2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

For asking about more funding, I would just tread carefully. Some schools are open to it, while others are not. And this can be for reasons other than where the stipend is coming from. If you are close with your POI, ask them before you ask the finances department.

I think negotiating for stipend and asking for an opportunity of getting fellowships are completely different things.

To receive fellowships, it's either you have to apply for that or they will nominate you automatically. If you qualify for it then you will get it. But that is not getting extra money for stipend.

So again, don't negotiate for higher stipend. If anything, negotiate for the fellowships.

And if you bring some external grant or funding with you, then they will add some extra money to the stipend in the form of Dean's Award or some kind of fellowship/scholarship, so that the base price of the stipend wouldn't change.

Edited by Science_Nerd

What did you guys usually say in emails turning down programs? I find it quite hard.

I found it hard, too. I had two programs that were still considering applications where I felt likely to be admitted, and I told them I had accepted an offer of admission elsewhere and would like to withdraw my application, and that it was great to meet them and then some other positive comment relevant to the interactions I'd had with them. For one school where I'd been admitted and where I really loved the program and the people there, I told them I hadn't expected the decision to be so hard and that it was with genuine regret that I had to decline their offer. They all replied with very nice emails saying they were glad I'd found a program I'm happy with and wishing me the best in the future.

For those rejected from UC Davis microbio PhD, what was the reason? I received an email directing me to the website and the specific reason, after the general letter stuff that most people get, was that I Was not as competitive as other applicants on the basis of recommendation letters. I'm not sure how to take this...any thoughts?

Edited by SailsToTheMoon

For those rejected from UC Davis microbio PhD, what was the reason? I received an email directing me to the website and the specific reason, after the general letter stuff that most people get, was that I Was not as competitive as other applicants on the basis of recommendation letters. I'm not sure how to take this...any thoughts?

Your letters of rec. weren't strong enough compared to other applicants. Talk to your letter writers if you want to know more would be my advice. Or if you already know they weren't strong letters of rec. then develop stronger relationships with them or find other letter writers next time before re-applying if you so choose. Good luck! 

Accepted to Baylor Imunology this morning. Top choice, will officially be attending. The process is finally over!!!!!

W00t! I'll see you across the street at UT!

Rejected from Cedars-Sinai post-interview, which is fine because as I said before I really didn't feel it was a good fit. Still stings a bit, though! I have decided I'll be attending OHSU in the fall. Now to send off emails!

Nice choice! I may target there for postdoc, always wanted to live in Portland. You'll have to keep us updated on how you like it!

Just sent my first decline of an offer... I really loved the program even though it just wasn't right for my interests, and it feels like being punched in the gut. The first is probably the hardest, and I know that they probably don't care nearly as much as I do, but still -- all the wonderful faculty that I met makes it so hard. T_T

Just sent my first decline of an offer... I really loved the program even though it just wasn't right for my interests, and it feels like being punched in the gut. The first is probably the hardest, and I know that they probably don't care nearly as much as I do, but still -- all the wonderful faculty that I met makes it so hard. T_T

I had that same feeling, elanorci.

Me, too!

Has anyone received any fellowships from Yale BBS yet?

I received something called a Gruber Science Fellowship. From what I understand, it's given to some incoming students in BBS, astrophysics, and cosmology. The fellowship notice was in the same envelope as the admission notice.

I know, right? I have an offer  from Drexel University but no information about funding and what is PhD without funding? Baffles me why they would even hand out such offer!

BTW, I have heard back from Roswell Park today and my interview is scheduled Feb 20th. It is a skype interview with a faculty I mentioned in my SOP. When was yours? I wonder if this is the final week with only skype interviews.

Hey! I am in the same position! Got an offer for PhD in Biomedical Engineering but no info on funding at all. You have any updates from your side @nerdson??

Hey all,

I'm planning on emailing my top choice for the status of my application, but was wondering if I could get your opinion on my wording?  I don't want to appear pushy, but I want to let them know I'm still waiting to hear back....

"Dear X,

My name is "Funkydays" and I am an applicant for the X program.  I had attended the X interview weekend.  Although I have received acceptances at other institutions, "X institution" remains my top choice.  I was wondering if it was possible to know the status for my application to help me make my final decision soon.  I would very much appreciate any information you can provide me regarding the admissions committees decision.  Thank you very much."

Do I need to write more directly about this or should I just call the department instead?

Email from U. Pitt. Ecology/Evolution. Turned it down since I've accepted MSU.

It was really hard to tell my POI that I'm not going there, especially since he kept flattering me, saying I'm the best candidate he's had in years, and we got along so well. But I feel like MSU is a better overall (safer) choice in terms of program requirements, timelines, funding, etc. Also, Pitt. POI offered to collaborate with me during my Ph.D. with some plots that are at the field site I'd be with my MSU POI anyway. So I get a bit of the best of both worlds.

For those of you who have accepted the offer from University of Pittsburgh (whether it's a program through School of Medicine or UPitt Graduate School), Marisa.UVA kindly started a forum if you are interested.

:)