2014 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Monochrome Spring

Any of you know about taxes??? I am an international student and was offered an stipend of 2880 USD/month but I heard that it would be substantially reduced after taxes and as I am planning on housing and living expenses I would really like to know how much taxes I have to pay.

Hey Sylvia88, I am an international, too. I'm also curious about US taxes on stipend.  

Maybe this topic could be a new independent topic for grad life forum. 

Hey Sylvia88, I am an international, too. I'm also curious about US taxes on stipend.  

Hey nermah1,

Yes, I do think that it would be very helpfull for all international students.

I have looked into this. Unfortunately, TA, RA, and GA stipends, scholarships, and fellowships all count as taxable income, which means we have to pay federal and state income taxes. How much this amounts to depends primarily on how much your stipend is and which state you live in. The IRS has an online calculator which can be used to roughly estimate how much federal income tax you can expect to pay <http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/IRS-Withholding-Calculator>. Most states will supply a similar calculator if you do some digging. Alternatively, you can use this tool <http://www.tax-rates.org/income-tax-calculator/embed/?ref=siteembed>, but it is not nearly as accurate as an official state calculator would be.

While we are taking classes, it looks like we are exempt from paying FICA taxes, which fund social security and medicare. It appears this exemption goes away once we are engaged in full-time research, though. The FICA tax appears to be a flat tax of 7.65% of total wages earned.

If you are paid weekly/biweekly/monthly (i.e., using paychecks), these taxes will be deducted automatically from your salary. Once a year, you have to file a tax return, and you will either have to pay more taxes if enough money was not automatically deducted from your salary throughout the year, or you will receive a refund if too much money was deducted. If you are not paid via paycheck, this process will be slightly different, but it will likely not affect how much you have to pay in taxes.

As far as I know, the tax rules are the same for international students, though some of the details might be slightly different.

Any of you know about taxes??? I am an international student and was offered an stipend of 2880 USD/month but I heard that it would be substantially reduced after taxes and as I am planning on housing and living expenses I would really like to know how much taxes I have to pay.

I have looked into this. Unfortunately, TA, RA, and GA stipends, scholarships, and fellowships all count as taxable income, which means we have to pay federal and state income taxes. How much this amounts to depends primarily on how much your stipend is and which state you live in. The IRS has an online calculator which can be used to roughly estimate how much federal income tax you can expect to pay <http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/IRS-Withholding-Calculator>. Most states will supply a similar calculator if you do some digging. Alternatively, you can use this tool <http://www.tax-rates.org/income-tax-calculator/embed/?ref=siteembed>, but it is not nearly as accurate as an official state calculator would be.

While we are taking classes, it looks like we are exempt from paying FICA taxes, which fund social security and medicare. It appears this exemption goes away once we are engaged in full-time research, though. The FICA tax appears to be a flat tax of 7.65% of total wages earned.

If you are paid weekly/biweekly/monthly (i.e., using paychecks), these taxes will be deducted automatically from your salary. Once a year, you have to file a tax return, and you will either have to pay more taxes if enough money was not automatically deducted from your salary throughout the year, or you will receive a refund if too much money was deducted. If you are not paid via paycheck, this process will be slightly different, but it will likely not affect how much you have to pay in taxes.

As far as I know, the tax rules are the same for international students, though some of the details might be slightly different.

Thanks for the information sqzx

Received a large fellowship from Michigan State University.

1st year $33k + no TA/RA

2nd year ~$25k

3rd year ~$25k

4th year ~$25k

5th year ~$25k (+ more for inflation) + no TA/RA

edit: healthcare, tuition, and fees covered for all 5 years

Edited by Monochrome Spring

1st year $33k + tuition + fees + healthcare + no TA/RA

2nd year ~$25k

3rd year ~$25k

4th year ~$25k

5th year ~$25k (+ more for inflation) + tuition + fees + healthcare + no TA/RA

Plant Sciences Fellowship?

Actually, it depends on the tax agreements between the USA and your country. Some international students pay US taxes for stipends or fellowships while others don't. You can either read up on the IRS.gov web site or ask the international student office at the university.

1st year $33k + tuition + fees + healthcare + no TA/RA

2nd year ~$25k

3rd year ~$25k

4th year ~$25k

5th year ~$25k (+ more for inflation) + tuition + fees + healthcare + no TA/RA

awesome!

Congratulations! I'm so jealous...the wait for a decision is killing me!

Heard from a professor at UCSF iPQB yesterday! Woohoo!

Drinking away my sorrows from my Dartmouth rejection tonight... Hope all of you enjoy your Saturday night!

Don't take it too hard, you've got great offers! Their loss, for sure.

anyone know what the deal is with Boston University & Albert Einstein?

I've started applying to Master's programs after I received 4 rejections this week.

What program in BU did you apply for? 

Also, if you don't mind sharing, what program at Tufts did you apply to? 

What program in BU did you apply for? 

Also, if you don't mind sharing, what program at Tufts did you apply to? 

I applied to PiBS in BU, and in Tufts I applied to the Molecular Microbiology/MERGE-ID. Tufts Molecular Microbiology is not doing any more interviews, if you're still holding out on that program.

I applied to PiBS in BU, and in Tufts I applied to the Molecular Microbiology/MERGE-ID. Tufts Molecular Microbiology is not doing any more interviews, if you're still holding out on that program.

I'm waiting on Tufts' straight up bio dept (not sackler). Sorry I have no news for you on PiBS. :( 

Fight the good fight, it ain't April 15th yet. 

Edited by pyrocide