Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

So continuing to screen calls would be no problem...but you should probably start memorizing relevant area codes.  ;)

This. Is. An. Awful. Idea.

I remember getting calls from odd phone numbers during classes or meetings, and under the table I'd look up the area codes, and if it could be one of the universities to which I had applied, I'd commence panicking until I could check my voicemail (which was usually a pre-recorded loan something or other haha). 

In any case, I highly doubt I will be getting phone calls, being across the ocean and all. If I do, I will be very surprised (especially since only about five people in this entire country have my phone number, aka I don't often receive phone calls). 

Although I prefer texts or e-mails as well, I always answer my phone for some bizarre reason. Call it curiosity.

I have a weird introverted fear of phone calls - but less from unknown numbers, and more from close friends. That is, I'm happy to answer short, cordial, professional calls. But I really need to be mentally prepared for long, friendly conversations... It drives my girlfriend crazy when I don't answer for friends or family (I always answer for her, of course, because... you know, hell on earth and all). 

I have a weird introverted fear of phone calls - but less from unknown numbers, and more from close friends. That is, I'm happy to answer short, cordial, professional calls. But I really need to be mentally prepared for long, friendly conversations... It drives my girlfriend crazy when I don't answer for friends or family (I always answer for her, of course, because... you know, hell on earth and all). 

Haha I totally know what you're talking about. Although for me it sadly extends to "short, cordial, professional calls" as well. An introvert inside of me is always moderately wary to commit some social faux pas, while a foreigner inside of me adds a dimension of language anxiety. Lovely cocktail. 

Although I'm guessing, the second one plays a much bigger role in the whole setting, as I generally am much more comfortable with any sorts of social interactions in my own culture.

I know what you mean... I'm now on (cumulative) month 7 in Germany, and I got a haircut for the first time ever here (the last time, I waited until I was in Ireland). I mean, how do you even describe a haircut in your native language (in my case, English)? So I found a photo on fb to show the man...which turned out to be good, since his German was more broken than mine (and he spoke Turkish almost exclusively). 

I've got another innocuous question.

If you get in, is it true that you get a phone call? I screen calls and usually don't pick up numbers I do not know. I guess I will come February. I guess people still obsessively check website in case they update first? 

Honestly, I would prefer an e-mail. 

You might, depending on the school.

Sorry to hear that you are not getting paid, but I'd imagine it has to be at least somewhat intriguing though, you know, being on the other side of the fence just a few years after you have gone through the process yourself. In any case, we appreciate the effort. 

Perhaps my comment sounded more negative about the process than I intended! Grad students are volunteers, and unlike with faculty, the work does not count towards some service requirement that's ostensibly part of the job. However, it's a fascinating process, and my impression is that grad students do less work than the faculty members. Indeed, there is generally a surplus of volunteers for committee spots. It's hard to volunteer for a position and then complain about getting it.

I'd definitely be interested in participating in something like that, but at the same time, that's a pretty significant time commitment, no? Hey, are you willing to divulge how you process applications, i.e. do you read them all entirely, or do you have your own kind of minimum standards warranting a closer look at the SOP and writing sample?

Soo...as expected kinda freaking out about my odds. 

Anyone has insights on Canadian schools? I was born there, would love to go back. Do they like/dislike/do not care about American students? 

I'm considering apply. I'm telling myself it is easier to get into Canadian schools. Am I wrong? Wishful thinking? 

Alright, maybe I won't be adding the 10th... I thought I might because I was offered a fee waiver, but working on it now, I'm not positive I fit with the department. I think if by some act of God (or gods) I got in, I'd be choosing it over the other programs for ranking, not research fit. And so the problem becomes, even if it were the only department to accept me, would it be right for me to attend? I certainly overlap with quite a few faculty members in many ways, but often it's region with this faculty member, theory with another, and while my secondary interests are well covered, my primary interests don't really enjoy much presence there.

And the game continues...

I'd definitely be interested in participating in something like that, but at the same time, that's a pretty significant time commitment, no? Hey, are you willing to divulge how you process applications, i.e. do you read them all entirely, or do you have your own kind of minimum standards warranting a closer look at the SOP and writing sample?

The implicit question here is whether we use GRE or GPA scores to whittle things down to a manageable number. We do not; a holistic review of each application is used from the very beginning. I don't feel it's my place to go much further in discussing the details than that, but as a general thing, I think people going into the admissions process are under the impression that there's a greater degree of regularity to this process than there appears to be. Committee members often have a lot of discretion to evaluate applications whichever way they want, which can vary substantially from committee member to committee member.

Edited by RWBG

The implicit question here is whether we use GRE or GPA scores to whittle things down to a manageable number. We do not; a holistic review of each application is used from the very beginning. I don't feel it's my place to go much further in discussing the details than that, but as a general thing, I think people going into the admissions process are under the impression that there's a greater degree of regularity to this process than there appears to be. Committee members often have a lot of discretion to evaluate applications whichever way they want, which can vary substantially from committee member to committee member.

