2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

I'm not, but I *am* going nuts waiting for Pitt IBGP...

UPitt IBGP is doing one last interview this weekend, so they might be waiting for that to make a decision altogether.

I'm not, but I *am* going nuts waiting for Pitt IBGP...

I remember Pitt will call you first and they don't email decisions. Instead, they will send you an UPS package with the letter. Maybe, you will hear back from some of your interviewers. I got 5 emails from interviewers even before I get the official letter. Good luck!

AHHHHHHH! Just got a phone call, I'm in at Stanford Dev Bio!!!!!!!!!! 

Congrats!! So much happiness on this thread today :D :D :D 

Rejected post interview from UC Davis Immunology. Saw that one coming - I think it showed how much I disliked the program during recruitment weekend. Where's the good news???

Well, if you had to get a rejection, it's pretty awesome that you wouldn't have gone to that school anyway :P Hope good news comes your way soon!

YAYYYY! Just received my official acceptance to UC Berkeley Integrative Biology! I am officially going to grad school in the fall!!!!!!!!!! :D

Edit: I accidentally upvoted myself and now I can't undo it. However, in reflection, I would upvote it again lol

Edited by iheartplants

I remember Pitt will call you first and they don't email decisions. Instead, they will send you an UPS package with the letter. Maybe, you will hear back from some of your interviewers. I got 5 emails from interviewers even before I get the official letter. Good luck!

YAYYYY! Just received my official acceptance to UC Berkeley Integrative Biology! I am officially going to grad school in the fall!!!!!!!!!! :D

Edit: I accidentally upvoted myself and now I can't undo it. However, in reflection, I would upvote it again lol

Totally fine! I think that when you get accepted, you should be allowed to upvote yourself.  ;)

Wahoo! Congrats!! B)

Bet it feels good to finally hear some good news!

Anyone else getting annoyed with the places you've heard absolutely nothing from? When the heck are they planning on rejecting me? :huh:

I haven't heard back from two programs yet. I gave up on them and accepted an offer I received in January.

I haven't heard back from two programs yet. I gave up on them and accepted an offer I received in January.

What program did you accept and which ones were you waiting to hear back from? Were they post interview? I assume if you haven't received an interview somewhere at this point its safe to accept an offer somewhere else.

Rejected post interview from UC Davis Immunology. Saw that one coming - I think it showed how much I disliked the program during recruitment weekend. Where's the good news???

Hahaha.  Same here.

Congratulations!!!  I was there this weekend for Immuno, and now I'm going to go crazy until I hear something. D:

Congratulations!!!  I was there this weekend for Immuno, and now I'm going to go crazy until I hear something. D:

Right there with ya. It's so hard to wait it out... I'm going to try to learn programming as a distraction from constantly refreshing the forum and results page haha.

Rejected from University of Washington Microbiology post interview by email.  I would have declined anyways.  Looks like I am officially moving to the east coast from California, whether that be at Pitt, Sinai, or Johns Hopkins.

What program did you accept and which ones were you waiting to hear back from? Were they post interview? I assume if you haven't received an interview somewhere at this point its safe to accept an offer somewhere else.

Accepted an offer from UVM. I didn't hear from SUNY-Buffalo or from UMN. No interview offer, no contact of any sort. Even if by some freak chance they do accept me, I don't care at this point. I like what I saw at UVM.

Rejected from University of Washington Microbiology post interview by email.  I would have declined anyways.  Looks like I am officially moving to the east coast from California, whether that be at Pitt, Sinai, or Johns Hopkins.

I've lived in Pittsburgh my whole life, so if you have any questions about the area (should you choose PITT) feel free to shoot me a message!

Stanford and Berkeley!!! Fantastic :D Congrats you both!!

Question for you all....At my interview this past weekend the director came up to me at the final dinner to tell me that I had been nominated for a university fellowship. It sounded like it was a bit of an honor and so I got too excited and forgot to ask questions. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what this might generally mean in terms of funding? The stipend for a university fellowship at this place is actually 2k less than the program stipend, so I'm a little confused why this would be a good thing haha. Also, is it safe to assume that I'll be getting an acceptance here?Thanks for the help!!

Question for you all....At my interview this past weekend the director came up to me at the final dinner to tell me that I had been nominated for a university fellowship. It sounded like it was a bit of an honor and so I got too excited and forgot to ask questions. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what this might generally mean in terms of funding? The stipend for a university fellowship at this place is actually 2k less than the program stipend, so I'm a little confused why this would be a good thing haha. Also, is it safe to assume that I'll be getting an acceptance here?Thanks for the help!!

I can tell you my experience with uni/college/dept fellowships.

I got the college fellowship $27k + $6k summer for 1 year.

Then I got the uni fellowship $25k for 5 years.

The uni one looks smaller, but it's larger in terms of years of funding.

Also, you can often get the uni fellowship to match the college fellowship you already won.

Edited by Monochrome Spring

I got a fellowship like this at Penn State. It doesn't increase my stipend, but it's awesome for the department because my funding comes from Penn State and not the program. Also looks good on a resume.

Usually, they nominate only the best candidates for the university fellowships, so it is a very good sign. And when a fellowship pays less than the standard departmental stipend, it is the norm for the program to match the difference so that you're not discriminated against for having an external funding source.