2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

My mother sent me a picture of an envelope today from University of Florida that is at my house, I'm pretty sure its a post interview rejection because of a small blemish on my application (worked together with someone on a hw assignment freshman year and got slapped on the wrist).  If so, I'll be committing to University of Rochester later this week.  Feels weird to be making a decision.

I don't even know what to say.  I just got my third rejection today, but this time from University of Nebraska-Lincoln Biological Science Program.  

I think the time changing event cause this curse to happen.

I know you'll find the right place for you, knightrunner.  Give it another go next year.  Sounds like you're a qualified candidate for admission, just got hit with a streak of bad luck this year.

My mother sent me a picture of an envelope today from University of Florida that is at my house, I'm pretty sure its a post interview rejection because of a small blemish on my application (worked together with someone on a hw assignment freshman year and got slapped on the wrist).  If so, I'll be committing to University of Rochester later this week.  Feels weird to be making a decision.

But it's certainly nice to be able to say that you'll be attending a specific university this fall and putting the application process behind you.

But it's certainly nice to be able to say that you'll be attending a specific university this fall and putting the application process behind you.

Oh yeah if they don't want me because of that its on them.  The funny thing is, since it was so minor my school probably wouldn't even report it, but I guess that's what I get for being forthcoming and honest.  I own up to my actions and it was a dumb mistake, sure, but I was 18 years old in my first year of college at the time.  Either way I'm going to grad school and that's what really matters.

Is it a big envelope or a small envelope? If it's a big, thick envelope, it may be an acceptance. 

Is it a big envelope or a small envelope? If it's a big, thick envelope, it may be an acceptance. 

I've recently gotten two acceptances that were in very thin envelopes. Granted I got an acceptance e-mail beforehand so I knew what to expect, but acceptance mailings aren't always big! 

Well it looks like a regular envelope.  I'm headed home for spring break on Friday so we will see!

I've recently gotten two acceptances that were in very thin envelopes. Granted I got an acceptance e-mail beforehand so I knew what to expect, but acceptance mailings aren't always big! 

Does the program do rotations? If it does rotations, I'd speak with both of them. If not, that's a little trickier to handle.

The program does have the option of doing rotations or else accepts students straight into a lab, but they accept few students to do rotations because of limited TAships. I'm afraid asking to do rotations would hurt my chances.

The program does have the option of doing rotations or else accepts students straight into a lab, but they accept few students to do rotations because of limited TAships. I'm afraid asking to do rotations would hurt my chances.

Maybe talk to them and indicate that you'd love to work in their lab, but you are hoping to be able to do rotations. Stress that you would still be very interested even if you don't get offered the opportunity to do rotations so they know that you are still worth giving an offer if they can't offer you a rotating spot.

Has anybody in UTSW's hold category recently heard back from UTSW's Division of Basic Sciences? I reaffirmed interest in their program a little over a month ago (on 2/7) and never heard anything back. It would be a nightmare if I accepted an offer, then received either an interview invitation or acceptance offer from UTSW!  FYI, I received my "official admissions decision update" with notice of my placement in the hold category on February 6th in an email from D. Evalds. I know a few folks on this forum received their's a few days after me, which implies that I am by no means atop this waiting list. Thanks 

Professor from my top choice, Irvine, said I probably won't be accepted this fall. I didn't think anything could hurt after I got into Duke, but this just reopened old wounds.

Professor from my top choice, Irvine, said I probably won't be accepted this fall. I didn't think anything could hurt after I got into Duke, but this just reopened old wounds.

Well, Forget about Irvine!  it is their loss :)  Congrats for Duke acceptance!

Just got an acceptance from Princeton QCB by phone. I missed this call (DGS left a voicemail), as well as one yesterday... Why do they always call when I'm in class??? I probably seem super flaky :/ Anyway, hooray! 

This marks the official end of my application season -- all of my decisions are in!!! What an enormous relief. No more waiting.

I thought I knew where I was going to pick, but then Princeton offered me some kind of special fellowship, and now I'm up in the air again... I'll have to do some serious thinking after they (snail mail!!!) me the details. 

^ What schools are you leaning toward?

It's pretty much down to Harvard, Baylor, and Princeton. I was heavily leaning toward Harvard (like I was pretty much convinced) until the mention of the Princeton fellowship. I guess I can't really try to make up my mind until I see the details. 

