Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

That's very fast; a week and a day. Following polisci12345's suggestion above, I just checked Michigan State's start of term. It was this Monday (January 6). Which would mean that the decision was made in under a week...

Often professors are back to work before students. It's possible (but curious that nobody's posted here).

The January 10 results update from Michigan State (citing informal email from POI) may be our first reported acceptance of the season. Surprising given the January 2 deadline on their website, but I find it believable.

Wow we got off to a quick start. I was hoping to enjoy another week or two before giving into the creeping obsession. Ah well...

Also my list tells me that MSU did not notify applicants before the very end of September in previous years (results forum: 2013 - Jan 31st // 2012 - Jan 26th // 2011 - Feb 14th). I guess it is possible that a POI might contact an admit before the official decision is out. Ah well...

Congrats to whoever got into MSU! 

Also my list tells me that MSU did not notify applicants before the very end of September in previous years (results forum: 2013 - Jan 31st // 2012 - Jan 26th // 2011 - Feb 14th). 

September? I'm confused. Unless you meant January. Then I'm not confused.

Congrats to MSU admit, and good luck to all of us!

Good luck to all in the process. I remember being in your shoes a year ago and understand it can be nerve wrecking. Let the process play out and things work out in the end.

I look forward to seeing some of you in Columbus during visits. Cheers!

Not that it varies in any way from historical data available on the results page, but I got a response to an unrelated inquiry from Colorado-Boulder confirming that decisions will be announced "at the end of January." 

Boy, that really gets me worried. They just managed to complete my file, like 3 days ago---they couldn't find some of my supplemental documents. With a week or two left before the decision I feel like I might be out of the race by now.

Although it's better than what (almost) happened to a friend of mine. One school attached somebody else's transcripts to her profile. It's a good thing she discovered it. (Sorry I don't mean to add any more dimensions to everybody's anxiety)  :)

Edited by jeudepaume

September? I'm confused. Unless you meant January. Then I'm not confused.

May the wind be always at your back! I meant January :)

So do you guys think we will hear from Illinois next week? They notified people on the third week of January last year and the year before according to the results forum

Edited by TheGnome

Cool! I'm not the only one then :)

I think apart from Minnesota, Maryland, and Washington, I really didn't see any other specific poli psych programs.

I am really curious as to which programs you had in mind, though. Would you care to enlighten me, either through here or message me?

I am also intrigued as to who your POI is! I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours :P

If you won't mind me asking, are you applying to poli sci department or psychology department? I was just confused as your forum status says that you are applying to social psychology. 

I have applied to quite a number of schools. Minnesota, OSU and Stony Brook all have pretty established poli psych track. Other than those three, I mostly chose places where there are faculty working in related areas such as political behavior, communication, or public opinion ( Michigan, Duke, Illinois and a few more). 

Dear grad schools:

I get it you. You have a lot of applications to read. But if you could just, you know, skip a few and read mine and fall in love with me for some reason and contact me ASAP, I'd really appreciate it.

Best,

TMCB

I have to admit that I am also stalking one of my POIs on Twitter and I am a little concerned that he is travelling on his book tour until 19th Jan. I can't decide how to feel about it: on the one hand, if he reads my personal statement quickly then hopefully he won't notice typos and/or logical fallacies in the statement; on the other hand, it is entirely possible that he is not even going to read applications this year! 

Other POIs thankfully don't have Twitter accounts!

You might actually be better off. There are a limited number of things that one can do in a hotel room, and one of them is read application files. If, as you say, your POI is reading them. Two of our committee members are halfway around the world and are participating fully, thanks to the magic of the Internet.

Does anyone know if there is a way to find out who is on the adcom? I heard that it wasn't supposed to be a secret or anything, but I haven't been able to find anything for my schools. 

You might try contacting the DGS or the Department admin directly. I don't think it is a secret, though I've never actually been asked, so my counterparts elsewhere might be a little surprised at the question.

Edited by BFB

Dear grad schools:

I get it you. You have a lot of applications to read. But if you could just, you know, skip a few and read mine and fall in love with me for some reason and contact me ASAP, I'd really appreciate it.

Best,

TMCB

I think a quote from Grey's Anatomy sums it up the best:

"pick me, choose me, love me" - Meredith Grey

Probably should have ended my statement of purpose with that. 

You might try contacting the DGS or the Department admin directly. I don't think it is a secret, though I've never actually been asked, so my counterparts elsewhere might be a little surprised at the question.

thx! I guess it doesn't really matter anyway (just curiosity I suppose) so I won't bother anyone about it.

If you won't mind me asking, are you applying to poli sci department or psychology department? I was just confused as your forum status says that you are applying to social psychology. 

I have applied to quite a number of schools. Minnesota, OSU and Stony Brook all have pretty established poli psych track. Other than those three, I mostly chose places where there are faculty working in related areas such as political behavior, communication, or public opinion ( Michigan, Duke, Illinois and a few more). 

Well, because I have a psych background I applied to their psych department, however, I applied to a professor in the political science department haha I hope that makes sense. They have a couple of professors listed in both the psych and poli sci departments.

And you're right. I had completely forgotten about Stony Brook! Political behavior is my general interest, though. 

A grad admin at UT Austin contacted me yesterday about my app (clarification). Has anyone else's status changed online for UT Austin? 

I applied to UT Austin. One month ago my status on the utdirect website was "in review". Unfortunately,  I have not been contacted by anyone yet. 

A grad admin at UT Austin contacted me yesterday about my app (clarification). Has anyone else's status changed online for UT Austin? 

Would you mind sharing with us what kind of question he/she asked you? 

How many programs/schools did you guys end up applying to, anyway?

Six. Stuck to applying to schools that I would be super excited about going to and had a wide range of faculty (along with institutes/established programs) engaged in the type of research I'm interested in. Looking at some of the other posts around here, I'm a bit worried I wasn't specific enough about my interests in my SOP. For every school, I discussed recent books and/or articles by 3-4 senior professors that had informed my own past projects and that related to my future research interests; I also discussed that I thought I would like to be involved in so-and-so center or program because of relevant workshops/symposiums they had recently held.

Edited by boazczoine

Six. Stuck to applying to schools that I would be super excited about going to and had a wide range of faculty (along with institutes/established programs) engaged in the type of research I'm interested in. Looking at some of the other posts around here, I'm a bit worried I wasn't specific enough about my interests in my SOP. For every school, I discussed recent books and/or articles by 3-4 senior professors that had informed my own past projects and that related to my future research interests; I also discussed that I thought I would like to be involved in so-and-so center or program because of relevant workshops/symposiums they had recently held.

I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. Sounds like you did fine. The best any of us can do now is hold back the tears. :)

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack

Not to be a downer, but what is your "back-up plan" in case you don't receive any acceptances? 

I know some folks here aren't too eager to talk about this... In my case, get a job and start my life with my girlfriend. Figure out where I fell short (the only "loose end" in my application - other than perhaps fit at individual programs or general competitiveness of applicant pools - is my GRE quant score, so I imagine I could get that up) and work toward improving that not for 2015 but for 2016 (so two years out of official academia, though I'd look into doing research voluntarily or even as an assistant at nearby universities). Maybe take some stats and econ courses. 

But I'd rather stay positive... We should all be hearing, for better or worse, in the next month or so.

She just asked about a summer class at another institution when I was in undergrad. My status is 'your file has been forwarded to the graduate committee for review.'

Is this sentence on utdirect? I guess I will call.