What surprised you the most going through this whole process?

budgie

Has anyone faced this? I don't know whether I should be surprised, frustrated or just plain disappointed!

I am in a really weird situation, I got accepted into a program at an university, got my admit letter too through their portal. I had a few questions so emailed them and its more than a week they haven't responded! Earlier to that they would respond within a couple of days. Emailed them again for a response as well as asking for a Fee structure document to apply for education loan, but they just aren't responding! And it will take time to get the sanction order! I thought after they agree to sanction I'll mail the acceptance letter!

Or does this mean they have revoked admission, and hence are not responding? But they haven't informed me about it, very confused!

What do I do? The deadlines are approaching! Have to go through the visa process too! Any suggestion?

Edited by moonyDdl

When I applied to Illinois Institute of Technology last October, I paid 60 dollars application fee. What surprised me is that my classmates who applied to the same university in December weren't asked to pay application fee. What surprised me more is that even though I emailed them and tried to figure out why, they never responded, not a single word. I sent 3 emails in a week!

I'm surprised that in the US you don't need a Masters degree to get into a PhD program!  Most PhDs in my area, in Canada, require a thesis-based Masters degree in order to be able to apply.  Now, there are some students who start a Masters and, if they do well, apply for promotion to the PhD, so they never actually complete the Masters.  I'm just so surprised that the normal thing in the US seems to be undergrad to PhD!  It just seems so strange to me.

I was surprised how hard it was getting into an American school as a Canadian! I got into my top choice Canadian school that I thought I didn't have a chance at and rejected from American programs that were ranked much lower. 

I was surprised by how much my top choice program looked at me as an individual, not just an applicant with scores and stats. They really seemed most impressed with my interest and enthusiasm, with my weaknesses and strengths, my history and my SoP. I am absolutely sure other applicants had stats that were way higher, but failed to show their passion.

Edited by kaleisi

I was surprised by the fact that the only school that accepted me (not counting wait lists) was the top-ranked program on the list. Not that the other programs I applied to were easy to get into (they were all top 10 in my field), but it was literally the program I didn't even dare to hope of getting accepted by that accepted me. At all of the others where I actually thought I had a slightly better chance, I was rejected or put on the wait list. The two schools where I was wait listed were actually the NEXT two highest-ranked schools on my list, so I guess what I learned from this was … everything will happen the opposite of how you expect, so don't have any expectations? ;)

I was surprised by the massive help that having an "in" to a school had. My PI knows my supervisor from undergrad well, and another prof of mine very well, and their recommendations about me were crazy useful. The PI was talking to me like I was already working for him before I had even finished writing my application, and literally the day my final supporting document got into the school they sent me my acceptance letter. 

It all happened so quickly that I didn't even apply for any other schools. I made it into my top choice and had funding, under a fantastic supervisor, why would I bother putting myself through more grad apps?

Has anyone faced this? I don't know whether I should be surprised, frustrated or just plain disappointed!

I am in a really weird situation, I got accepted into a program at an university, got my admit letter too through their portal. I had a few questions so emailed them and its more than a week they haven't responded! Earlier to that they would respond within a couple of days. Emailed them again for a response as well as asking for a Fee structure document to apply for education loan, but they just aren't responding! And it will take time to get the sanction order! I thought after they agree to sanction I'll mail the acceptance letter!

Or does this mean they have revoked admission, and hence are not responding? But they haven't informed me about it, very confused!

What do I do? The deadlines are approaching! Have to go through the visa process too! Any suggestion?

If you still have this problem, you should create your own topic. It's not going to get noticed here, and it's off-topic. But I would pick up the phone and call them, you'll get a fast answer.

I'm surprised that in the US you don't need a Masters degree to get into a PhD program!  Most PhDs in my area, in Canada, require a thesis-based Masters degree in order to be able to apply.  Now, there are some students who start a Masters and, if they do well, apply for promotion to the PhD, so they never actually complete the Masters.  I'm just so surprised that the normal thing in the US seems to be undergrad to PhD!  It just seems so strange to me.

A lot of places will have a Masters/PhD program, where you do two years of graduate level classes before taking PhD candidacy exams. If you pass, you become a PhD student. 

I was surprised by how much my decision was based on how badly the program wanted me and not the other way around!

And application procedure-wise, it was an absolute nightmare. I thought my SOP wasn't good enough, my GPA was not high enough, I didn't do enough research about the universities, I applied to way too many ambitious ones, maybe I made a mistake in my Resume. The only thing that quelled my fears was my first admit. At least somebody thought I was good enough to get accept to their program.

How much, after I submitted my applicaiton and other materials, I wanted a career in acadamia. The wait, the uncertainty, the ambiguity, became even more real when the opportunity to not continue toward a doctoral degree became a true option. I would never ever wish the waiting process on anyone, even my worst enemy. Yet, the acceptance that later came with funding was the greatest news I have received in my life up until this point. (And trust me, there have been some great moments in my life.)

