Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

What do you think about reaching out to the program hosting the conference? I can see it being an issue, on the one hand, if they notice I turn it down (if I have to), and they may see my name among the accepted papers already? Not quite sure...

I can't imagine that being a problem at all. That is why you have the option to turn it down. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Not sure about every school. I know Princeton allows you to send in your first semester grades via the application website..

Princeton almost demands that you submit midyear grades. This is the wording on the website "An unofficial copy of your midyear grades from the college or university you are currently attending should be uploaded with your electronic application in the space provided. " (emphasis added)

Happy New Year everyone:)

I do have one question though: do we submit the mid-year grades? Some schools have such an optional item. I did not get an A for one class (theology), although I know it has little to do with my field. 

Edited by jazzrap

Hello! With the Ohio State result popping up yesterday, I am throwing my hat into the anxiety ring.

On mid-year grades, I didn't look closely at the instructions on this point because I am not currently a student, but I believe most of my schools explicitly stated that mid-year grades were required to be submitted once available.

Whoa! This early? If true, this should be some kind of a record. My spreadsheet of obsessiveness tells me that OSU did not start notifying before the very end of January in the past years, so I am a bit skeptical. Willing to be corrected though

Anyone want to claim the OSU acceptance?

Whoa! This early? If true, this should be some kind of a record. My spreadsheet of obsessiveness tells me that OSU did not start notifying before the very end of January in the past years, so I am a bit skeptical. Willing to be corrected though

Anyone want to claim the OSU acceptance?

My spreadsheet says the same. I hope this is not a troll. Not only will it be earlier than usual, but there is only one. They usually send acceptances out in groups. 

I have yet to start my stockpile of chocolate, ice cream, and wine that is supposed to get me through the end of January - April 15th time period. 

Hello! With the Ohio State result popping up yesterday, I am throwing my hat into the anxiety ring.

What?

ETA: Reported as spam.

Anxiety building up...

I'd imagine the OSU is a troll. We have sources that could confirm. 

Confirmed. Stand down red alert.

Edited by BFB

Seriously, don't sweat it. In the grand scheme of things, the number of people you mention, the number of pages, the font, etc., etc., will probably make zero difference. I mostly answer these questions because you folks ask them  ;) … not because the answers are make-or-break.

I would like to amend this statement. Single-spaced 9-point Arial Narrow with half-inch margins is a bit much.

What?

ETA: Reported as spam.

Confirmed. Stand down red alert.

Thanks so much for letting us know!!

I would like to amend this statement. Single-spaced 9-point Arial Narrow with half-inch margins is a bit much.

(What about 9-point comic sans? That's always OK, right?)

To try and keep spirits high during this recent run of low morale, I've been trying to come up with a comic sans XeTeX theme, but it's been hard to find the right math font to put with it. I'm half tempted to put all the math in wingdings since nobody reads the formal stuff anyway. I'll keep you guys apprised.

For applications to the circus, absolutely….

Has their deadline passed yet? ;)

Not sure whether I should bother submitting an application to the circus... I'm worried that it might be too much of a 'Reach' ;)

On a more serious note, things feel a bit more real now that we're on the 2014 side of the 2013/2014 school year.

Even though I know we shouldn't be hearing anything for at least two weeks (and historically none of my schools announce before Jan 31) I'm developing the obsessive checking disorder...

I believe UCLA, Madison, UCSD, and Columbia are all making offers before the 31st. For Columbia, I think a few lucky people will get phone calls before February, while most have to wait until the first or second week in February.   

Even though I know we shouldn't be hearing anything for at least two weeks (and historically none of my schools announce before Jan 31) I'm developing the obsessive checking disorder...

How do we cure this disease?  I fear I will be completely unproductive (surfing blogs and forums, checking emails, etc) until I get my admission notification!