Fulbright 2014-2015

conservationbiologist14

I think our thread needs a happy boost! Can our tech savvy friends upload some awesome memes or gifs! I think we might need some :)

As you wish.

Paul Rudd Dancing

tumblr_l7qse5wJZ31qaqggd.gif

Cat Dancing

702YRTB.gif

Kristin Wiig Dancing

KristinWiigDancingGif6.gif

The Carlton

1tumblr_lgp6q5NhE21qcjtu8o1_500.gif

Dancing In The Dark

1zl92fn.gif

Good Will Dancing

23ma42w.jpg.gif

Borat Dancing

boratgroupdance5is.gif

Swanson Dancing

pr2.gif

Fresh Prince Dancing

smith2.gif

And I'll end with Epic Sax Guy Dancing

sax.gif

Hi Mozartgirl!

First off: you are just the most awesome and sweetest person I have met on here. 

Second: It was a UK one, which is already competitive, but perhaps I would have applied slightly differently had I known they cut the grant from 2 to 1. I was accepted into graduate school for a PhD, so I'm going to do that next year and then later in the program, reapply. I'm actually viewing my rejection as a blessing because I found another program at York Uni in the UK that is a much better fit that I did not know about, and I feel like it'll be better for my research and future studies. 

NS and my car just got towed. Thanks everyone.

Looks like Central America is notifying today! Unfortunately for me, it's an NS. Best of luck to everyone!

I'm so sorry to hear this guys, but at least the wait is over. You guys are destined to do amazing things I'm sure. Good luck! 

ahhh congratulations!!!!! I hope your boyfriend receives good news from Ukraine! What does he plan to do in Ukraine?

I like the Hunger Games reference! :)

Boyfriend here. I'm going to study the evolution of Ukrainian circus after the fall of the Soviet Union while training at the National Circus Academy in Kyiv.

Here's my favorite act to come out of their program recently: http://youtu.be/JLkU1kZrsWU

In other news, I'm quite good at being optimistic, so here's what keeps me going: Barring an all out war or country-wide insurgency, which seems unlikely, there is no way the state department would cancel its "flagship educational exchange program" with a fledgling pro-western government. They want soft power in Ukraine, so i don't see why they would cancel.

If your project was in eastern Ukraine, I would be white-knuckling it until the May 25th elections to see what Putin does next. But it's not. Hooray!

In case anyone's reading who based their project in the East, more optimism: i imagine your project could be modified to be based out of the west.

Edited by irockafe

NS and my car just got towed. Thanks everyone.

I'm so sorry. Sounds like a dreadful start to the afternoon. But thanks so much for all the positivity you've brought to this forum! I'm sure you'll find another opportunity just as great, if not better! 

Boyfriend here. I'm going to study the evolution of Ukrainian circus after the fall of the Soviet Union while training at the National Circus Academy in Kyiv.

Here's my favorite act to come out of their program recently: http://youtu.be/JLkU1kZrsWU

In other news, I'm quite good at being optimistic, so here's what keeps me going: Barring an all out war or country-wide insurgency, which seems unlikely, there is no way the state department would cancel its "flagship educational exchange program" with a fledgling pro-western government. They want soft power in Ukraine, so i don't see why they would cancel.

If your project was in eastern Ukraine, I would be white-knuckling it until the May 25th elections to see what Putin does next. But it's not. Hooray!

In case anyone's reading who based their project in the East, more optimism: i imagine your project could be modified to be based out of the west.

Cool video-- I can already feel it starting a long youtube train of procrastination for the rest of my afternoon. 

Hi Taiwan people,

Where are you all placed? (Sorry if someone already asked this -- I haven't read the forum in a while.) / Is anyone else placed in Taipei? 

Yilan! Are you a second-year ETA? I thought I read somewhere that the Taipei placements were were for people with ETA experience . . .

Also, I'm wondering if any Taiwan people have received confirmation that their submitted grant authorizations made it to the right people. I'm pretty sure that the last communication I got was the placement email - anyone else get anything more recently?

Hello Irockafe! Pleasure to hear from you.......That seems like such an interesting project!!!  The video was beautiful!  Since you would be stationed in Kyiv,  Do you think that will affect you?  There have been 2 shootings in Kyiv this past week and it has been confirmed that the people involved were from the eastern regions.

I agree with you though, having fulbright is only beneficial to this pro-Western government and shows the American support for Ukraine through educational programs such as Fulbright.  I have a gut feeling we will find out Friday, since last years applicant found out on May 2nd. Well, at least I hope we find out between now and then.

I like your optimism though!!  I will try and channel your positive attitude for myself so we can have more good vibes flowing to Ukraine.

