2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

I JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW OFFER!  Van Andel just called and invited me to an interview tomorrow!

HURRAY!

That is excellent, Van Andel does amazing work. Enjoy Grand Rapids.

According to the GSBS Associate Dean of Graduate Education, the Deans will be making admission decisions in mid-March, and then the admissions office will contact us thereafter. So answers in the next week or so I would imagine.

Cool. Just getting a little discouraged because some people have reported they have been accepted already. Maybe these are the cream of crop applicants.

Acceptance offers from Oregon State and Portland State today. I'm excite. But I also have an interview with another school in two weeks. Wish these things were timed better.

Congrats! That's pretty late to have an interview. Where else were you accepted?

Someone just posted an acceptance via phone for UNC - bbsp just now on the board. Anyone on here just hear back?

I got a couple of emails last Friday letting me know I was accepted, and said that I'll be receiving an official letter through snail mail. I interviewed 1/31 - so it definitely took them a while! If it helps, I was interviewing with people from the molecular & cellular pathology department.

:) Congrats! Happy for your result! So, which school are you leaning to?

I'm utterly lost right now because I am smitten with both programs, and would be 100% happy with either. However, my SO has some job interviews in the Denver area this week, and jobs for him will likely be a rate-determining step in my decision-making process. I'm not looking saying "no" to one, but it's a great feeling to have this choice to make!

Acceptance offers from Oregon State and Portland State today. I'm excite. But I also have an interview with another school in two weeks. Wish these things were timed better.

Congrats did you just apply to masters programs then?

I'm utterly lost right now because I am smitten with both programs, and would be 100% happy with either. However, my SO has some job interviews in the Denver area this week, and jobs for him will likely be a rate-determining step in my decision-making process. I'm not looking saying "no" to one, but it's a great feeling to have this choice to make!

I see :D It is very nice to match SO's workplace and your grad program!

As an international, I saw some couples apart from each other more than 500 miles or so after they got admission. 

They were separate for some years for their PhD degree program......which I cannot imagine!! :P 

Someone just posted an acceptance via phone for UNC - bbsp just now on the board. Anyone on here just hear back?

There's been 1 acceptance posted per day for the past 5 business days and it's driving me nuts. Hopefully we'll hear soon too. When did you interview?

There's been 1 acceptance posted per day for the past 5 business days and it's driving me nuts. Hopefully we'll hear soon too. When did you interview?

I interviewed not last weekend but the weekend before. So I'm clearly just being impatient if it's taken everyone longer to hear. But I'm getting restless.

I love how you used "rate determining step" yay for science terms!

I am so unimpressed with Cedars right now. The interview is this Sat-Tues.

First, they didn't get to us with interview offers until 3 weeks before the interview. Sure, they had a late deadline (Jan 15th originally, then pushed to Jan 31) but still!

Second, they can't accommodate my dietary restrictions (vegan... LA is very vegan-friendly). Not a big deal as I can provide my own food, but very unimpressive. The other places didn't have an issue at all.

Third, they originally had two 3-hr interview blocks scheduled - one for Monday and one for Tuesday. They never requested a faculty list from me. Today I got the updated itinerary and it's such bs. That 3-hr block is now a 30min interview and a 2.5hr "break." In addition, for that 30-minute interview I'm meeting with TWO faculty members at the same time, ones that I totally did not choose and are not in line with my interests.

Icing on the cake? One of the interviewers is my PI's boss, a guy I've worked very closely with for years and he was even a letter writer for me. I emailed him and he has no idea what's going on and thinks it's pretty bs as well. At the very least he said he's going to talk to the coordinator about getting me in with someone else. He also said he can hook me up with some researchers I'm actually interested in during my "breaks." This is ridiculous. Maybe I should have stuck with traditional academic institutions rather than trying out a research hospital!

I interviewed not last weekend but the weekend before. So I'm clearly just being impatient if it's taken everyone longer to hear. But I'm getting restless.

I interviewed the weekend before you. I assume they're sending out decisions to the earliest weekends now and will get to us next week. Who knows. If they take me then I'm definitely attending. If not, then it's UVA. Still waiting on Emory too but I won't be going there even if accepted.

I just found out that I am the top candidate on the wait list for the Johns Hopkins MMI program! Holy crap! Now comes the hard part - trying to remain patient and to not think too much about the possibility of having to choose between two programs that I really like (I know, I know, first world graduate school problems...). All of you guys that have gotten into multiple great programs: I don't know how you manage to make that decision!