I think I was most surprised by the fact that I applied to a school (probably my second choice) with a December 1st deadline, and found out from my PI in February that I had been wait listed, and if I had other offers I should take them (talk about huge disappointment, but then again I never really expected to get in anywhere for whatever reason). Then, about a week ago, after hearing nothing for almost two months, the PI emailed me asking if I was still interested, I said sure since I hadn't made any decisions yet and was still waiting to hear back from my first choice anyways, and the next day he emailed me back saying that some of the faculty never intended to use their 'allotted' funded spots, he had talked to the department, and I ended up making the 'first cut' of applicants, full tuition waiver and 20k stipend. I think I'm still in shock. Crazy how things can change. I was also surprised how much said PI emailed me with enticing photos or stories in an effort to get me to accept the offer.

The biggest surprise I think was my disbelief when I saw the acceptance letter, especially since I know I didn't put forward my best application since one of my LOR's went on sabbatical a month early without telling me, and I ended up using an old coach since I couldn't find anyone else last minute. 

Having a good personal relationship with your PI can be the deal breaker or maker! 

On a side note- I usually emailed 2-3 PI's at each school I was interested in, and I was surprised that a lot of professors actually discuss who they get emails from with their colleagues, had one even say I came up over morning coffee (I emailed both profs, and one recommended me to the other- which I had already emailed anyways). A few of them emailed me back and said I heard you also emailed x professor, I think you two would be the perfect fit and maybe we could discuss cosupervising you. 

I was surprised by two things. First, that a program that was originally on the very bottom of my list when I first started applying ended up being my top choice after I visited them. It was the very last school I applied to and I only applied to them because I was able to apply for free. The second thing that surprised me was to see so many of my super talented friends not getting accepted (and in some cases not even interviewed) anywhere.

Here are some ways to look at it:  

1.  The majority of Ph.D. programs in the U.S. begin with 1 to 2 years of course work before the student sits for the qualifying exams.  

2.  In some programs students begin doing some research and/or lab rotations during the coursework phase. 

3.  In some programs students earn their Master's first even though they applied to Ph.D. programs.  Keep in mind that in the U.S. you are not a "Ph.D. student" until you pass your qualifying exams. 

4.  Some programs will allow students to go straight to the Ph.D. "phase" if you already possess a Master's and some will require students still take the two years of coursework even you already have a Master's.

5.  Some programs will allow students to sit for a Master's-level exit exam even if you do not currently possess a Master's degree.  If you pass you can bypass the Master's requirement. 

6.  Some programs will not admit students who currently possess a Ph.D. while some programs will. 

Also, typically in the U.S. a non-thesis Master's degree is considered a terminal degree. 

Whoops, the whole point of the above was to mention that some "Ph.D. students" earn their Master's first through the program and in some cases where the program does not confer the Master's degree first the student can still leave with a Master's if they fail the qualifying exams. 

The second thing that surprised me was to see so many of my super talented friends not getting accepted (and in some cases not even interviewed) anywhere.

^^^ This,this,this!

My friends applying for school this year are all in different subfields than me, so I know I didn't exactly "steal their spot" in any lab... But I feel guilty getting into a PhD program when one of my friends didn't, and he has a lot of research experience and has known what he wanted for a lot longer than I have. I know I got in with a lot of dumb luck... But I still feel bad. >_<

Also, don't bother saying "Don't feel bad!", because the feeling doesn't go away with reason. :P Heh.

What has surprised me the most is that April 15 isn't the end!!!

Two of my friends both just received fully funded offers off of waitlists AFTER April 15th!  I am so elated for them both!!

• 8 months later...

I'm surprised I even remember how to eat. All I've thought about is the grad school admissions process. 

Ahaha this is so me! Right now I'm waiting to hear back and I'm trying to keep my mind off of it because waiting is giving me crazy anxiety.  So all of my conversations go: "Hey how are you?" "Oh I'm just trying not to think about my grad school applications because the more I think about them the more I go crazy"....and then we start talking about grad apps.  It's a bit counterintuitive but I can't help it! 

I was surprised that I got into...anywhere.  

Background story:

I only have a 3.2, and a guidance counselor told me not to bother applying anywhere.  She said I wouldn't get in anywhere decent.  I went ahead and applied anyway.  And I guess all the undergraduate research paid off.  I think my grades were offset by the fact I was in ROTC for the first half of college... it was tricky to juggle a math-heavy major while in the program (I'm not a math whiz).

And here I am, 12 months after she told me not to bother applying, getting ready to go to Hopkins, the top school in my field :) so glad I didn't listen!

Old post I know...but it should be no ones place to tell anyone that they should not apply anywhere. Especially to not even the 'decent schools'. Perhaps, I could have applied to Hopkins. But, I let my mindset of super low GREs prohibit me from doing so. But, I'm taking my shot with George Washington and Tufts ;).  Anyway, hope you have been enjoying[ed?] your time at Hopkins. Congrats:)!

Edited by Guest

I'm surprised that I've heard nothing but negative news. I thought that I would at least get one interview invitation, even if I wasn't accepted, but so far this month has been one disappointment after another.

it's not over yet!!! Hang in there!

I was surprised by how much my top choice program looked at me as an individual, not just an applicant with scores and stats. They really seemed most impressed with my interest and enthusiasm, with my weaknesses and strengths, my history and my SoP. I am absolutely sure other applicants had stats that were way higher, but failed to show their passion.

I wish more programs were like this. Passion should definitely be key requirement.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use