Fall 2014 applications

antecedent

Just got a call from the secretary at one of my schools. They're not even LOOKING at applications until their non-funding deadline of March 15. I have another month before they even glance at my application. It's an okay school so I have no idea why their admissions board is so freaking late to the game. :/ So frustrated.

Edit: ALso why have a funding deadline in December if you're going to look at all of them at the same time?! Sometimes I think this process could use a HUGE overhaul.

Edited by wardword

Thank you!

From what I've learnt from my POI at Chicago (btw, our interview went splendidly well; I hope to be able to get to work with this person at some point even if I don't end up at Chicago), today they are having a departmental discussion about admissions. So, good luck to everyone who's applied there, keep your fingers crossed =)

Hi onz! Can I ask what's your area? Just a general concept like p-side/syntax, etc. Thanks!

Hi onz! Can I ask what's your area? Just a general concept like p-side/syntax, etc. Thanks!

I am a syntax/semantics type of person (swaying more towards semantics lately) + I have a keen interest in sign language linguistics.

Aaaah this is the week a couple of my top choice schools started notifying last year and I'm trying to keep it cool but I'm not doing a very good job of that.

Also, I still haven't heard back from the prof who said I 'should' be getting a call from my POI over a week ago. 

This is madness, you guys, madness!

Hi

Has anyone heard of any rejections from OSU/ Ohio State English, I see about 7 acceptances but no rejections, would I be right in thinking that they've got their quota already? Never been as obsessive over anything in my life as much as this. The waiting game is enough to turn me off applying forever.

Hi

Has anyone heard of any rejections from OSU/ Ohio State English, I see about 7 acceptances but no rejections, would I be right in thinking that they've got their quota already? Never been as obsessive over anything in my life as much as this. The waiting game is enough to turn me off applying forever.

Oh you mean OSU English.. Then I don't know. For linguistics the results were shown on the application website and were mailed to applicants days ago. Maybe you could check the website?

Good Luck!

Edited by longforit

I am a syntax/semantics type of person (swaying more towards semantics lately) + I have a keen interest in sign language linguistics.

Ah I thought you should be one of our P-guys based on the programs you applied!  Looks like you guys are still overwhelming ;)

You must be super good to receive so many interviews/offers. Good luck on Chicago and all the applications! :)

Aaaah this is the week a couple of my top choice schools started notifying last year and I'm trying to keep it cool but I'm not doing a very good job of that.

Also, I still haven't heard back from the prof who said I 'should' be getting a call from my POI over a week ago. 

This is madness, you guys, madness!

Me too!! Hang in there!

Hi folks! Is anyone here attending the UCSD Open House this week? Or the one at Brown (CLPS)? 

There's an open house this week for UCSD? FML. Guess that's a rejection.

Edited by antecedent

Sorry Antecedent!! :(    I recently got an email from their DGS about their open house, which should be this Friday (7th)... but I won't be able to make it...

I don't think it necessarily means it's a rejection, though, specially if you're not currently in the U.S. - maybe they just can't cover travel expenses for international flights!

Sorry Antecedent!! :(    I recently got an email from their DGS about their open house, which should be this Friday (7th)... but I won't be able to make it...

I don't think it necessarily means it's a rejection, though, specially if you're not currently in the U.S. - maybe they just can't cover travel expenses for international flights!

Is it only a day long? They may have not invited people outside of the U.S. in that case. Who knows! Watch me rationalize away my anxiety! 

Well Friday Feb 7th is my birthday so I'll just drink extra on that day.

Yeah it's only a day long!  I think it does make sense that they would not bring people from outside the country in this case.

Also, it usually takes them a long time to send out notices, so I'm sure this thing is just one of many steps before they make any decisions...

Me too!! Hang in there!

I am waiting for my POI to contact me... I had an intervirew with another professor on Sunday 26th, and he told my POI was going to skype last week for another interview... I am still waiting!!! I don't know how long should I wait until sending them a "remainder"-mail, ;)

In the meantime, tomorrow I have another interview! Wish me luck!

I am waiting for my POI to contact me... I had an intervirew with another professor on Sunday 26th, and he told my POI was going to skype last week for another interview... I am still waiting!!! I don't know how long should I wait until sending them a "remainder"-mail, ;)

In the meantime, tomorrow I have another interview! Wish me luck!

I am knocking on woods for you!

(I hope I didn't misuse the phrase...if I did, so sorry!)

I just got a rejection, and no where in the email or the subject line did it say what university it was from! I spent about 90 seconds rereading the email and frantically searching for some identifying information before figuring out who it was from! That is so mean!

It was UMass, which isn't a huge surprise. Still a bummer though. I should have specified that what I wanted this week was good news!

A decision has been made... I've been rejected at UMass :( They said that the department was not able to "recommend" my application to Graduate Admissions Office, because they received a lot of applications and, given financial issues, they could only recommend a few students. Let's hope it goes better with the others!

I just got a rejection, and no where in the email or the subject line did it say what university it was from! I spent about 90 seconds rereading the email and frantically searching for some identifying information before figuring out who it was from! That is so mean!

It was UMass, which isn't a huge surprise. Still a bummer though. I should have specified that what I wanted this week was good news!

It's their loss, my friend!  In 5 years or so, they're gonna come begging for us to teach there, ;)!