2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Someone has posted a UNC BBSP acceptance in the results. I didn't think I could check my email any more than I already was.. but I was wrong.

They're probably a top candidate from a recent weekend. I don't think most of the offers are going out until after all the weekends are done.

They're probably a top candidate from a recent weekend. I don't think most of the offers are going out until after all the weekends are done.

True - when I was there last weekend they said they would take two weeks or so to get back to us but may be sending an invitation or two to their top candidates and have done that already with a few. But the majority will not hear until the interview weekends are over and have a few weeks to decide.

True - when I was there last weekend they said they would take two weeks or so to get back to us but may be sending an invitation or two to their top candidates and have done that already with a few. But the majority will not hear until the interview weekends are over and have a few weeks to decide.

Could also be someone who was nominated for a fellowship a while back and has just received the acceptance, which wouldn't necessarily be dependent on the admissions committee from your interview weekend.

Of course they told me the same thing.. It doesn't stop me from being crazy though :)

Thanks all you posters on the advice for selecting school to attend.

Which program at university of Rochester?  I'm 90% sure that's where I'm attending

MackF, it is the IMV program (Immunology Microbiology and Virology).

So, admissions for a few of my programs was explained to me like this:

Before interviews, some students may be nominated for prestigious fellowships by the department, college, or university. If a student wins one of these fellowships before the interview weekend - or even after the interview - then they are admitted to the program. Although, the student may not know if they have been awarded this fellowship, and the funding offer may come with the admissions letter later.

I was offered fellowship pre-interview, pre-acceptance, and didn't get an official acceptance letter until during the interview weekend.

After interviews, the professors get together and rank applicants. Some professors may have more pull, and be able to get students that they are really interested in. These students will get offers of admission, if there is adequate funding for that lab group. In groups with rotations, it seems more like there is a consensus ranking system by the admissions committee. The top-ranked applicants are sent offers first, according to how much funding there is. The rest are "wait-listed" but may not even be informed that they are waiting. This explains why some of you haven't heard from programs yet. Once those invitations start coming back with "no" responses, they begin to invite more people off of the wait-list, going down the rankings. They do this until they have maxed out their funding. Then, if professors still want students from lower down the rankings, they can offer up RA-ships from their own grants (if they have them).

If you haven't heard yet, don't worry. You could be the next person on that list, or a professor could be scrounging up money to invite you in. If it's not a rejection, it's not final.

Edit: For the programs that send out all notices at once, if you haven't heard anything yet, I think you're probably one of the ones that is waiting for funding. You may even be good for funding, but the professors are trying to identify which source they want to offer you to come in on.

So, hypothetically, if a program is accepting 30 students, then they will send out 30 to the top choices and the rest are waitlisted?  Or are some schools sending acceptances to 10 of their top picks and waiting to hear back, then going to the next pool of applicants to fill in the rest of the slots?  

So, hypothetically, if a program is accepting 30 students, then they will send out 30 to the top choices and the rest are waitlisted?  Or are some schools sending acceptances to 10 of their top picks and waiting to hear back, then going to the next pool of applicants to fill in the rest of the slots?  

Some schools send them in waves. So maybe 20, then 10 accept. Send out another 20. Repeat.

Some schools sends them all at once, so they will send out more invitations than they expect people to accept. They may send out 40 acceptances and expect only 30 to actually go to the school next year.

I only know about my own programs, but the general consensus seems to be that, if you haven't gotten any notice yet, you could still be accepted.

Some schools send them in waves. So maybe 20, then 10 accept. Send out another 20. Repeat.

Some schools sends them all at once, so they will send out more invitations than they expect people to accept. They may send out 40 acceptances and expect only 30 to actually go to the school next year.

I only know about my own programs, but the general consensus seems to be that, if you haven't gotten any notice yet, you could still be accepted.

Ah, I see.  Thanks for the clarification. :) 

Rejected from Carnegie Mellon today.  Rochester medical center is looking more and more likely every day.

