2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

People keep getting real rejections from programs I applied to and I haven't... I know it may be good, but I have to commit to Penn State by 3/21. I just want everything finalized! :(

Wow, why do they want an answer so soon? Are they offering you money to accept?

Wow, why do they want an answer so soon? Are they offering you money to accept?

They're offering me a $2,000 incentive to commit early. I'm also still waiting for my SO to hear from pretty much everything. Ugh!

People keep getting real rejections from programs I applied to and I haven't... I know it may be good, but I have to commit to Penn State by 3/21. I just want everything finalized! :(

I do too! I have a great offer that I'm tempted to accept, but I would really kick myself if I do get into the other one I'm waiting for afterward. At least the existing top offer doesn't have an early deadline...I have until April 15.

Hey Knightrunner, in quite the similar situation myself.  Here's hoping we both get NSF grants!

im applying to the masters programs in CUNY - affordable and good research! i was also offered an adjunct position at one of them so im beyond excited for that! - will definitely strengthen my application for a later cycle. 

Northwestern DGP today resent me my rejection letter, thanks Northwestern. Guess they wanted let me know their minds didnt change? 

Has anyone heard back yet from Stanford Immuno? I know one person did early last week but I'm wondering if the rest of us are still waiting....

It seems that most of the acceptances (regardless of home program? I could be wrong about that) went out last week. I got the waitlist email this week, but I'm not Immuno so dunno if that's helpful to you at all. Had a lot of fun at the interview weekend there, so I'm pretty bummed, but not giving up.

It seems that most of the acceptances (regardless of home program? I could be wrong about that) went out last week. I got the waitlist email this week, but I'm not Immuno so dunno if that's helpful to you at all. Had a lot of fun at the interview weekend there, so I'm pretty bummed, but not giving up.

May I ask what program you are?

Even though I have already committed to one program, I am still curious to know the results of the programs that I have not heard anything from. Do you guys think if I don't hear anything until now, it means it will be a no ?

Even though I have already committed to one program, I am still curious to know the results of the programs that I have not heard anything from. Do you guys think if I don't hear anything until now, it means it will be a no ?

I'd say so. It's getting very late in the application season. I'm still waiting for Northwester ibis----but my $95 application fee probably wasted.

Sorry...I don't wanna go back and gather quotes ::lazy right now:: To address some of the recent posts: I'm still stuck on the UTSW black hole wait list also and I kinda doubt I'm gonna get off of it. I will probably have made a decision before they ever get back to me.

Caltech finally put me out of my misery today (they at least sent a nice, though generic, email). That was such a weird school to apply to.

To the person that commented on Irvine...a prof actually told you they think you won't get in?!?! That just does it for me with that school. They seem just overall weird and kind of rude... <_<   I'm sorry that happened to you.

Congratulations to everyone that is getting in and finally done with this process!!!....I am still agonizing over my options.... -_-

I also would like to offer my encouragement to the few of you for whom things did not work out so well. Especially if you are just coming out of undergrad, do not lose hope! An MS or another year or two of experience will make all the difference, I am sure. Stay positive and apply again next year! You will have a much better handle on things the second time around and I am sure it will work out. You should also consider that in another year or two YOU will be in a different place and you might find that doing the whole applying/starting school thing actually worked out better for you by waiting. Had you gone this year, it might not have turned out so well, so there is that, too.  :lol:

Also, there was someone that made a comment about being forthright and honest during this whole process.... I totally feel you. I'm an honest sort of person and I do feel that there have been a couple of small times where my honesty has not been rewarded and on a moral level this really kind of distresses me. I don't want to NOT be the person that I am during grad school!!.... All I can say is, try not to think of it that way and realize that you are playing the game of grad school admissions (and, later, the game of grad school). There is an element of secrecy involved in most games and you just can't naively tip your hand too much, even if it seems like the right thing to do.... :(

Has anyone heard back yet from Stanford Immuno? I know one person did early last week but I'm wondering if the rest of us are still waiting....

I'd be the "honesty" person.  I'm not too upset (and I don't actually know if I got rejected or not yet).  I've got an Awesome offer from URMC so all is well in my world!

Anyone heard from Yale BBSB program? I've seen other programs on here...

Several people that I interviewed with heard back very shortly afterwards, but I've still heard nothing. I'm not sure whether all acceptances are out or not. I contacted Christian Schlieker so hopefully we'll have some news (ANY NEWS  :blink: ) soon

Have you asked them where you are on the waitlist? If I remember correctly, they said that they would be able to give people an idea of that.

Several people that I interviewed with heard back very shortly afterwards, but I've still heard nothing. I'm not sure whether all acceptances are out or not. I contacted Christian Schlieker so hopefully we'll have some news (ANY NEWS  :blink: ) soon

I've heard nothing as well. Will you post if you hear anything from Christian?

Does anyone know if UMASS has sent out most of their acceptances already? I see a bunch of them on here but I never heard anything back post interview (mid February). Should I assume I'm probably rejected or on a waitlist?

Does anyone know if UMASS has sent out most of their acceptances already? I see a bunch of them on here but I never heard anything back post interview (mid February). Should I assume I'm probably rejected or on a waitlist?

I think they might be waiting for students who received offer earlier to make the call and then make new offers to other students. I was on the first weekend and received an offer about a week after. Since I will not be attending UMass, there will be at least one spot opening up. I hope this spot will go directly to you :)

I've heard nothing as well. Will you post if you hear anything from Christian?

For sure, I'll pass anything along, hope you do the same.

Princeton rejection finally came. I'm oddly excited by this! It's nice to have answers.

I know right, I got mine yesterday, plus Madison today, It's nice to have closure.

Ugh! It's been over a month since my first interview and I did four in a row - still NO word from anyone.  =(  Why is it taking so long to hear back from all of these programs?!

My assumption (because I am in the same boat as you for most of my post-interview schools) is that it means we are not the top candidates and are placed on some internal "holding/waiting list" that is not shared with the applicants. This could end up being good because they didn't reject you right after your interview like they do for most of the candidates they have an absolute no for. Or it could just mean they are waiting until the last minute to send the rejections out in case they will need to send any more acceptances if people decline.

Ugh! It's been over a month since my first interview and I did four in a row - still NO word from anyone.  =(  Why is it taking so long to hear back from all of these programs?!

Haha, I feel the same way, but I think that's just the way it is for us EEB folks. Berkeley took ~1.5 months post interview to accept me (even though my POI told me at my interview I was in), and one of my programs' grad committee is just now meeting today to decide on applicants. Our season just seems a little bit more drawn out (and late) than other bio programs. At least we know we'll hear back soon as April is coming. :)

Edited by iheartplants