What surprised you the most going through this whole process?

budgie

It surprised me just how important undergrad institution and famous recommenders are. Everyone stressed the subject GRE but no one mentions the fact that it tends to be more important for those who go to a lesser known institution (at least in my field). I was surprised how I got into top-5 schools in spite of an awful subject GRE, and how my friends with some pretty bad grades and GRE writing scores got in because they had famous recommenders. 

I was surprised that what I considered a "safety school" was the first to reject me and my top choice school- the one I thought out of reach was the first school to send me an offer! Indeed, nothing is impossible ;)

I also was surprised how location can be a factor in my decision. And I wish I spent a longer time studying for the GRE!

How unorganized they are with notifying people of acceptances and funding. They seem to do it with no rhyme or reason. With getting into undergrad it was easy. They would just mail an acceptance letter that had the funding information in the same letter, now they wait weeks later. It's ridiculous. 

I had the same reaction as well. It would seem that many professors aren't interested in talking unless you've been accepted to their program. Most of the email responses I received were along the lines of: admission decisions are made by a committee, not me...talk to me later if you've been accepted.

The thing about emailing professors is that its not really for them, its for you. How do you know if you are a good fit for the lab without talking to them first? How do you know that they have the sort of mentoring style that you are looking for? I would not apply to a place where the POI didnt respond because it may just be a waste of an application fee and I certainly know that a professor who ignores students isnt going to the sort of mentor who I want.

I think that if a POI doesnt respond then he is neutraly interested in your application, so if you get in then he will think about talking to you but doesnt really care. If I POI sees your experience and thinks that it is exactly what he needs in the lab then he would definitely respond because he would want to make sure you apply to his program and are accepted. I also wouldnt want to go to a school where the professor isnt that interested in my application. Idk those are my thoughts... I need to "interview" professors before I spend hundereds of dollars applying to work with them.

@astroyogi,

Odd. I used to believe that a professor's recognition in his field will yield a better (not stronger, since this is based on what the letter is saying) LOR; however since my time on the gradcafe, I heard it doesnt matter. If someone would like to add onto this discussion, I'd very much like to hear other opinions. 

@astroyogi,

Odd. I used to believe that a professor's recognition in his field will yield a better (not stronger, since this is based on what the letter is saying) LOR; however since my time on the gradcafe, I heard it doesnt matter. If someone would like to add onto this discussion, I'd very much like to hear other opinions. 

Maybe this is different field to field? 

What surprised me...

How much I enjoyed it. 

I remember making the decision to apply probably a little less than a year ago. Was a HUGE "if". Not expecting anything, "just putting it out there".  I enjoyed the process so much that I pray it's just the beginning. Every day I pray. I never imagined I could want this as badly as I have come to.

What surprised me...

How much my initial "rankings" changed as I went on interviews. I was certain UVA was my first choice, and that Delaware and Maryland were at the bottom of my list. My the PIs at UVA were allowed to take graduate students this year, and Delaware actually offered me admission! And then all of the California schools I applied to rejected me...

But I'm definitely the most surprised about how I'll be attending UW next year, which I never dreamed would happen.

I know this will probably sound stupid, but I was actually surprised by how difficult it is to get a grad assistant position. The way a lot of my mentors talked to me about the GA process in Higher Ed programs, they made it seem like they were so easy to get. Turns out not so much since I'm still looking for one...

I was surprised that the worst part of the entire process, for me, was just waiting. Between hitting "submit" on all my applications and hearing back from my programs, I was an absolute mess.

Also surprised just how fluid of a process it is. I was accepted to my dream program and then accepted to a similar program that was just on the edge of my radar. My dream program gave me little to no funding, but that second program offered me a research assistantship. Despite always thinking that I'd attend my dream program NO MATTER WHAT!!! I just couldn't swing it. It wouldn't make sense. I'm still a little bummed and I go back and forth, but I'm realizing just how great of a fit the program I'm headed to is. So excited!

I was surprised that the worst part of the entire process, for me, was just waiting. Between hitting "submit" on all my applications and hearing back from my programs, I was an absolute mess.

I was surprised by this too!  I feel like it's something no one warns you about.  Yes, getting all of your materials together and submitted on time is stressful.  But I found the feeling of helplessness that accompanied waiting to be far worse because there was nothing I could do but try to be patient.

