Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Sorry, I meant I was looking at previous years acceptances and some were by mail.

Likewise, apologies if my post was not clear and contributed to any heart attacks. I haven't heard from Wisconsin yet, but I too was stalking the mailbox after looking at last year's results. Back to clicking refresh on the email every two minutes, I guess...

... and yes, the MIT materials science situation is really rough. Very sorry to hear that happened to those folks...

... and yes, the MIT materials science situation is really rough. Very sorry to hear that happened to those folks...

I can't imagine how devastating that would be. Especially if you had already told your entire family and gotten totally hyped. 

It sucks. School is a reach but it still sucked to get an acceptance followed five minutes later by oops...

That's awful. :( Last year I got an acceptance, and the letter talked about the assistantship blah blah blah. That was on a Friday, but the wording was a little odd so I thought something must have been wrong and sent e-mails and called until finally, like on the Wednesday after, I got in touch with the administrative assistant, just to find out they weren't offering funding. I went through stages like this:

1.) OMG I'M IN!

2.) What about money?

3.) Well, it mentions this assistantship.

4.) Searches online and... OMG SO MUCH MONEY FOR ASSISTANTSHIPS!

5.) Tells family, friends and professors.

6.) Wait, the letter only mentions it in passing and offers no detail? Is this really for me?

7.) Writes e-mail...waits.

8.) Calls...waits.

9.) Calls again...waits.

10.) Calls AGAIN and finally finds out no money.

I never did tell a couple friends and professors there was no money. I was too disappointed. :( But then I moved to Germany for a year anyway. :P

For some reason the 15th has always stood in my mind as "start panicking day." Even though the 15th last year was equal to Monday earlier this week, and we've had similar amounts of action... I think it's because it's kind of the half way mark for the month.  :huh:

Should I be accepted anywhere now, I am going to be skeptical until I actually talk to a prof/dgs to confirm. 

I had a similar situation last year. Arguably my top choice school sent me a letter saying "Congratulations on ..."  The professor who sent it was my main POI at the school, so it seemed completely plausible. I was over the moon. Then I started noticing little errors in the letter regarding what I was supposed to be studying there. Turns out the professor had somehow accidentally sent that letter to all of their applicants. I suppose that sucks quite a bit for her, but it was no fun for me either. It was quickly followed by a retraction, and a rejection shortly thereafter haha. It wasn't funny at the time, though I suppose now it's quite humorous. 

Last night I dreamed that I got decisions from Chicago, Washington, Wisconsin, and one other school (can't remember which) all on the same day. One acceptance, three rejections, all via giant, USPS-delivered glossy postcards. The acceptance included funding, but after seeing it once, I couldn't find it again (thank you for that fleeting sense of win, MIT). I lingered on one rejection in particular: a professor who explained that "fit" was poor because I clearly didn't get her Star Wars jokes. After years of mocking my nerdiest friends' sci-fi posts on Facebook, this was one night in my own personal hell. It's amusing now, but the dream's tenor was very much about the strange feeling that I still don't understand what could make or break my application to any given place.

I'm not sure TV is enough of a distraction. Anyone have exhausting workout routine ideas to share?

Last night I dreamed that I got decisions from Chicago, Washington, Wisconsin, and one other school (can't remember which) all on the same day. One acceptance, three rejections, all via giant, USPS-delivered glossy postcards. The acceptance included funding, but after seeing it once, I couldn't find it again (thank you for that fleeting sense of win, MIT). I lingered on one rejection in particular: a professor who explained that "fit" was poor because I clearly didn't get her Star Wars jokes. After years of mocking my nerdiest friends' sci-fi posts on Facebook, this was one night in my own personal hell. It's amusing now, but the dream's tenor was very much about the strange feeling that I still don't understand what could make or break my application to any given place.

I'm not sure TV is enough of a distraction. Anyone have exhausting workout routine ideas to share?

I had similar dreams two nights ago... Woke up with an e-mail from Pitt, but it was just confirming that my application was complete (might have been because I updated my CV?). Killer...

Hahaha, I agree. TV isn't quite doing it, so I'm trying out p90x. Now I hurt physically even more than checking gradcafe daily hurts my soul :D

I don't like working out because it gives me too much time to think about things, which is bad because I over think and read into everything, so I just end up being more miserable than when I started.

I don't like working out because it gives me too much time to think about things, which is bad because I over think and read into everything, so I just end up being more miserable than when I started.

I think this is what I'll tell my gf when she asks if I joined the gym yet. :)

Congratulations to those who have been admitted!

Do you guys think that most schools will send an email once a decision has been made? I'm starting to feel that my compulsive application status checking is perhaps a bit irrational? :P

Big congrats to those who have been admitted!

Also for TV, in case anyone needs distraction and hasn't seen it yet, i'm pretty convinced The Wire is the best TV show ever. It's 5 seasons long, so it might even last you until your admissions decisions arrive. 

Do you guys think that most schools will send an email once a decision has been made? I'm starting to feel that my compulsive application status checking is perhaps a bit irrational? :P

I am waiting for an email to be sent (mostly because I applied to more than 10 schools, so checking each one individually would be crazy) or for someone to post an acceptance on gradcafe. Also, it is still too early to be doing that even though some are being interviewed/accepted.