.  Getting inside scoops on how other programs and professors are perceived is important.

Also, rankings matter as far as the program should be on the ranking list to show it is recognized.  But 16th, 7th, and 2nd rankings do not mean you will do better going to the 2nd ranked if 16th ranked is doing the most innovative work in your area of interest. Or if within the last two years the top faculty at 2nd ranked all left for 15th ranked and brought their best academic progeny with them.  

I bump this. I went to high school across the street from Case Western Reserve University, was on the campus after school for YEARS going to their computer lab and library and never even had a notion to apply there. Went to the MSSA open house and was shocked about how much I actually liked the program. I even told them during the introductions that I had no intentions on EVER applying to Case because of me being there during high school :-)

Hopefully I will get in and they offer enough money for me to attend this fall :wacko:

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use