Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

What does it mean when a DGS (who is your POI) states that they are processing applications and would like to speak with applicants, and then asks for your contact info and a good time to call?

...Would this be an informal interview, or is this a common application procedure?  :huh:

LOL that sounds like an informal interview.

I am currently googling "how to answer the phone if you think your POI is calling." Being an introvert is just terrible and it becomes worse under stress/anxiety/insecurity. 

*You think he/she is calling because you've memorized area codes. 

Edit: This is actually fairly pathetic on my part because I do work in an industry that requires daily interaction with strangers and I do talk a lot. 

At that point, I think there are few things you can say to change why they are calling. Would be fun to think of things you could say that might mess up an acceptance call :) 

You might actually be better off. There are a limited number of things that one can do in a hotel room, and one of them is read application files. If, as you say, your POI is reading them. Two of our committee members are halfway around the world and are participating fully, thanks to the magic of the Internet.

I hope so!

AHHHHHHHH!  Too much anxiety.

13 users are currently reading this topic.  That's a lot.

TMCB, are you reading Bear's post in results as implying that the OSU results aren't legit (because they don't interview)?

Well, it's been pointed out to me that maybe that was someone asking for Bear to confirm, so it might not mean anything. I was reading it as the interviews are probably informal (and not official adcom business). Hard to say whether they're actually happening, but I wouldn't be surprised. I have no reason to believe otherwise. 

I just saw this on the results page myself. While no GPA/GRE statistics were provided, it appears to be legitimate.

Although I didn't apply to Washington, I am struck by how fast this all seems to be happening.

Anyone want to lay claim to that post?

That was me. It was an informal interview.

"Informal" is what they called it. I'm not exactly sure what that means, but my sense is that it's just very early in the process and they're trying to learn a bit more than they can from a SOP about who we are as students and applicants. It's also a great opportunity to ask questions. My POI asked if I had any, and didn't seem to mind when I had a dozen.

Congratulations, that is wonderful!!  :D

I have an informal phone interview this evening as well, I guess (thanks TMCB for answering a question that in retrospection seems pretty stupid). Kind of nervous. Will post on the results page after it concludes.

I hope the lol was taken as intended! I just love how convinced we all are that nothing will go our way (well, when we're not convinced we'll get in everywhere) that when something good happens, we rationalize it as something normal or are afraid to apply positive terminology (like "interview"). :)

Business hours are over on both the East and West coast now... guess there's about to be a couple hours reprieve for the evening before anyone else hears anything. Man, this kind of makes me think of the Hunger Games, with the firing canons and whatnot. Although I suppose that'll be more apt once the decisions start rolling out in earnest...

Too late to expect a response from tOSU? Or do they typically send out the interview notifications in waves?

I think they do what they can, as fast as they can. So that they can go through the graduate school and get back to us quickly.  Given that some folks heard from them later in the day, I would imagine more phone calls will follow tomorrow. I hope Dr. B is getting the appreciation he deserves for the work he does there.