Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

I just submitted 2 of my apps for the same reason. Of course, I found a very minor (hopefully unnoticeable) grammatical error shortly after....

Ha, that always happens to me. I'll also be submitting for Maryland this week too, for the same reason. Just "finished" my Colorado SOP, on to Maryland! 

You know, this is my second year doing this, and I'm not sure if I feel better or worse (I got one admit w/o funding, but deferred to take a fellowship abroad). On the one hand, I've got a lot more experience, on the other, that will make it all the more painful if I'm not one of the lucky ones. Ah well.

I'm with you guys. It's my second time (last year effort resulted in another MA admission, so I opted for a year off), and I have just discovered that I have to submit my Boulder application sooner than I expected. 

Good luck!

I hate that. It always catches you unprepared/under-prepared (yep, I am not a first timer either). Though looking at it from the bright side, it kind of forces you to put together a file early on, so that you have a pretty good start on working on your apps for the other schools.

You know, this is my second year doing this, and I'm not sure if I feel better or worse (I got one admit w/o funding, but deferred to take a fellowship abroad). On the one hand, I've got a lot more experience, on the other, that will make it all the more painful if I'm not one of the lucky ones. Ah well.

Wait, so if you deferred last cycle, are you still holding that offer while applying to additional ones? :S

Wait, so if you deferred last cycle, are you still holding that offer while applying to additional ones? :S

I asked professors at the school and they said there were no ethical issues with applying to other schools in the meantime (rather than putting all my eggs in an unfunded basket). The deferred school will reconsider me for a financial package along with this year's applicants, so the only thing the deferment does is saves me the trouble of reapplying.

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack

Yeah if a school cannot offer you money there is nothing unethical about applying to other programs. There's nothing unethical about applying to other programs even when you are admitted and attending a program.

+1

I just submitted 2 of my apps for the same reason. Of course, I found a very minor (hopefully unnoticeable) grammatical error shortly after....

I wouldn't sweat it.

I've received an application essay that was a PDF of the draft version, complete with strikethroughs, replacements, and comments. All the comments were visible, and many were intensely self-critical.

I asked professors at the school and they said there were no ethical issues with applying to other schools in the meantime (rather than putting all my eggs in an unfunded basket).

Yeah if a school cannot offer you money there is nothing unethical about applying to other programs. There's nothing unethical about applying to other programs even when you are admitted and attending a program.

I'm confused. Why is this even a question?

Our job is to make you the best scholar we can make you. If you should be elsewhere, for funding reasons or intellectual reasons or any reasons at all, the faculty at your institution should support you to the best of their ability. Full stop. (It's only fair to let us try to talk you out of it!, but once you've made your decision, you deserve and should expect our full support.)

I'm confused. Why is this even a question?

Our job is to make you the best scholar we can make you. If you should be elsewhere, for funding reasons or intellectual reasons or any reasons at all, the faculty at your institution should support you to the best of their ability. Full stop. (It's only fair to let us try to talk you out of it!, but once you've made your decision, you deserve and should expect our full support.)

It was my experience last admissions cycle that the professors in general are very interested in our success - academically and financially - regardless of where we end up. Which shouldn't have been a surprise, given my relationship with professors at the undergraduate level. But then, of course, it becomes professors vs. the graduate schools (because the latter, it seems, is considerably more concerned with numbers, whether that's a good or bad thing).

It was my experience last admissions cycle that the professors in general are very interested in our success - academically and financially - regardless of where we end up. Which shouldn't have been a surprise, given my relationship with professors at the undergraduate level. But then, of course, it becomes professors vs. the graduate schools (because the latter, it seems, is considerably more concerned with numbers, whether that's a good or bad thing).

Yes. Deans get very worried about attrition rates. Frankly, so do applicants.

I wouldn't sweat it.

I've received an application essay that was a PDF of the draft version, complete with strikethroughs, replacements, and comments. All the comments were visible, and many were intensely self-critical.

Thank goodness all the comments I make on my own drafts are things like "good point", "fantastic", and "magnificent job".

Good luck in applications all! Best advice: don't look at this site again until at least March 1st - it will only drive you crazy. 

I told myself I wouldn't look at this site once I submit all my of applications because it is already driving me crazy, but I am not sure if I am capable of doing so.