Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Hey guys, I still have not finished submitting all my applications yet. How does that sound?

I am actually working on a research proposal, which is 2,500 words, for a British University. While designing research, work plan and embedding it in theories is quite challenging and rewarding, the process itself brings the research project tantalisingly close. I feel that getting a rejection from this type of application is potentially worse: it becomes too real to let go.

Yes, it was me. Quite relieved, given the fact that I haven't a political science background. Thank you luckyducky!

Congrats optimistic! A great way to start!

I'm glad we're off to the races now... Though that doesn't make the waiting any easier as my efficiency in life is plummeting... Blast!

What type of things do people look for while conducting an interview for admission?

I wish I could say there's a systematic answer to that. Mostly, they want to get to know a candidate better.

But is it more true that colleges accept younger people with no clear POI than older people?

I have heard people say that in economics--that they prefer younger (below 25) applicants, but not sure how true this might be for political science too... 

We emphatically do not discriminate on the basis of age.

But is it more true that colleges accept younger people with no clear POI than older people?

I have heard people say that in economics--that they prefer younger (below 25) applicants, but not sure how true this might be for political science too... 

I don't think that is true for pol sci, though it could be trending that way.

For real quant heavy programs, they think that older candidates come with bad habits that are hard to break. Econ programs also don't want people that can think, they want people that can come up with new ways to calculate old elasticities. 

Again, I think pol sci is moving that way, but is balanced out by that fact that most younger candidates have no earthy idea what they are actually interested in / don't understand what it means to do a PhD. They tend to think it is just an extension of their undergrad.  When I did my masters, I knew several PhD that dropped out after a year or two because they were totally blind sided by what, in my opinion, was exactly what they signed up for. I think this comes out in the SOP. 

I'm 28 and my work experience is way more impressive than my academic experience. I'm counting on this helping my application significantly. 

I wish I could say there's a systematic answer to that. Mostly, they want to get to know a candidate better.

We emphatically do not discriminate on the basis of age.

I don't think that is true for pol sci, though it could be trending that way.

For real quant heavy programs, they think that older candidates come with bad habits that are hard to break. Econ programs also don't want people that can think, they want people that can come up with new ways to calculate old elasticities. 

Again, I think pol sci is moving that way, but is balanced out by that fact that most younger candidates have no earthy idea what they are actually interested in / don't understand what it means to do a PhD. They tend to think it is just an extension of their undergrad.  When I did my masters, I knew several PhD that dropped out after a year or two because they were totally blind sided by what, in my opinion, was exactly what they signed up for. I think this comes out in the SOP. 

I'm 28 and my work experience is way more impressive than my academic experience. I'm counting on this helping my application significantly.

I wrote to many universities over summer and they insisted that they do not discriminate on age. Most universities' average applicant age was 28. They also added that recently, in the past few years, there was a trend in political science that many people joined straight after college (perhaps due to the recession?). 

I am 29, and hold an undergraduate in engineering, so lots of wild cards in my application. Here's hoping that my work experience would help. 

Thanks, BFB!

I agree with most of this except I don't think age has anything to do with it, but rather preparation. There are some undergraduate programs that are very good at introducing students to academia (while I was applying I was curious and looked at their undergraduate program requirements and was fairly impressed). However, if you didn't attend one of these schools, I feel like there is less room for error in your application, so you need to do things like get an MA, write a perfect SoP, etc. 

Now, I'm an obsessive page-refresher, but this warning on Berkeley's graduate admissions site amused even me:

"We will be performing system maintenance on Wednesday, January 15th, 2014 between 6am and 6:30am. There may be a brief outage during this time. Please plan accordingly."

Are you guys checking for updates in the middle of the night?

I am actually working on a research proposal, which is 2,500 words, for a British University. While designing research, work plan and embedding it in theories is quite challenging and rewarding, the process itself brings the research project tantalisingly close. I feel that getting a rejection from this type of application is potentially worse: it becomes too real to let go.

