Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

"Your application is currently being reviewed by the committee and we hope to notify all students with a final decision by early February."

This sentence put some pressure on. I think February is going to be a stressful month.

"Your application is currently being reviewed by the committee and we hope to notify all students with a final decision by early February."

This sentence put some pressure on. I think February is going to be a stressful month.

Which school was this?

And hear hear! I'm not sure if I should be thankful for the distraction or upset that I won't have access to much e-mail between Feb. 9-13 (I will be in another country for a conference...). Let's go with thankful for the distraction. I think.

Which school was this?

And hear hear! I'm not sure if I should be thankful for the distraction or upset that I won't have access to much e-mail between Feb. 9-13 (I will be in another country for a conference...). Let's go with thankful for the distraction. I think.

UC Davis (finally complete...)

I would say thankful. While I'm relatively calm (cause I can't do much otherwise anyway), I admit to compulsive email checking at least twice per day...

Longtime lurker here, thought I'd post to see if others had opinions on this: I had a phone call from an OSU POI earlier this week. I thought it went well, but at the end of the call he said that I should expect a decision in March but then also talked at length about how the acceptance and funding processes were different. After looking at the results page I see that the acceptances were released in late Jan and early Feb. Should I assume that he was trying to hint that my application would be denied? Really throws me off, we had (what I thought) was a great conversation. hopefully I'm just over analyzing, but now I keep refreshing the status page :/

Longtime lurker here, thought I'd post to see if others had opinions on this: I had a phone call from an OSU POI earlier this week. I thought it went well, but at the end of the call he said that I should expect a decision in March but then also talked at length about how the acceptance and funding processes were different. After looking at the results page I see that the acceptances were released in late Jan and early Feb. Should I assume that he was trying to hint that my application would be denied? Really throws me off, we had (what I thought) was a great conversation. hopefully I'm just over analyzing, but now I keep refreshing the status page :/

It could be that you're just overthinking it. At the very least, if he really was hinting at something, it doesn't necessarily have to mean a rejection. It could also be that you'll be waitlisted. Either way, hopefully you're just overthinking it. The fact that you received a call means they're quite interested in you. That's something to be optimistic about. Best of luck! 

It could be that you're just overthinking it. At the very least, if he really was hinting at something, it doesn't necessarily have to mean a rejection. It could also be that you'll be waitlisted. Either way, hopefully you're just overthinking it. The fact that you received a call means they're quite interested in you. That's something to be optimistic about. Best of luck! 

OSU doesn't (or at least didn't) do waitlists. 

Aah, well, that's what I get for sharing my ignorant opinion haha :) I didn't apply to OSU, so I wouldn't know. Either way, I'm not aware of any programs that interview people they aren't interested in, so it's still not all bad.

You people….   <_<

Correct. Some people will get called and won't get in. Some people won't get called (or emailed) but will get in. All in all, more of the people who got contacted will be admitted, it's true, but if you conclude that you're in (or out) because you got a call (or didn't), you're jumping the gun. You'll know when the Grad School sends out notifications.

Also, I think I've mentioned it before, but at OSU funding and acceptance are separate processes. We won't know the results of the fellowship competition until mid-to-late February. Sometimes people get disappointed or scared when they don't see any language about funding right away.

Hi strangepeace, welcome! See Professor Braumoeller's post about the OSU phone calls. The POI was just being honest. No decisions have been made yet! 

Hi strangepeace, welcome! See Professor Braumoeller's post about the OSU phone calls. The POI was just being honest. No decisions have been made yet! 

Ah okay, thanks TakeMyCoffeeBlack! Somehow I missed that post. Panic level downgraded from orange to yellow...

Ah okay, thanks TakeMyCoffeeBlack! Somehow I missed that post. Panic level downgraded from orange to yellow...

I'm kind of at a perpetual orange. I am desperate for information.

IR IR IR asked earlier what we'd be willing to do for admission. Well, for any admission committees members out there, I'd be willing to send you German chocolates and wines from the vineyards of Baden and the Rhine (my two favorite wine regions in the world)!

IR IR IR asked earlier what we'd be willing to do for admission. Well, for any admission committees members out there, I'd be willing to send you German chocolates and wines from the vineyards of Baden and the Rhine (my two favorite wine regions in the world)!

psh...if you are gonna bribe them, at least come up with something better than that! 

Mosel fan here, especially Karthauserhof and JJ Prum. With all due respect to the Burgundians, Germany makes the best white wines in the world.

Ah. For a split second there, I was distracted by the sensory memory of aged Riesling and forgot to obsess over the word "pending" at the Bucky application portal. I know what I'm drinking with dinner tonight!

Hmm...maybe I'm getting in with the wrong crowd. I want to be the professor of the people! 

I'll teach you how to brew a good ole American IPA!!!!!

Use a light touch with the hops. Americans always overdo it with the hops.

(I'm clearly aiming for The Lord Grantham Chair in beverage science)

Bummer.. well I will keep my fingers crossed in any case.  :unsure:

We traditionally don't do waitlists, in part because of the odd separation between admission and funding here. What we'll probably do this year is a waitlist for financial aid: as we get a better picture of our acceptances and declinations, we should know more about the funding that's available.

By the way, in case no one has said this: if you know you're going to turn a school down, do it as soon as humanly possible. And I don't mean April 14. Try to narrow down your list as much as you can by early April. There are other applicants who are waiting to find out whether they can be moved off of the waitlist or given funding, and the DGS can't do that until he/she has an accurate picture of the number of declinations. If everyone waits until April 15 to send in all acceptances/declinations, a lot of people will lose out on going to a school they would have preferred.

I know you folks are worried about a lot of things these days. This one is really a big deal.

I don't know if I would go to a regular class reunion in the future... but I think I'd do a gradcafe application cycle meetup once we're all in programs or on faculty! (Especially if mygrotianmoment brings some Riesling and mv0027 brings some of his brew.)

How quickly our angst turns this into a forum on alcohol. I wonder if the gradcafe creators realized what a killing they'd make on beer/wine/spirit advertising and coupons. Especially the coupons... 

It is the weekend all. I may actually stop looking at this forum come this afternoon. For my American brethren, may we enjoy a weekend full of football and "over hoppy" beers. For our European counterparts, enjoy your wine and Premier League. :)  

Mosel fan here, especially Karthauserhof and JJ Prum. With all due respect to the Burgundians, Germany makes the best white wines in the world.

Ah. For a split second there, I was distracted by the sensory memory of aged Riesling and forgot to obsess over the word "pending" at the Bucky application portal. I know what I'm drinking with dinner tonight!

I second that. 

I'm a red wine drinker, and the Rhine and, more importantly, Baden produce some of the world's finest reds.

psh...if you are gonna bribe them, at least come up with something better than that! 

I... I don't even know... There's something better than German chocolate and wine? Okay... I'll throw in Rauchbier from Bamberg?

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack

How quickly our angst turns this into a forum on alcohol. I wonder if the gradcafe creators realized what a killing they'd make on beer/wine/spirit advertising and coupons. Especially the coupons... 

It is the weekend all. I may actually stop looking at this forum come this afternoon. For my American brethren, may we enjoy a weekend full of football and "over hoppy" beers. For our European counterparts, enjoy your wine and Premier League. :)  

Throw in some Spanish La Liga and you have a deal