Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

Does anyone know when Fulbright updates the statistics?  The ones on the website are for last year's application cycle; I'm curious to see how many people applied this year for the various countries.

I think it's usually after they have finalized who has accepted their grant offer, etc. so it probably won't be until summer.

If it's not tomorrow, I'm going to lose my mind.  I still haven't started teaching (I teach a M/W/F class) because we have MLK, Jr. day so I won't start for almost another week!

I think my SO is going to kill me because I've just been generally stressed out and unpleasant.  One can only take so much stress.  He's seen the worst of me this year between this and comps!

If it's not tomorrow, I'm going to lose my mind.  I still haven't started teaching (I teach a M/W/F class) because we have MLK, Jr. day so I won't start for almost another week!

I think my SO is going to kill me because I've just been generally stressed out and unpleasant.  One can only take so much stress.  He's seen the worst of me this year between this and comps!

And he's still around! Keeper  ;)

Maybe a little off-topic, but how did those of you in relationships break the news that you were applying? How do you plan to deal with the separation if you'll be long distance? Still working that one out.... SO is supportive, but not thrilled.

What a good topic to bring up. I'm applying until this upcoming cycle, but Fulbright is already a big topic of discussion around our apartment, and my SO is really sad thinking about a year apart.  SO hints about coming along and figuring out the visa thing later, but, I know this is something I would need to experience on my own. I'd love to hear from any past winners who've navigated these waters or anyone else going through this.

And he's still around! Keeper  ;)

Maybe a little off-topic, but how did those of you in relationships break the news that you were applying? How do you plan to deal with the separation if you'll be long distance? Still working that one out.... SO is supportive, but not thrilled.

I am engaged which can get a little complicated if I end up getting recommended, especially since I am going to marry in May 2015 (a week after the grant would finish if I get it). 

I just wanted to chime in since I've done the whole long distance thing. My boyfriend and I have been together for a little more than 3 years and 2.5 of that has been long distance (different continents most of the time). It can be hard at times but you'll do what you need to make it work. I know he'll be sad to see me go again (fingers crossed that actually happens! haha), but I'm confident our relationship will be fine. 

I've been much too worried about getting through this round to even think about relationship stuff that far in the future to be quite honest. Keeping my fingers crossed we find out tomorrow! Good luck everyone!! :) 

I am engaged which can get a little complicated if I end up getting recommended, especially since I am going to marry in May 2015 (a week after the grant would finish if I get it). 

(Congrats!) That's a tough one...

My boyfriend and I are planning to find a place together after graduation if I don't get it this year, but apartment/job-hunting has to start well before I get the final notification (probably April or May for China). Oh well, just part of the package, I guess.

I think it's usually after they have finalized who has accepted their grant offer, etc. so it probably won't be until summer.

Actually, I seem to recall that they updated statistics some time in mid-spring after first round notifications went out.  Eleven people applied for four slots for Georgia for the 2013-2014 cycle. Probably half of that number was recommended to the second round. 

My boyfriend and I have been together since high school, so roughly 7 years. For 5 of those years we were in a long-distance relationship, although we thankfully lived only about 5 hours away from each other. It's been great to be down to only living 45 minutes apart and it's been hard to imagine having an entire ocean in between us. He is very supportive of me applying for the Fulbright, but I don't think he's given our potential separation too much thought. He's the type to worry about things as they come up, so I don't know how he'll actually react if I do get the grant.

THATS RIGHT, the only thing that will miss us is our Netflix subscriptions!!

And my puppies and the gentlemen of Washington, DC (move to DC if you are single, seriously)

My husband will be joining me if I get the Fulbright. We are a bit fortunate, I think, because we both work in fields similar enough to justify working at the same institution. He applied for post-doc funding to work at the same institution through the NIH, actually, so best case scenario is that we both get the awards.

It only happened that way, though, because we went out to this institution as a psuedo-honeymoon, and both fell in love with the ongoing research and capacity development efforts. (Yes, my honeymoon was spent on a scientific field visit, but hey! I was able to actually use that in my personal statement!  :P )

Lol! I realized two days ago the loss of Netflix if we go overseas. Is there something similar that you can access internationally?

