2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

I got my acceptance to Yale! It was my top choice after visiting, and I'm very excited to say that I'll be going there in the fall! Thankfully this whole process is over now.

Congrats!! An awesome end to your awesome application season (: 

Anyone who went to MIT biology's first or second interview and still waiting to hear back? I know they're not done with their last interview weekend but I just feel so anxious... especially because some people already got their acceptances!

But what can I do :) Just enjoy the weekend guys! At least we know that they're not gonna send emails during the weekend loll

I got my acceptance to Yale! It was my top choice after visiting, and I'm very excited to say that I'll be going there in the fall! Thankfully this whole process is over now.

Congrats!! See you there in the fall! :)

Anyone who went to MIT biology's first or second interview and still waiting to hear back? I know they're not done with their last interview weekend but I just feel so anxious... especially because some people already got their acceptances!

But what can I do :) Just enjoy the weekend guys! At least we know that they're not gonna send emails during the weekend loll

From what I heard, this is how it works. They admit the top 1/3 of the interviewees after each weekend. The rest are sent off to "playoffs", and after all interview weekends are done, MIT offers admission to about half of those in this pool. In total, ~two-thirds of the interviwees will be offered admission.

Edit: clarification

Edited by No Coffee Plz

Wait, I think I know who you are!! Check pm plz :)

Got an informal reject from Irvine. It was one of my three favorite programs, so it does bother me a little. They specifically quoted my grades, saying it wasn't as good as other international students. Oh well, I guess this makes my choice easier.

Got an informal reject from Irvine. It was one of my three favorite programs, so it does bother me a little. They specifically quoted my grades, saying it wasn't as good as other international students. Oh well, I guess this makes my choice easier.

Well, that's at least cool that they gave you a specific explanation....I've not heard of schools doing this thus far.

Has anyone heard back from Princeton QCB after their interviews...? It seems like people in past years usually hear back around late February, but I haven't seen anyone post their admissions on the results section...  :o

Has anyone heard back from Princeton QCB after their interviews...? It seems like people in past years usually hear back around late February, but I haven't seen anyone post their admissions on the results section...  :o

I haven't heard anything yet. Last Wednesday, the coordinator said that there had to be an official meeting with the graduate school before decisions were sent and that QCB's meeting wasn't until this week. She said she expected decisions to be sent out "in the next week or so," so I was expecting to hear back on Thursday or Friday... Guess we just have to be patient.

I haven't heard anything yet. Last Wednesday, the coordinator said that there had to be an official meeting with the graduate school before decisions were sent and that QCB's meeting wasn't until this week. She said she expected decisions to be sent out "in the next week or so," so I was expecting to hear back on Thursday or Friday... Guess we just have to be patient.

I haven't heard anything either. :/

It is a little bit weird of them to quote your grade.

But on the other hand, it is good to know the exact reason.

For me, pretending to be gentle like "we have unprecedented number of applicants...." is even worse.

For me, pretending to be gentle like "we have unprecedented number of applicants...." is even worse.

I had one that ended with "We hope this does not dissuade you from pursuing graduate studies. " I mean seriously!

I haven't heard anything either. :/

Well, hope we hear back soon. Princeton's got some really cutting-edge and paradigm-changing quantitative biology research going on.... Was really impressed when I interviewed with them :P

Well, hope we hear back soon. Princeton's got some really cutting-edge and paradigm-changing quantitative biology research going on.... Was really impressed when I interviewed with them :P

I do too! Although - that was my impression when I visited, but I've since heard some pretty alarming stuff about the program that's giving me second thoughts... PM me if you're interested (anyone), as I'm not too into gossiping here. 

Edited by elanorci

So happy someone else agrees.  I'd rather just have a "We're sorry but we do not think your application fits with what we are looking for" than "You are so super special and amazing but we had soooooooo many great applicants this year that we just can't interview you.  We know you'll do super awesome somewhere else.  Best of luck!

XOXO,

The Grad AdCom @ [university]"

I agree since if I know the exact reason then I have a chance to improve in a particular point and make my application better for next year.

If adcom just says we have unprecedented number, then this doesn't help at all since the number of applicants won't change a lot and we don't know what can we do to make our application stand out.

jeez this place is dead today, huh?

I've been checking it periodically as I grind out a 7 hour lab procedure, and with nothing new to read it has been pretty boring.  Its very dead today indeed.

I received an e-mail saying I was on the short end of the waitlist.
---

I find this encouraging but also extremely odd. Can anyone comment? I think I may need a little luck this week that just one person declines their offer, but i'm not sure what the "short end" of their waitlist means..