Unfortunately, I've been there. Had an interview with a British University last year, after submitting a proposal. Was such a huge disappointment to discover a rejection 4 weeks later; it definitely felt worse than other 'no-proposal' schools.

Although I did suspect it coming, as this was my first interview with a school (ever), and I felt that I didn't do the best job preparing for their questions (better say I expected different questions).

Yes, it was me. Quite relieved, given the fact that I haven't a political science background. Thank you luckyducky!

How did I miss it! Great news, congratulations, cautiously! Whatever comes next—it's already an unbelievable relief.

Unfortunately, I've been there. Had an interview with a British University last year, after submitting a proposal. Was such a huge disappointment to discover a rejection 4 weeks later; it definitely felt worse than other 'no-proposal' schools.

Although I did suspect it coming, as this was my first interview with a school (ever), and I felt that I didn't do the best job preparing for their questions (better say I expected different questions).

I don't think the school I am applying to conducts interviews. Were you in touch with a supervisor before you submitted your application? 

I don't think the school I am applying to conducts interviews. Were you in touch with a supervisor before you submitted your application? 

I wasn't as they specifically stated that contacting your potential adviser wasn't necessary (or welcomed). I mentioned him in the SoP, and he was on the committee though (an interview was conducted by two people). 

Anyways, good luck with your proposal, and wish you to get a positive result out of it!

Edited by jeudepaume

Now, I'm an obsessive page-refresher, but this warning on Berkeley's graduate admissions site amused even me:

"We will be performing system maintenance on Wednesday, January 15th, 2014 between 6am and 6:30am. There may be a brief outage during this time. Please plan accordingly."

Are you guys checking for updates in the middle of the night?

It makes me feel really old that 6 am - 6:30 am is the middle of the night to you.

* Grabs walker, shuffles away *

I wasn't as they specifically stated that contacting your potential adviser wasn't necessary (or welcomed). I mentioned him in the SoP, and he was on the committee though (an interview was conducted by two people). 

Anyways, good luck with your proposal, and wish you to get a positive result out of it!

Thank you and to you too! :) 

On the results page, some indicated that they received their Wisconsin acceptances via the postal service. Does this mean I have to stalk the mailman for the next 2-3 weeks?

I'm already there luckyducky, already there... It makes coming home after work that much more fun...

Congratulations cautiously optimistic! Great news

And good luck to whoever still has apps out there.

All this results chatter has me a little too anxious for my liking and I'm sure many feel the same way. The last month, since I graduated, I have devoured some television. If any political junky has not yet watched the West Wing that must be done. Sherlock is fascinating and incredibly well made. Scandal is the epitome of guilty pleasure.

Political movies that must be watched: All the President's Men, Good Night and Good Luck, Last King of Scotland, The Lives of Others (german: Das Leben der Anderen)

Hannah Arendt wasn't too bad either 

Hope that helps distract

Hannah Arendt wasn't too bad either 

Is this up on Netflix or just in general? I was among a group at my uni last year that took a distribution manager to lunch in Brooklyn to convince them to let us show it before it's official release (for freeeeeee). Quite good, actually. Not an exciting movie, but very good and a significant woman to know about.

On the results page, some indicated that they received their Wisconsin acceptances via the postal service. Does this mean I have to stalk the mailman for the next 2-3 weeks?

Weird, because they just emailed me that my status is complete a week ago. But congrats to those who got accepted!

I cannot find them actually. Perhaps she/he deleted it?

Sorry, I meant I was looking at previous years acceptances and some were by mail.

I was really sad three minutes ago because I thought "if they had accepted me, they must have emailed me since I am currently out of the States. AND I HAVE NOT RECEIVED THE EMAIL!!" Now I am relieved lol.

Thanks. I thought sending out acceptances via the mail only for a few was a bit odd. 

Yes! Thanks for the intel on that... Our deliver folks will appreciate me not hounding them now. Plus, will make coming home more enjoyable at the end of the day!

I think everyone here can be thankful that no one has yet experienced what's going on right now with MIT's materials science program's admissions. *knock on wood*

Edited by Poli92