Thanks for the insight. I'm not sure if it would make me feel better if there were more regularity or not, as an applicant. Of course, remove the applicant from the person, and I'm 100% without a doubt for the holistic approach. There are certain things numbers can't tell us - and at the same time, things they can. Just as the more subjective measures in the application process - SOP, writing sample - are limited (as one friend and first year in a poli sci program (and gradcafe alum) explained it, there's a lot of noise in the SOPs).

Thanks for the insight. I'm not sure if it would make me feel better if there were more regularity or not, as an applicant. Of course, remove the applicant from the person, and I'm 100% without a doubt for the holistic approach. There are certain things numbers can't tell us - and at the same time, things they can. Just as the more subjective measures in the application process - SOP, writing sample - are limited (as one friend and first year in a poli sci program (and gradcafe alum) explained it, there's a lot of noise in the SOPs).

As you suggest, every signal we have is noisy. So the best we can do is consider what kind of applicant a student is, and assign the most appropriate weightings to each signal conditional on that. This may entail putting a high weighting on the GRE Q score for a methodology applicant, and a low weighting on it for a theory applicant. This creates greater ex ante uncertainty about your likelihood of being admitted, but probably results in better ex post outcomes.

RWBG's description of the process is definitely increasing my affinity toward Michigan, if such a thing is possible. 

(I am sure Axelrod and Morrow are exchanging high fives for this impressive feat, you know, for being able to attract The Gnome of the inter-web to their school).

It's kind of funny that my closest adviser from undergrad, with whom I maintain a regular correspondence, and who has been telling me for three weeks that he's working on my recommendation, and even wrote me yesterday that he handed in the one that's already due, hasn't actually handed it in yet... And with five more deadlines today, I really hope he pulls through. I have enough to be nervous about. Funny thing is, he already wrote me recommendations last year (for my fellowship and grad apps), so it's just a matter of updating.

It's kind of funny that my closest adviser from undergrad, with whom I maintain a regular correspondence, and who has been telling me for three weeks that he's working on my recommendation, and even wrote me yesterday that he handed in the one that's already due, hasn't actually handed it in yet... And with five more deadlines today, I really hope he pulls through. I have enough to be nervous about. Funny thing is, he already wrote me recommendations last year (for my fellowship and grad apps), so it's just a matter of updating.

One of my letter writers was off gallivanting (and winning Mahjong tournaments). Caused me quite a lot of stress. Pulled through just yesterday. Submitting 5 apps in a few hours now!

One of my letter writers was off gallivanting (and winning Mahjong tournaments). Caused me quite a lot of stress. Pulled through just yesterday. Submitting 5 apps in a few hours now!

Oh, those silly academics...

I mean, I get it. He's in the middle of grading exams and everything. But I asked him back in September and have kept him updated on the whole process. Considering he told me "it has arrived" (whatever that means - it was in German: "das Gutachten hat dort angekommen") I can't help but wonder if he mailed it or e-mailed it? I wrote him this morning, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

Oh, those silly academics...

I mean, I get it. He's in the middle of grading exams and everything. But I asked him back in September and have kept him updated on the whole process. Considering he told me "it has arrived" (whatever that means - it was in German: "das Gutachten hat dort angekommen") I can't help but wonder if he mailed it or e-mailed it? I wrote him this morning, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

At least yours replied ;) I sent mine two emails on Friday, called his office, and finally sent him an email on his personal email id last night when I couldn't stand the stress anymore. He did it without replying to any of my emails... At least it is done.

Funny thing is, he already wrote me recommendations last year (for my fellowship and grad apps), so it's just a matter of updating.

Glad I am not the only one with these problems! One did not respond to my emails as well (I sent him a reminder 1 week prior to each "major" deadline). Chasing him down was a pain. They are all in now though. 

On the other end of the spectrum, I had one absolutely lovely letter writer that submitted each letter within 1 hour - 2 days of receiving a notification! Amazing! 

Glad I am not the only one with these problems! One did not respond to my emails as well (I sent him a reminder 1 week prior to each "major" deadline). Chasing him down was a pain. They are all in now though. 

On the other end of the spectrum, I had one absolutely lovely letter writer that submitted each letter within 1 hour - 2 days of receiving a notification! Amazing! 

It turns out that for the one he told me he handed in, he really thought he had, but the system rejected it because his pdf was too large. He took it off the official letter head to save space. In now.

Oh, those writers are great! I only brought one new LOR on board this season, and after he wrote it (about a week after I sent him all the papers I had written for him), he submitted letters as I sent the notifications to him. In the cases where I could have a fourth LOR, that writer was pretty good too. It was my two closest academic advisers who were really slacking. Oh well.

Everyone looking good to submit everything today?

I submitted all of my 12/15 and 12/16 applications a few days ago because I convinced myself that the entire internet would break if I waited until today.

Now that I'm done, what on Earth am I supposed to to with myself for two months? I keep opening my spreadsheet of schools, or revisiting the schools' websites to make sure (again) that the applications are complete.