Isn't kind of comforting to get actual answers and be that much closer to a decision... I still have so many in limbo I'm just pretending I'm rejected.

Called Baylor Immunology and they said they put me very high on their alternative list. I know they only offer 4-5 spots and don't send out more invitations than they have spots. I'm not sure if they ever go off their waitlist group or what "very high" means.

Happy Friday...

Edited by Immune123

Isn't kind of comforting to get actual answers and be that much closer to a decision... I still have so many in limbo I'm just pretending I'm rejected.

It is comforting.  Honestly at this point I'm of the opinion that if I haven't been invited for an interview then I've been rejected.  I'm not looking for pity lol I have an amazing offer at U of R and as we all know it only takes 1!

Anyone have any suggestions or insight about being "high" on the alternate list at a school that only offers 5 slots? I can't imagine all 5 people would commit - since everyone applies to so many schools. But I guess that is just me being hopeful….

Immune123 did Baylor reach out to you at all or are you getting this information strictly from contacting them? I'm assuming I'm in a similar situation at UTMB, on an alternate or waitlist... Contemplating reaching out to them today to ask.

Immune123 did Baylor reach out to you at all or are you getting this information strictly from contacting them? I'm assuming I'm in a similar situation at UTMB, on an alternate or waitlist... Contemplating reaching out to them today to ask.

I reached out to them. I have been emailing back and forth with one of my interviewers who I connected really well with. He recommended me for admissions and sent an email to the director of the program, but it doesn't seem like he had as much say as I had hoped. So eventually I just called them, and they told me today I was very high on an alternate list and will be receiving an email later on today about it.

So, admissions for a few of my programs was explained to me like this:

Before interviews, some students may be nominated for prestigious fellowships by the department, college, or university. If a student wins one of these fellowships before the interview weekend - or even after the interview - then they are admitted to the program. Although, the student may not know if they have been awarded this fellowship, and the funding offer may come with the admissions letter later.

I was offered fellowship pre-interview, pre-acceptance, and didn't get an official acceptance letter until during the interview weekend.

After interviews, the professors get together and rank applicants. Some professors may have more pull, and be able to get students that they are really interested in. These students will get offers of admission, if there is adequate funding for that lab group. In groups with rotations, it seems more like there is a consensus ranking system by the admissions committee. The top-ranked applicants are sent offers first, according to how much funding there is. The rest are "wait-listed" but may not even be informed that they are waiting. This explains why some of you haven't heard from programs yet. Once those invitations start coming back with "no" responses, they begin to invite more people off of the wait-list, going down the rankings. They do this until they have maxed out their funding. Then, if professors still want students from lower down the rankings, they can offer up RA-ships from their own grants (if they have them).

If you haven't heard yet, don't worry. You could be the next person on that list, or a professor could be scrounging up money to invite you in. If it's not a rejection, it's not final.

Edit: For the programs that send out all notices at once, if you haven't heard anything yet, I think you're probably one of the ones that is waiting for funding. You may even be good for funding, but the professors are trying to identify which source they want to offer you to come in on.

I just want to echo that I've heard this as well, from multiple schools.

Did you get rejected from UTHSC with no interview? or post interview?

LOL it was a rejection without an interview! It was a straight up "No." It's odd though because I work for the school and met with Karen directly. She was the one who told me to apply and that I was a great candidate. I just don't know what to say.. it was horrible, because I was sure I would at least receive an invite. I even did pretty well (compared to their stats) on the GRE and have a Masters degree as well..

Oh well, you can't have it all..

I reached out to them. I have been emailing back and forth with one of my interviewers who I connected really well with. He recommended me for admissions and sent an email to the director of the program, but it doesn't seem like he had as much say as I had hoped. So eventually I just called them, and they told me today I was very high on an alternate list and will be receiving an email later on today about it.

Thanks for the info. Good luck, hopefully you receive good news in your email.