Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Btw, with this whole 'introversion' thing, I have to say, seeing so many people encountering the same sort of problems that I am battling every day, makes me feel better.

P.S. I do think though that it's funny that all these people (including me) are going for an academic career, which presupposes teaching. )))

Audiences are easier than person to person interaction. I've had a lot of introverted professors and teachers in the past.

How's everyone holding up? Any good Netflix shows those looking for distractions should be aware of?

I'm delaying the final season of The West Wing with Revenge (guilty pleasure... so bad and yet oddly entertaining).

Surviving! Haven't tried much of West Wing, but I've been watching Sherlock (though now I have to wait another 2 years for the next season. F.), the Big Bang Theory, and a lot of Spanish soccer matches. February/March can't get here soon enough! 

I have an "Against all odds" story from my last cycle, two years ago, when I exclusively applied to MA programs:

Among others, I was applying to a reputable UK school for their 2-year MA program. This school required two short academic writing samples as part of the application process. I was pretty naive, and misread the instructions (it said: ... words max. without references), so I submitted two essays without any references whatsoever. I did add, in a footnote, that all the references (except direct quotes) had been deleted... I went back and reread the instructions a month after (don't remember why), and I realized that they likely meant that the wordcount did not include the references. But, at that point, it was too late to change anything, so  I had resigned myself to not getting accepted....

Long story short, I ended up getting in! Didn't attend, but it still was a WTF moment for me!

I wonder if our Emory or UIUC people will hear anything today/this week. Next week should bring with it some movement (and a lot of stress).

Has any Emory applicant been approached for interview? I have not been contacted yet. 

Edited by jazzrap

alles Gute zum Geburtstag, IRToni! :)

Happy birthday, IRToni! Germany is super awesome~ Very excited for FIFA!

I have an "Against all odds" story from my last cycle, two years ago, when I exclusively applied to MA programs:

Among others, I was applying to a reputable UK school for their 2-year MA program. This school required two short academic writing samples as part of the application process. I was pretty naive, and misread the instructions (it said: ... words max. without references), so I submitted two essays without any references whatsoever. I did add, in a footnote, that all the references (except direct quotes) had been deleted... I went back and reread the instructions a month after (don't remember why), and I realized that they likely meant that the wordcount did not include the references. But, at that point, it was too late to change anything, so  I had resigned myself to not getting accepted....

Long story short, I ended up getting in! Didn't attend, but it still was a WTF moment for me!

That is kind of amazing. I actually LOLed. 

Not to be a downer, but what is your "back-up plan" in case you don't receive any acceptances? 

I plan to quit my job and hike the appalachian trail. I've already convinced myself I am not going to get in anywhere and, thanks to my back-up plan, I'm ok with it / excited!!!

My Michigan application status shows as "incomplete," so I sent them a message to see if anything was missing. For anyone else who has applied to U Mich, here is the response:

"Thanks for your message. No materials are missing from your application. There seems to be an issue with our system and you, and seemingly a large number of applicants, are receiving this incomplete notice in error. I'm sorry for any confusion or anxiety it may have caused.

Applications are currently under review and we expect decisions to go out in February."

Love Orphan Black and sherlock, will start House of Cards today, wanted to wait for my apps to be completely done (UK schools with later deadlines), and since today is also my birthday, I'm hoping it will be really good. I also haven't watched Sherlock S3 yet, something else to look forward to!

What I'm the most terrified of is having to tell my recommenders who really went the extra mile that I did not get accepted anywhere... Hoping I won't have to do that!

Happy Birthday IRToni!! What will your birthday gift in March be? Perhaps an offer from Princeton PE?

BTW, I am a big fan of German soccer, although I am afraid of mentioning the name of my team. It seems to me that while this team is famous internationally, it gets resented by many domestic soccer fans <_<

Who wants to play: How many bottles of wine will TMCB drink in the next two and a half weeks? 4 weeks? 6 weeks? 

Person closest without going over gets a bottle of wine... or at least a picture of a bottle that I've drunk in their e-mail.

2 1/2 weeks : 3

4 weeks : 7

6 weeks : 12

Happy Birthday IRToni!! What will your birthday gift in March be? Perhaps an offer from Princeton PE?

BTW, I am a big fan of German soccer, although I am afraid of mentioning the name of my team. It seems to me that while this team is famous internationally, it gets resented by many domestic soccer fans <_<

Bayern-Muenchen?

My Michigan application status shows as "incomplete," so I sent them a message to see if anything was missing. For anyone else who has applied to U Mich, here is the response:

"Thanks for your message. No materials are missing from your application. There seems to be an issue with our system and you, and seemingly a large number of applicants, are receiving this incomplete notice in error. I'm sorry for any confusion or anxiety it may have caused.

Applications are currently under review and we expect decisions to go out in February."

Thank you for this, I hadn't even noticed that on their status page.

Another question-- does anything display for you under the "Other required application materials" section (under "verify credentials"), like personal statement or writing sample? Nothing is listed there for me, so please ease my sudden anxieties.

Hi everyone,

Anyone hear anything from Emory yet? Last year invitations to interview started appearing right about now... And second to the Sherlock suggestion... If only I hadn't binge watched GOT last year, that would have been perfect these days...

Thank you for this, I hadn't even noticed that on their status page.

Another question-- does anything display for you under the "Other required application materials" section (under "verify credentials"), like personal statement or writing sample? Nothing is listed there for me, so please ease my sudden anxieties.

Nope, I have nothing listed in that section either.

My Michigan app doesn't even have a status, complete or otherwise...

I'm hoping for an offer from Princeton PE, although they sent out offers in February last year, I think!

I'm not the biggest fan of German soccer/football, but also assume you like Bayern München? In Germany, a lot of people just think that they have too much money to compete on an even playing field with all the other teams, so utside of Bavaria, you won't find many fans. Hating Bayern München is definitely its own reward in Germany^^.

My Michigan app doesn't even have a status, complete or otherwise...

I'm hoping for an offer from Princeton PE, although they sent out offers in February last year, I think!

I'm not the biggest fan of German soccer/football, but also assume you like Bayern München? In Germany, a lot of people just think that they have too much money to compete on an even playing field with all the other teams, so utside of Bavaria, you won't find many fans. Hating Bayern München is definitely its own reward in Germany^^.

Hello IRToni,

Is Princeton PE your first choice?