What surprised you the most going through this whole process?

budgie

I applied to a grad program at a school that rejected me for undergrad ... so I can feel 17-year-old me longing to get in and be validated finally! weird how long that stuff sticks with you. 

I know that feeling, although I applied to a different school at the same university that rejected me a several years ago. 

I applied to a grad program at a school that rejected me for undergrad ... so I can feel 17-year-old me longing to get in and be validated finally! weird how long that stuff sticks with you. 

I'm right there with you! Sadly, I think I'll just end up getting rejected by the same school again hahah I guess there is always the PhD app in two years. 

I was surprised that one of my programs required LORs be sent directly to the department... through the regular mail. I also thought it was weird how disorganized that particular department's application process was. 

That is archaic.  I wouldn't trust any of my LORs to get to the program within a month of application deadlines if they had to print and mail them.  

That is archaic.  I wouldn't trust any of my LORs to get to the program within a month of application deadlines if they had to print and mail them.  

I was definitely concerned about that so I emailed the department and they confirmed that they received all of my LORs. 

I feel the same (this school for me was UC Berkeley). I applied initially during my senior year of high school as a math major. Rejection. With time, my interests changed and I soon became a chemistry major. During my sophomore year in college, I applied to transfer to UC Berkeley along with 2 other schools. I got into those 2 other schools, but I was rejected by UC Berkeley once again. (I ended up staying my current university in the end) Now during my senior year of college, I applied to UC Berkeley in addition to my other 4 schools for my PhD in Chemistry... and what do you know, I got in! It only took 2 rejections before getting in (I guess the 3rd time really is the charm)

What surprises me is that despite the fact that UC Berkeley is one of the top programs for Chemistry, I'm feeling reluctant to attend. This grudge against them just built up over the past 4 years for rejecting me twice (which shouldn't be the case, but I'm feeling it!). 

I feel the same (this school for me was UC Berkeley). I applied initially during my senior year of high school as a math major. Rejection. With time, my interests changed and I soon became a chemistry major. During my sophomore year in college, I applied to transfer to UC Berkeley along with 2 other schools. I got into those 2 other schools, but I was rejected by UC Berkeley once again. (I ended up staying my current university in the end) Now during my senior year of college, I applied to UC Berkeley in addition to my other 4 schools for my PhD in Chemistry... and what do you know, I got in! It only took 2 rejections before getting in (I guess the 3rd time really is the charm)

What surprises me is that despite the fact that UC Berkeley is one of the top programs for Chemistry, I'm feeling reluctant to attend. This grudge against them just built up over the past 4 years for rejecting me twice (which shouldn't be the case, but I'm feeling it!). 

Stanford is the only school I applied to for both undergrad and grad school, and they rejected me both times. My parents keep joking I'll end up working there. (I feel a grudge building, too, but I could get over it for a job!)

There were a few things.

1.) I was surprised by some of the negativity.

2.) I was surprised by how many students applied to 10+ schools. (This was probably a stupid thing on my part, but WOW, that's a lot of money!!*^^* )

3.) I was surprised at how little time I spent on grad cafe, after submission of documents. I started out strong at first, thinking it would help me to gauge when responses were coming in. But 2 months is a long time to stare at empty screens..I find myself on here more frequently, now, now that I have my results (more helpful information, instead of the aimless waiting).

And lastly, 4.) I was surprised at my emotion, when I knew what school I was going to choose. Two months prior? I never would have guessed!

Edited by angel_kaye13

I'm surprised how different schools have managed to become my top school, and the process is not even close to being over yet, since I have one visit at the beginning of April.

Basically, I'd imagine myself being at those places and gearing my research more towards what they do there, since I'm still finishing up my MA and I have research projects to do for my various classes.

I've only visited one place so far, and I totally agree with people that said visiting makes a huge difference because I'm now completely in love with the place.

I'm surprised at how distracting the waiting game has been, in terms of getting my current coursework done. Way more distracting than putting together my materials and applying. I'm pretty disappointed in how I've been doing this semester, but also senioritis tells me not to care anymore.

How little my low-ish grade, bad subject GRE score, and lack of publications mattered in the end. Might have affected my results in the high-ranking fancy schools- stanford, for example- but I got the school I wanted anyway.

I also kind of hate how I'm beginning to treat my last year as a means to an end. This sucks. 

I was surprised that one of my programs required LORs be sent directly to the department... through the regular mail. I also thought it was weird how disorganized that particular department's application process was. 

Ha!  Yeah, one of my potential programs still used a paper application that had to be mailed via snail mail (no option for online application and emailing the form was a big fat no).  This also meant that the LOR form was paper-based, and also required a submittal through the mail.  

I ultimately did not apply because of the LOR forms.  

I also applied to a program at a school that rejected me, twice; once for a freshman admit then again as a transfer.  Another program I applied to I also applied to as a transfer student during undergrad and was not only accepted into the school but also into the major (same department).  I ended up going elsewhere.  Considering that they accepted me as a transfer student at a time when I had far less credentials than I do now, I was so tempted to write in my SOP, "Well, you guys accepted me as an undergraduate transfer student..."

Edited by Crucial BBQ

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised by how important visits are... some schools are terrible at keeping websites updated. 

Yeah, visiting completely changed my opinion of one school because of this... it went from my top choice to pretty much guaranteed that I'll decline their offer.

I'm also surprised by how much I learned about myself in this process.

I am surprised about how much of my life waiting, checking, and dreaming has taken over my daily life. I currently have a decent job as a school administrator but all I can think about is dumping it to get my PhD in order to change the system of education. 

I wait wondering if I did enough, worked hard enough, had enough people read my work to ensure it was the best it could be. 

The process makes me emotional . . . very unexpected. 

I am surprised on how a supervisor's support can change your chances.

So, a bit of statistics on international admissions at one program. 40 international students apply and only 3 are accepted. That's less than 10% chance. However, admission is contingent on a supervisor's nomination. 5 students are typically nominated by their chosen supervisors. Since I know that my POI has nominated me (I interned at his lab last summer and did very well there) my chances shot up to about 60%.

That's huge. I am so glad that I've emailed professors before applying to the program.

It's also funny that the POI and I did not spend so much effort into this particular program because we thought we had a better shot at another program (same university). I won't know until tomorrow what my results are, but it looks like we are wrong!

I can't really go visit so I hope I don't completely change my mind when I get there :CCC

The only school that really invited for in person interviews that I applied to was one and i really felt like not going was going to hurt my chances, but I just can't do it....

I was surprised most that I received acceptances. I was told that I wouldn't get in to any of the schools I chose to apply too by faculty at my current school (though one faculty member was supportive). I guess they didn't realize the amount of time I put into hand selecting the programs, revising my statement of purpose, etc...

Edited by twentysix

I was actually very surprised about which programs I got into and which ones I didn't. I thought I would end up at a lower ranking program, but lots of those rejected me. Now I'm probably attending the highest ranked program that was on my list, and I still can't believe that. I think I figured out how this happened though - two of my former PIs are friends with faculty there. I wasn't aware of this until the accepted students day. Connections are important!

What really surprised me was the missing IELTS score for MIT. 

I have triple checked the score status from the IELTS testing center. However, MIT just did not get it and ignored all my checking email. 

I got an 'incomplete application' even if I was into the second round. Nothing more surprising or shocking than this. 

Just like a well-prepared athlete who is injured before the final and losses. 

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use