Never fear, Netflix is available in a ton of countries, though rights permissions will vary pretty widely.  If you're curious and use Google Chrome as your browser you can add the "Hola" extension (link below) to allow you to simulate browsing as if you were in any number of foreign countries.  Switch over to your country of interest and then log in to Netflix; if your potential future Fulbright home has a less-than-optimal selection, you can always do the reverse (switch back to US browsing) once you're abroad.  I found this out somewhat by accident when using Hola to stream international soccer matches not available from a US IP address, then signed into Netflix before I switched back and determined that there are a lot of excellent films available abroad that are not available on the US service. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-better-internet/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en

Longtime lurker here. In my anxious state I've been searching the interwebs and found this tweet from @Fulbright_Eire (Fulbright Ireland) earlier today: 

"A. All Student and Scholar panels have been notified and FLTAs will be shortly. If you haven't heard please email us! #FulbrightFAQFriday"

So the question is: In the past, have the FLTAs been notified the same day as the U.S. Student Program? I really like the use of the word "shortly" here.  :)

At this point my husband is used to the idea of me traveling without him--one of the realities of committing to life with a Japanese major. We're also pretty independent types who need a lot of personal space. He's a novelist, and we used to both do the majority of our research and writing at home; however, we have really opposite work habits (I like silence; he finds inspiration in top-volume death metal), so these days one of us has to hole up on campus or in a cafe for the day so we stay out of one another's hair. A whole year apart for both of us to get things done? Yes, please.

I just wanted to chime in since I've done the whole long distance thing. My boyfriend and I have been together for a little more than 3 years and 2.5 of that has been long distance (different continents most of the time). It can be hard at times but you'll do what you need to make it work. I know he'll be sad to see me go again (fingers crossed that actually happens! haha), but I'm confident our relationship will be fine. 

Wow, that takes a lot of dedication! :-)  I was in a long-distance relationship for 2 years and I know it's hard work - but totally worth it.

On-topic: I just got into a great new relationship this month, and it's so recent that I'm not sure how things will go in the future. I've been in a LDR before and it was very challenging. I think I would only do that again if I were absolutely sure they were "the one"

Off-topic: I emailed my FPA and she said we should hear anytime between now and the end of January. So she didn't say explicitly that we would not hear this week. For what it's worth.

Not to worry! We can still keep our Netflix accounts on Google Chrome and use a program to block our IP addresses. (I've done this before living abroad...Netflix is such a comfort!)

Well, the bf has always been excited about it since I told him. He didn't think he was going at all he's just very supportive. He told me he was planning on proposing at the end of the year if all goes well recently but we may end up getting hitched and the figuring out the visa later. I would love to bring him and while it seems crazy I think it could work. We didn't plan on crazy fast wedding decisions but I'd like to share this. I've already been abroad twice solo for extended periods of time. If that wasn't the case I might second guess it. He reckons if we get that visa he will just come up and take a pt job. He has trade skills that could land him something.

I'm lucky in that I get extra fellowship funding on top of the grant and I have to use it next year regardless because of my health insurance. That will help me a lot. If I don't take the money, I have no health insurance.

Longtime lurker here. In my anxious state I've been searching the interwebs and found this tweet from @Fulbright_Eire (Fulbright Ireland) earlier today: 

"A. All Student and Scholar panels have been notified and FLTAs will be shortly. If you haven't heard please email us! #FulbrightFAQFriday"

So the question is: In the past, have the FLTAs been notified the same day as the U.S. Student Program? I really like the use of the word "shortly" here.  :)

Are there any FLTA's in the thread that might shed some light on this? It seems like if IIE is the one coordinating everything, they would want to be consistent.... right?! Right?!?  

At this point my husband is used to the idea of me traveling without him--one of the realities of committing to life with a Japanese major. We're also pretty independent types who need a lot of personal space. He's a novelist, and we used to both do the majority of our research and writing at home; however, we have really opposite work habits (I like silence; he finds inspiration in top-volume death metal), so these days one of us has to hole up on campus or in a cafe for the day so we stay out of one another's hair. A whole year apart for both of us to get things done? Yes, please.

Haha, I love this. :)