I was surprised by how interested faculty were in my intended research topic/area of interest. I felt that my personal statement was the weak point of my application, but it turns out that it was perhaps the one thing that sealed the deal for at least 2 or 3 of my accepted schools. I think honesty in intended goals and clarity in expression in my statement helped my application many times over. Based on what one POI said to me and other faculty during an interview weekend, for example, I learned that some faculty can pull a lot from the statement (when they like it) that you didn't even realize was there! 

It surprised me how many students have done research before. I never even heard of research until about a year ago! On a visit day, I met a girl who had been doing research since high school. High school! I couldn't even fathom that.

I'm also surprised I got in despite my lack of research background. :P

I suppose I am the opposite.  I am surprised by how many people either don't do research or don't know that they should be doing research.  Then again, I considered the possibility of grad school way back in my first semester of undergrad.  So, I did some research into it, how to get in, and so on.  I knew since then that research was essential to the application process and began to look for and do anything and everything I could to help "pad" my application.  I suppose I am ultimately more surprised by those who apply to what is essentially a research degree without doing any research into graduate schools, graduate school admissions, and so on prior to applying.  

Let me try to surprise you both, PhDerp and Crucial BBQ. :P

I did my first research project in high school (first semester undergrad, which happened to be at the same time). I did another project a year later. Both were completely unrelated to my degree (astrophysics and marine biology, while I study CS). My undergrad thesis is my first relevant research experience. Therefore, I have no idea what I want to study in grad school. It was only last spring that applying to grad school abroad became an option for me. Prior to that, I had not actively sought to strengthen my application, since grad school in my country requires no research experience. So yeah, research since high school but I never did it for more than the fun of it.

I was kinda surprised at how unsurprising the process was. The schools I thought I would be admitted to I was admitted to. The weaknesses I felt my application had (not strong focus) were the weaknesses discussed during interviews. One of my professors high balled me a bit, the other low balled me a bit but overall everything was pretty expected. What a shame, I wish I hadn't asked a postdoc for my third letter (even though I love her and she probably knew me better that my other two) and I wish I had started studying earlier for the math GRE. Glad I didn't study for the regular GRE, what a joke

The school I've decided to attend was never on my "to apply to " list. My mother's company is headquartered in Nashville and she convinced me to apply since she was up for a corporate promotion. I've always been an east coast girl. Always will be, but Vanderbilt IGP is amazing. And due to her, I will be attending vanderbilt IGP. Sooooooo excited. It's almost like the universe said so. ....by the way, my mom declined the position before I accepted. I think my mom was my universal sign.

What surprised me, in a good day, the most is how different the interview was from what I have been told and what I have anticipated.  When I practiced with my boss and other people, they told me about all those "extreme" myths about interviews. And I know that they did that so that I would be ready for it just in case, but after having gone through it all, I think it was completely different.

I didn't have a chance to experience a group-interview style, so all I know is 30-35 min per person individual interview session.

I don't know if it was because I am from Japan, and many of my POI have been to Japan for conferences, but at lease 20% of the interview period was spent talking about their experience sight seeing in Japan :)  

Then we moved onto research interest, then time was up.

Also, as many people have said already, one of my top choices I applied to turned out to be "not so impressive at all" to me after the interview visit. And of course I was rejected, and I was happy about it.

It was weird feeling happy when I saw the rejection email.

BTW, I know it's kind of off topic, but I really enjoyed staying at many different hotels for interview visits.

Before I applied, one POI answered my (cold) email with his cell phone number and an invitation to call anytime. We ended up having a forty minute conversation.

Checking the Grad Cafe survey results didn't make letters or emails come any faster.

I asked out of the blue about a visit day, and a University is currently planning one for me, paying for the flight, and picking up accommodations. I'm glad I asked.

The Midwest looks surprisingly livable, and urban (I'm from a big city on the West Coast, I guess I had a "flyover" stereotype of the rest of the country).

I was surprised that even thought I KNEW I was applying to schools that were beyond my reach, it still hurt being rejected. Of course I was rejected, but it seems rejections still feels like...well, rejection. I really didn't think I'd take it so personally.

Completely agree. Even knowing that I applied to a school beyond my reach, rejection still stings.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use