Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Has anyone received an email from Madison? I received a seemingly personal email telling me my application is complete, but it has been complete on the website for weeks...

Another "yes." Even if it's pro forma, it was great to see something from a grad program in my in-box. I also got a personal email yesterday from a POI (at another school) who was interested in my application, which made it the very best day ever.

Edited by mygrotianmoment

Another "yes." Even if it's pro forma, it was great to see something from a grad program in my in-box. I also got a personal email yesterday from a POI (at another school) who was interested in my application, which made it the very best day ever.

Oh jeeze, things are picking up! Unfortunately, nothing to report in my inbox from any of my schools, except for a POI looking at my LinkedIn profile last week. But nbd, it didn't send me into a frenzy or anything.

Oh jeeze, things are picking up! Unfortunately, nothing to report in my inbox from any of my schools, except for a POI looking at my LinkedIn profile last week. But nbd, it didn't send me into a frenzy or anything.

I've been hoping someone looks at my LinkedIn. No bites yet. :(

Another "yes." 

Wow we have quite a number of Madison applicants here. This is good; we can let each other know when someone hears from them. 

I also got a personal email yesterday from a POI (at another school) who was interested in my application, which made it the very best day ever.

This is actually a very good signal. I wouldn't get my hopes up just because there is still a chance that you might not get in, and getting hopes up and facing a rejection is a pretty bad scenario. On the other hand I am not sure what else would justify getting hopes up apart from a POI interested in your application. Here is to your best day ever :)

Wait, do you have to have a premium LinkedIn to see who's checked your profile recently?

There were no questions in the email, but we're going to chat on the phone in the next couple of days.

Re: linkedin, I don't have an account. Do most of you use it?

Congrats!

I have a linkedin, and I keep my profile updated, but I'm not active on it otherwise. It's a nice way to control the message about you if people google you, but otherwise it's just an online resume.

Wait, do you have to have a premium LinkedIn to see who's checked your profile recently?

Nope--its under the "profile" tab at the top. You can see the last five people who have viewed you. I think its pretty common to have one if you're working or in a professional program; I've been out of undergrad for awhile but can't imagine it'd be that common to have one in college. It is helpful if you're in a very network-y sort of industry, but other than that it is really just a nice way to control your public image when potential employers google you (or POIs who are hopefully interested in taking you on).

Hey guys

It is really good to see the thread heating up! 

Another Madison confirmation email here.

Speaking of which, how do you guys check the status of your application? 

There are only a handful that provides complete status online and the rest are not too great in this regard. 

I've emailed and called to get a confirmation, and I was surprised to hear from one place that an unexpected material was missing but I found out about it only because i bothered to call up.

It would suck if you get rejected--or worse, forgotten-- just because your application was 'unexpectedly' missing things, and I was wondering how people manage. 

Have to agree though, most places seem very kind and organized. 

Because of my situation I can avoid research, which I am thankful for. I am avoiding any article (academic and non-academic), blogs, etc., that is related to my research. I don't want to go into the next few weeks deeply in love with my research topic (more so than I am now) and only to get rejections. Strangely, I find math to be relaxing during high periods of anxiety and stress, so I will be going through the book Mathematics for Economists by Blume and Simon. 

On another topic, all of the graduate secretaries that I have interacted with have been very professional and kind.

If you haven't already, pick up a proof-writing book like Velleman's How to Prove It. I would posit that proof-writing is the best recreation/relaxation math.

Hello,

Out of curiosity, did anyone apply to the poli sci/poli psych program at the University of Minnesota? I've gone through this topic but have yet to see anyone applying to U of Minnesota, so I just wondered.

Hi there  :)  I've applied to Minnesota poli psych.

If you are mainly applying to poli psych programs, I'd imagine we have quite a similar list  :P

Not that it varies in any way from historical data available on the results page, but I got a response to an unrelated inquiry from Colorado-Boulder confirming that decisions will be announced "at the end of January." Of course, because the program has historically announced acceptances in January, and rejections Feb. 1, I'd like to draw conclusions from that, but that would be silly... 

"Hello" back and welcome!

Kick back, relax, and savor the next few weeks of silence before the tumult begins.

P.S.: TakeMyCoffeeBlack, I received a call from a telemarketer and couldn't help but think of your "don't screen for unfamiliar phone numbers" comment way back. Naturally, I asked to be removed from his list. I then told him that he had me believing that I was being contacted by a graduate program. He actually said "Whoops! Well good luck." Hilarious.

Ha! Those telemarketers gave me heart attacks last Jan-March!

Nope--its under the "profile" tab at the top. You can see the last five people who have viewed you. I think its pretty common to have one if you're working or in a professional program; I've been out of undergrad for awhile but can't imagine it'd be that common to have one in college. It is helpful if you're in a very network-y sort of industry, but other than that it is really just a nice way to control your public image when potential employers google you (or POIs who are hopefully interested in taking you on).

Ah, sweet, thanks! When I tried to view it from the shortcut link, it would only display the visitor's profile picture, but blank out all the other information and it'd said something about updating to to Premium LinkedIn. Going through the location you suggested above, turns out I'd only been unable to view it because my settings had selected to browse anonymously, which meant others browsing my profile would be anonymous too. But after I'd switched the settings, it cleared the viewer history too D: Oh well, should work from now on though :)

Hi there  :)  I've applied to Minnesota poli psych.

If you are mainly applying to poli psych programs, I'd imagine we have quite a similar list  :P

Cool! I'm not the only one then :) 

I think apart from Minnesota, Maryland, and Washington, I really didn't see any other specific poli psych programs.

I am really curious as to which programs you had in mind, though. Would you care to enlighten me, either through here or message me?

I am also intrigued as to who your POI is! I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours :P 

"Hello" back and welcome!

Kick back, relax, and savor the next few weeks of silence before the tumult begins.

P.S.: TakeMyCoffeeBlack, I received a call from a telemarketer and couldn't help but think of your "don't screen for unfamiliar phone numbers" comment way back. Naturally, I asked to be removed from his list. I then told him that he had me believing that I was being contacted by a graduate program. He actually said "Whoops! Well good luck." Hilarious.

After seeing all your comments, I have gone and checked my Linkedin profile--no one unusual has checked. I have also double-checked spam folder too, but nope no news there either.

I have to admit that I am also stalking one of my POIs on Twitter and I am a little concerned that he is travelling on his book tour until 19th Jan. I can't decide how to feel about it: on the one hand, if he reads my personal statement quickly then hopefully he won't notice typos and/or logical fallacies in the statement; on the other hand, it is entirely possible that he is not even going to read applications this year! 

Other POIs thankfully don't have Twitter accounts!

Edited by o.j.

If you want some idea about when you can expect to hear, my first tip would be to check the school's academic calendar. If the semester hasn't started, it is unlikely that committees are meeting. For places with a longer winter break, that is one of the peak times for productivity because of the lack of class and administrative work. I have no special information, but I would be astonished if Columbia was making offers by the end of January. They don't start their spring term until the 21st and and offers come through GSAS which means they have to get from the admissions committee through any sort of department wide approval and a GSAS rubber stamp. I just don't see that happening in 10 days. No idea when the other schools listed above start(ed) but that is a decent place to look when trying to estimate timing for offers.

The January 10 results update from Michigan State (citing informal email from POI) may be our first reported acceptance of the season. Surprising given the January 2 deadline on their website, but I find it believable.

That's very fast; a week and a day. Following polisci12345's suggestion above, I just checked Michigan State's start of term. It was this Monday (January 6). Which would mean that the decision was made in under a week...