2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hey SS2player, have to tried to contact UT Houston about your post interview status? Just wandering if you were notified about your status all since the interview cause I've heard nothing. I know its spring break so they are not there but getting a little nervous now.

Hey SS2player, have to tried to contact UT Houston about your post interview status? Just wandering if you were notified about your status all since the interview cause I've heard nothing. I know its spring break so they are not there but getting a little nervous now.

I have heard nothing. If I don't hear anything this week, I will likely call next week. I have an acceptance already so I'd like to hear from my 3 other schools so I can make a decision!

Did you interview there already? I have a friend who was supposed to interview but due to the craziness with the weather the I terview weekend got rescheduled. I'll ask if he ever made it and if so he's heard a response.

No, I just never heard anything at all, same with the other kids from my school.... my professor just thought that was weird seeing as we usually have a good track record with WFU, someone at least should have heard about an interview (unless we all sucked this time around, which is completely possible :P ) I'm glad someone's heard at least, good luck to your friend! Thanks for letting me know :)

On another note, has anyone (gulp) called a school to see if they have any information? I want to make a choice on my schools but I'm waiting to hear back on three more...

After literally more than a month of waiting to hear back from Princeton and finally getting an acceptance devoid of actual information about the offer (literally 3 separate emails all of which told me that I would get information from someone else), I have to go through some netID setup process to see my fellowship/stipend information... Only to have it not work, to call their IT people, and to be told that the problem is on the graduate school's end. ? really? I wouldn't care at all except that it's getting late and I'd like to make a decision to get back to as many schools as possible so that people can be taken off the waitlist etc.... 

First world problems, I know, but I'm not too impressed at the moment. 

\rant

Could someone here comment on Emory's GMB (Genetics and Molecular Biology) program? Although I haven't noticed anyone else on this forum whose applied to this program, I'm just trying to see if potentially someone interviewed there in person and may know something about their rank, student outcomes, etc. . .

I JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW OFFER!  Van Andel just called and invited me to an interview tomorrow!

HURRAY!

way to go! Kill it at the interview!

According to the GSBS Associate Dean of Graduate Education, the Deans will be making admission decisions in mid-March, and then the admissions office will contact us thereafter. So answers in the next week or so I would imagine.

According to the GSBS Associate Dean of Graduate Education, the Deans will be making admission decisions in mid-March, and then the admissions office will contact us thereafter. So answers in the next week or so I would imagine.

Awesome, thanks for the info! They just had their last interview weekend, so that makes a lot of sense.

Edited by ss2player

Hey Knightrunner, in quite the similar situation myself.  Here's hoping we both get NSF grants!

If either of us won grants or even hit the no prize honorable section then I'll would celebrate with drinks.  Just a few more weeks and we will know the results :)  I could say that this can be a miracle life saver.

I'm really sorry, knightrunner :( Everyone says the grad school admissions process is a lot like roulette. It doesn't say anything about your ability as a researcher or a student whatsoever. It honestly just highlights the failings of the system. I really hope you win the NSF-GRFP.

I guess I have a terrible gambling streak then.  Honestly, I use to tell myself why couldn't they have choose me, but I also came into a realization that they cannot support all superstars.  It maybe a failing system, but I hope this years group does well.  Somehow this application process taught me a great deal of things. 

If either of us won grants or even hit the no prize honorable section then I'll would celebrate with drinks.  Just a few more weeks and we will know the results :)  I could say that this can be a miracle life saver.

I guess I have a terrible gambling streak then.  Honestly, I use to tell myself why couldn't they have choose me, but I also came into a realization that they cannot support all superstars.  It maybe a failing system, but I hope this years group does well.  Somehow this application process taught me a great deal of things. 

I'd buy you a round as well!  At the very least it's good practice for grant writing.  Good luck to you!

This could explain why I got rejected in this subfield this year :(.  Interesting, I am currently working in a Genomics Project at Washington University so we probably cross each others paths before.