2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

I just got an admission offer phone call from University of Pittsburgh IBGP.

And I am going to accept this offer from UPitt :D

And here is to all those who have been accepted ...

professor-farnsworth.jpg

Edited by Science_Nerd

Congrats!! It seems like acceptances are starting to roll in.  I got two yesterday - still waiting for my top choice, though.  *fingers crossed*

Edited by walkinlove

Congrats!! It seems like acceptances are starting to roll in.  I got two yesterday - still waiting for my top choice, though.  *fingers crossed*

Thanks!

Seems like there's rain of acceptances going on out there.

Hopefully you will get a good news soon as well :)

Its official everyone, I'm attending the University of Rochester Medical Center!

Awesome, great place! A friend of a friend went to med school there, enjoyed it very much.

And here is to all those who have been accepted ...

professor-farnsworth.jpg

Congrats! And so much love for anything Futurama related.

Although I am waiting on 3 more schools, I have decided to commit to Mount Sinai. Couldn't be happier! So glad this cycle is over! It's funny how things work out for the best. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and to those who have made their decisions! 

I didnt even think about harvard because that program is stressful and too big. Yale gives me lots of money just like harvard but cheaper cost of living in New Haven. Professors seem to like me more at Yale and UCSF. Yale students are happier too. Ucsf biophysics program is amazing and people are nice but SF is expensive to live in and finding housing will be a nightmare.

Edited by SciencePerson101

Hi everyone, for those of you who are currently turning down schools/have already done so, how did you tell the PIs you had planned to work with?  I'm not sure what to say...but they would have all made great PIs...it just comes down to my fit in the program.

GUYS. I'm in! I gotta love my PI... their meeting literally just ended and he came straight back to the lab to give me the news. AND there is a 3-year fellowship that they want to give to me, which is just bonkers! Gonna faint now, peace out. 

Edit for more info: This is the U of MN, Physiology grad program. Yep, signing on for 5 more years of polar vortexes (vortices?) 

Edited by Taeyers

Just got into MIT Biology - cool program! It was quite a long wait as I was interviewed on Feb 24. Thanks to elanorci and NoCoffeePlz and many others who were of great encouragements in the process, and good luck everyone!

I think I will make a final comparison between Columbia C2B2 and MIT Biology before deciding where to go (I am applying for CompSysBio tracks and C2B2 is reaaally a good one) - most probably will move to Boston in the end...

Hope to meet some of you guys there in the fall :)

Edited by leciel199071

Just got into MIT Biology - cool program! It was quite a long wait as I was interviewed on Feb 24. Thanks to elanorci and NoCoffeePlz and many others who were of great encouragements in the process, and good luck everyone!

I think I will make a final comparison between Columbia C2B2 and MIT Biology before deciding where to go (I am applying for CompSysBio tracks and C2B2 is reaaally a good one) - most probably will move to Boston in the end...

Hope to meet some of you guys there in the fall :)

Just wondering, when and how did you get your acceptance? I interviewed there earlier this week and I expected to be informed pretty soon given that it was their last week.

Congratulations! MIT is a great place with great people. Best of luck with your decision.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to go that way? I'm really torn between Harvard BBS and UCSF BMS, but leaning towards UCSF. Obviously both amazing schools, as is Yale, so what made you choose UCSF?

It came down to a few things:

1) I felt like I connected better to future PIs at UCSF compared to Harvard. Faculty at both schools do amazing research, but the researchers I met with at UCSF genuinely seemed like they care about their grad students and want them to succeed. I didn't get this as much from Harvard.

2) In general, I liked the BMS students a LOT more than the BBS students -- might have been just me though!

3) People just seemed happier at UCSF compared to Harvard. That definitely factored into how I remembered each school after I left.

Are you leaning to one school over the other right now? For me it ended up coming down to UCSF, MIT, and Harvard and I'm stoked to be in San Fran next year!

I didnt even think about harvard because that program is stressful and too big. Yale gives me lots of money just like harvard but cheaper cost of living in New Haven. Professors seem to like me more at Yale and UCSF. Yale students are happier too. Ucsf biophysics program is amazing and people are nice but SF is expensive to live in and finding housing will be a nightmare.

Yeah, I liked the professors I talked to at Yale, but didn't really get along with the current graduate students. Also didn't like New Haven at all. Housing in San Francisco actually doesn't worry me too much...the way I see it is a lot of graduate students are currently doing it without being completely miserable so we should be able to too :P

Just wondering, when and how did you get your acceptance? I interviewed there earlier this week and I expected to be informed pretty soon given that it was their last week.

Congratulations! MIT is a great place with great people. Best of luck with your decision.

I received the email offer at 2:30pm EST. I think they are indeed going through a rolling admissions, meaning that if you didn't hear early, you might have to wait a while as some others decline the offer - which I know quite a few who got in are likely to do so. Anyway, don't lose hope yet - best of luck!

I received the email offer at 2:30pm EST. I think they are indeed going through a rolling admissions, meaning that if you didn't hear early, you might have to wait a while as some others decline the offer - which I know quite a few who got in are likely to do so. Anyway, don't lose hope yet - best of luck!

I interviewed on 2/10 and I received the email 2:30pm EST. Good luck!

Not sure if it was you, Eatin'Biscuits who turned down their spot...but just got off the waitlist for UVA.  For those on the waitlist anywhere, don't lose hope!  And for people who have officially declined their spots, thank you for letting the schools know so that people on the waitlist can be accepted 

It wasn't me but congrats on the acceptance!

I interviewed on 2/10 and I received the email 2:30pm EST. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Maybe they will give acceptances to those who interviewed 3/10 sometime next week.