Also, congrats on your wonderful outcome!!! Duke is an awesome school and it looks like they gave you an amazing stipend (especially for Durham, where housing is so wonderfully cheap). :D 

It's pretty much down to Harvard, Baylor, and Princeton. I was heavily leaning toward Harvard (like I was pretty much convinced) until the mention of the Princeton fellowship. I guess I can't really try to make up my mind until I see the details. 

Also, congrats on your wonderful outcome!!! Duke is an awesome school and it looks like they gave you an amazing stipend (especially for Durham, where housing is so wonderfully cheap). :D

Congrats on your success as well! Sounds like you have a tough decision to make.

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from UMASS Medical or UNC post interview?

Still waiting on UNC. Their final weekend was just this past weekend. Considering the size of the program, I'm expecting admission offers (aside from the couple of top candidates) to start rolling in in by next week.

I know you'll find the right place for you, knightrunner.  Give it another go next year.  Sounds like you're a qualified candidate for admission, just got hit with a streak of bad luck this year.

Thanks for the encouragement.  I still have a few hopes left.

This is a very long shot, and I'm probably deluding myself to false hope of somebody with so many rejections, but a small possibility of winning the NSF-GRFP can be a huge turn around. 

If I work hard in my current research project and finish a manuscript, before July I might be able to apply abroad to a decent PhD Program.

I just found a Master Program at CA that might help me lean towards the light a bit more.

If the above 3 plans fail I can always vacation and work for the semester or year.

This is a very long shot, and I'm probably deluding myself to false hope of somebody with so many rejections, but a small possibility of winning the NSF-GRFP can be a huge turn around. 

If I work hard in my current research project and finish a manuscript, before July I might be able to apply abroad to a decent PhD Program.

I just found a Master Program at CA that might help me lean towards the light a bit more.

If the above 3 plans fail I can always vacation and work for the semester or year.

I'm really sorry, knightrunner :( Everyone says the grad school admissions process is a lot like roulette. It doesn't say anything about your ability as a researcher or a student whatsoever. It honestly just highlights the failings of the system. I really hope you win the NSF-GRFP.

Hey Knightrunner, in quite the similar situation myself.  Here's hoping we both get NSF grants!

Did anyone hear back from Wake Forest ever? They've been awfully quiet from what I can tell...

Did you interview there already? I have a friend who was supposed to interview but due to the craziness with the weather the I terview weekend got rescheduled. I'll ask if he ever made it and if so he's heard a response.

Sorry...I don't wanna go back and gather quotes ::lazy right now:: To address some of the recent posts: I'm still stuck on the UTSW black hole wait list also and I kinda doubt I'm gonna get off of it. I will probably have made a decision before they ever get back to me.

Caltech finally put me out of my misery today (they at least sent a nice, though generic, email). That was such a weird school to apply to.

To the person that commented on Irvine...a prof actually told you they think you won't get in?!?! That just does it for me with that school. They seem just overall weird and kind of rude... <_<   I'm sorry that happened to you.

Congratulations to everyone that is getting in and finally done with this process!!!....I am still agonizing over my options.... -_-

I also would like to offer my encouragement to the few of you for whom things did not work out so well. Especially if you are just coming out of undergrad, do not lose hope! An MS or another year or two of experience will make all the difference, I am sure. Stay positive and apply again next year! You will have a much better handle on things the second time around and I am sure it will work out. You should also consider that in another year or two YOU will be in a different place and you might find that doing the whole applying/starting school thing actually worked out better for you by waiting. Had you gone this year, it might not have turned out so well, so there is that, too.  :lol:

Also, there was someone that made a comment about being forthright and honest during this whole process.... I totally feel you. I'm an honest sort of person and I do feel that there have been a couple of small times where my honesty has not been rewarded and on a moral level this really kind of distresses me. I don't want to NOT be the person that I am during grad school!!.... All I can say is, try not to think of it that way and realize that you are playing the game of grad school admissions (and, later, the game of grad school). There is an element of secrecy involved in most games and you just can't naively tip your hand too much, even if it seems like the right thing to do.... :(

Has anyone heard back yet from Stanford Immuno? I know one person did early last week but I'm wondering if the rest of us are still waiting....

People keep getting real rejections from programs I applied to and I haven't... I know it may be good, but I have to commit to Penn State by 3/21. I just want everything finalized! :(