Edited by Shogun1

Yilan! Are you a second-year ETA? I thought I read somewhere that the Taipei placements were were for people with ETA experience . . .

Also, I'm wondering if any Taiwan people have received confirmation that their submitted grant authorizations made it to the right people. I'm pretty sure that the last communication I got was the placement email - anyone else get anything more recently?

I'm in Yilan as well! (First post after months of lurking...here we go.) I received an email from Charlie Cheng saying that he hadn't received my form (even though I had sent it), so if there was any trouble he would have let you know. I'm sure as long as your form has made it successfully to him there's nothing to worry about! It doesn't sound like we should expect confirmation of anything except passing our health exams.

Also, Taiwan ETAs--does someone want to volunteer to start a Facebook group? I can't wait to get to know you all!  :)

Today I went to a Fulbright info session being led by Tony Claudino, Outreach Director for the U.S. Student Program. It seems he is going to be going to different universities around the country to do these type of sessions in the next few months and I'd recommend attending one to all the re-applicants/lurkers. He was really helpful and honest about the different topics we discussed related to the application (e.g. this process is a marathon, grants with low application numbers, language requirements).

I also received confirmation that IIE is definitely aware about our forum here on gradcafe and of people sharing what has been stated by IIE staff.

Edited by olioliwoo

Today I went to a Fulbright info session being led by Tony Claudino, Outreach Director for the U.S. Student Program. It seems he is going to be going to different universities around the country to do these type of sessions in the next few months and I'd recommend attending one to all the re-applicants/lurkers. He was really helpful and honest about the different topics we discussed related to the application (e.g. this process is a marathon, grants with low application numbers, language requirements).

I also received confirmation that IIE is definitely aware about our forum here on gradcafe and of people sharing what has been stated by IIE staff.

Good to know! Thanks for the confirmation about their knowledge. I think we all knew that they had an idea that this was here (and maybe even peruse it from time to time), but its good to hear it from a source. 

Edited by sirskipsalot

Thanks for confirming this - I have repeatedly urged people to be careful what they say on here. I think that some feel the internet is "safe" and "anonymous" - this is far from reality. If you would not say it in front of a Fulbright committee or your parents - don't say it on here. 

I'm in Yilan as well! (First post after months of lurking...here we go.) I received an email from Charlie Cheng saying that he hadn't received my form (even though I had sent it), so if there was any trouble he would have let you know. I'm sure as long as your form has made it successfully to him there's nothing to worry about! It doesn't sound like we should expect confirmation of anything except passing our health exams.

Also, Taiwan ETAs--does someone want to volunteer to start a Facebook group? I can't wait to get to know you all! :)

I'm a 1st year ETA but I do have two years of teaching experience through teach for america. I opted-in to the Taipei program. (But now I'm worried no one else will be placed there!) Edited by am403

Hey all,

Current Fulbrighter here.  I would suggest that if you have not heard anything yet, and if you are applying for a Fulbright in a country that is NOT a commission country, then you may want to politely contact the embassy itself in that country to check on the status of your Fulbright application, explain that you are trying to make decisions about jobs/Fulbright/future/etc, and ask if there is anything you can do to assist them with the process.

I did this last year and discovered that some secretary at my host affiliation basically never completed the paperwork for me to get approval to be at the university even though the U.S. Embassy (I assume?) had selected me for a Fulbright.  If I didn't call the US Embassy and find out this information and then follow up by politely pushing the university and aforementioned secretary to get my paperwork and approvals done, I do not think I would have obtained the Fulbright.

So now is the time folks!  Best of luck.  What an amazing experience this has been.

Note to the Alternates turned Accepted, on the spreadsheet, please put under the "notification date" column the date you received both the (A) email and (P) email. This will help next year's applicants know maybe a rough approximation to when they are most likely to hear.

Hey all,

Current Fulbrighter here.  I would suggest that if you have not heard anything yet, and if you are applying for a Fulbright in a country that is NOT a commission country, then you may want to politely contact the embassy itself in that country to check on the status of your Fulbright application, explain that you are trying to make decisions about jobs/Fulbright/future/etc, and ask if there is anything you can do to assist them with the process.

I did this last year and discovered that some secretary at my host affiliation basically never completed the paperwork for me to get approval to be at the university even though the U.S. Embassy (I assume?) had selected me for a Fulbright.  If I didn't call the US Embassy and find out this information and then follow up by politely pushing the university and aforementioned secretary to get my paperwork and approvals done, I do not think I would have obtained the Fulbright.

So now is the time folks!  Best of luck.  What an amazing experience this has been.

Thank you for sharing! Kind of scary to think about how some of this comes down to a few forms going one place or an email not getting filtered as spam.